UKC

Wiggo nails his colours to the mast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-to-stay-at-team-sky-in-2015

Looks like he's moved to end the speculation (or possibly James Murdoch has been banging heads together behind the scenes). Wiggo is still arguably team Sky's most marketable asset - particularly with Froomdog crashing out of Le Tour in spectacular fashion. Assuming Froome recovers from his injuries in time, it's going to throw up some selection issues for La Vuelta and the Tour of Britain.
Ady Short 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

I'm not sure that I'd seen if Wiggins was scheduled for the Vuelta before or the ToB, all I'd seen was that he was looking to return to the track for the CommonWealth games I think (?). It would be good to see him get the nod ahead of Froome for the Vuelta though, surely Froome can't have it all his own way, I wouldn't like to be a team manager for Sky when that conversation comes up, although they may just pick some French guy as the team lead if they have one!

Ady
 balmybaldwin 14 Jul 2014

That's quite surprising. The article is a bit mixed up though especially this bit:

"My time as a Grand Tour rider is over. I'll still ride them but not to win them," he reportedly said. "I'll sign up now for this event next year. If Sky doesn’t take me to the Tour, I'll be back."

Mike Stretford 14 Jul 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> "My time as a Grand Tour rider is over. I'll still ride them but not to win them," he reportedly said. "I'll sign up now for this event next year. If Sky doesn’t take me to the Tour, I'll be back."

He's talking about the Pinarello Cycling Marathon ('this event'.... it's were he was speaking).
 balmybaldwin 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Ah... that makes sense
 Chris the Tall 14 Jul 2014

Have to say I amazed at this, but I guess he is known for changing his mind often. I suppose with his focus now on Rio, staying close to British Cycling makes a lot of sense. I think he said something last year about hating being away from his family for a grand tour (with the prep), so I don't think he'll miss that. Obviously he was desperate to start this years TDF, but clearly his commitment to finishing and supporting Froome was dubious.

Which is why I can't see him and Froome doing the Vuelta together - if Froome is fit he'll be desperate to try and rescue something from his season, so won't want an awkward passenger along for a training ride
 balmybaldwin 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I thought DB had quit as head of GB cycling team? are tehre other parts of the Sky set-up that work on team GB then?
 Chris the Tall 14 Jul 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

They still share a HQ in Manchester, but more importantly I think there are some coaches who work for both.
 Henry Iddon 15 Jul 2014
Froome needs the Vuelta to salvage his season - Brad needs the Vuelta as prep for his main season goal the Worlds. Spains national tour is viewed as the defacto 'get hard racing miles in' event pre Worlds RR and ITT.
As soon as Brad had finished California he was on track training for Com Games with the plan then to do the Vuelta.

They'll both go to Spain - Sky would look pretty silly if there was a rumpus similar to the TdF selections.
Post edited at 09:50
 Mike Stretford 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> As soon as Brad had finished California he was on track training for Com Games with the plan then to do the Vuelta.

> They'll both go to Spain - Sky would look pretty silly if there was a rumpus similar to the TdF selections.

I can't help thinking the 'rumpus' was media manufactured. Wiggins gave his intention to ride in Glasgow a while ago. Would he really have done the TdF, finished in Paris, then gone up to Glasgow a few days later for a track race, having not prepared with his track team mates? As you say he was on the track straight after California so that was suggest a long standing plan was in place?
 Arms Cliff 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> They'll both go to Spain - Sky would look pretty silly if there was a rumpus similar to the TdF selections.

If Brailsford sticks by his rationale for the team selection (i.e. strongest team not strongest riders) I can't see how he could take Wiggins to Spain if looking for a win for Froome.

steveriley 15 Jul 2014

The entirely predictable tentative removal of colours from mast:
http://road.cc/content/news/123762-bradley-wiggins%E2%80%99-future-sky-stil...

Chris the Tall 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Wiggins always intended to ride the TT in Glasgow, but after doing the TDF, just as he did in London 2012. He only switched to track once it became clear he wouldn't be in the team.

As to the Vuelta, I can't see him doing it if Froome is fit, particularly with the field looking tougher and tougher by the day. Not a course to suit him, and Sky wouldn't want a troublesome passenger. Far more likely to do the Tour of Britain
 Mike Stretford 15 Jul 2014

> Wiggins always intended to ride the TT in Glasgow, but after doing the TDF, just as he did in London 2012. He only switched to track once it became clear he wouldn't be in the team.

Yeah, but that seems to have been before the 'rumpus', he was on the track straight after California while the TdF team were of training at altitude. Like I said it suggests a long standing plan Wiggins himself was part of.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...