UKC

Bouldering Sheffiled

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Imogen Gray 31 Aug 2020

Recommendations on best outdoor bouldering sites in the peak district? 

Also looking out for a second hand bouldering mat, Ta!

robert-hutton 31 Aug 2020
In reply to Imogen Gray:

Burbage valley is very good and close to Sheffield

tjdodd 31 Aug 2020
In reply to Imogen Gray:

Lots of options.  Take a look on the crag map on here and refine by bouldering.  But obvious places closest to Sheffield are:

Burbage North

Burbage South

Higgar Tor

Stanage Far Right

Stanage Plantation

Curbar

Froggat

Off the top of my head these are the main spots and there are a good range of grades in most of the spots.  Worth getting one of the two main bouldering guides for the Peak.

Further afield there are loads of other good spots in the Peak.

Worth looking at Psychi for a cheaper new mat if you are finding it difficult to get a second hand one.  Climbing Works hire out mats whilst you are trying to find a mat.

slab_happy 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Imogen Gray:

Have you bouldered outside before? If not, Burbage South Valley boulders would be my top rec as a starting place.

It's also great if you've done plenty outdoors, but it's ideal for making the indoor/outdoor transition -- lots of good easy problems, mostly not too high and with decent landings.

I believe Alpkit in Hathersage also do mat rental.

afx22 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Imogen Gray:

Robin Hood’s Stride is a nice and friendly place if you’re new to outdoors bouldering. It’s not as extensive as Burbage South but the top outs are generally easier.  You should go to both!

Michael Hood 01 Sep 2020
In reply to afx22:

And you've got the Cratcliffe top boulders just next door to RHS - unless the bracken's still too high.

For both RHS and CT, I think they'll still be midgy unless there's a breeze; I'm delaying my next visit until later in autumn. Recent visitors - please confirm or correct about midges.

thepodge 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

I've an old Moon pad that is surplus to requirements if you are interested. 

Difficult to say where is best as everyone has a different idea of what that is. 

In reply to Imogen Gray:

Burbage also has the bonus of a bus from ecclesall Road area to the Fox House.

You can also bus/train to Hathersage but its a longer (but not too long) uphill walk to Stanage.

OP Imogen Gray 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Imogen Gray:

Thanks!! All sounds great. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...