UKC

BBC Phil Shostakovich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 03 Mar 2024

Lucky enough to be in the Bridgewater Hall last night for the BBC Philharmonic playing Shostakovich Fifth. I’m not really a good judge of the technicalities but, having attended this work several times I have to say this was riveting from the first note to the last. The orchestra, which was drilled to perfection, was conducted by the Russian/Ukrainian Anna Rakatina, a tiny slip of a woman who nevertheless had the orchestra in the palm of her hand. 
As with all the Phil’s home concerts, the performance was recorded for Radio 3 and will be available on BBC Sounds shortly if not already. I’ll be looking to see if they bring out a CD of it, though I already have two versions of this work.

squashmiller 03 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Assuming she was stood on a podium like most conductors do, why do you mention her stature? Would you have used the same phrase if it was a man? I doubt you would have said “a tiny slip of a man who “nevertheless” had the orchestra in the palm of his hand” so why mention it at all? 

OP Rog Wilko 03 Mar 2024
In reply to squashmiller:

Because there are, I believe, many years of prejudice against women to overcome in the sphere of orchestral conducting and I think for a woman (or a man) of small physical stature this becomes even more difficult. Perhaps I am wrong and just displaying a misogynistic outlook which I do not recognise in myself.

felt 03 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Most male conductors are shorter than average.

https://ccyager.wordpress.com/2008/02/29/does-height-make-the-conductor/

Pedro50 03 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Not misogynistic, perhaps a little sexist.

felt 03 Mar 2024
In reply to felt:

In the comments in my link it's stressed that the beat plane of shorter conductors is lower, so higher-desk violinists and cellists, and other players near the podium don't have to strain their necks to such an extent to see the baton. This suggests that shorter conductors might have more control over an orchestra.

I wonder if this predominance of short conductors reflects something of a Napoleon complex among them. In Dad's Army, Mainwaring would undoubtedly have taken the baton, while of the tall men I can see Wilson as a violinist, Pike on clarinet, Hodges on tuba and Walker touting tickets outside.

Yanchik 04 Mar 2024
In reply to squashmiller:

More intrigued as to how the individual manages to be Russian/Ukrainian. I'm all against polarisation, but in current circumstances that's not an easy mix. Myself, at Twickenham on Saturday I'll be Irish/English, but the stakes are thankfully lower. 

I'll google her, and perhaps report back. 

Y

veteye 04 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Just to expand on the moderate or modest height idea, with a female slant, how do you feel about Marin Alsop (spelling)?

I think that she can be quite variable, but obviously enjoys the last night of the Proms.

freeflyer 04 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Anna Rakitina.

Russian mum and Ukranian dad, now an international star.

https://www.annarakitina.com/biography

What's not to like?

My view would be that the players and soloists only bother with the conductor if they're any good and/or the piece is demanding enough to require some coordination. In fact it's one of the more enjoyable aspects of a live performance, working out who rates who sufficiently highly to command their attention.

Sticking to the amusing stereotyping of the OP, I imagine anyone transfixed by those eyes would pay attention.

hokkyokusei 05 Mar 2024
In reply to veteye:

> Just to expand on the moderate or modest height idea, with a female slant, how do you feel about Marin Alsop (spelling)?

> I think that she can be quite variable, but obviously enjoys the last night of the Proms.

I saw Marin Alsop conduct Górecki's 3rd  ( was originally scheduled to be the premier if the fourth , but it hadn't been finished) symphony at the royal festival hall. It was magnificent.

steveriley 05 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Anyway, thanks for the reminder to go back to Shostakovich 5, brilliantly austere from the start. I think I’ve seen it at both the Bridgewater and Free Trades Halls.

OP Rog Wilko 05 Mar 2024
In reply to Yanchik:

> More intrigued as to how the individual manages to be Russian/Ukrainian. I'm all against polarisation, but in current circumstances that's not an easy mix. Myself, at Twickenham on Saturday I'll be Irish/English, but the stakes are thankfully lower. 

> I'll google her, and perhaps report back. 

> Y

The programme notes referred to her being born in Russia to one Russian and one Ukrainian parent.

OP Rog Wilko 05 Mar 2024
In reply to veteye:

> Just to expand on the moderate or modest height idea, with a female slant, how do you feel about Marin Alsop (spelling)?

> I think that she can be quite variable, but obviously enjoys the last night of the Proms.

I’ve only seen her at work on TV, but I have been quite impressed. I think she’s  been a good role model for women conductors such that we don’t do a double take when we see a women holding the baton. Not sure if role model is quite the phrase I’m searching for, but it’ll have to do. I haven’t noticed her stature.

OP Rog Wilko 05 Mar 2024
In reply to steveriley:

It certainly was a thrilling performance last Saturday. Although I’m familiar with the work I’ve never really felt I’ve got the full understanding of the third movement (Largo) before. It is said that the first performance in Russia brought large numbers of the audience to tears, and I can understand that better now. On Saturday the first bar or two of the following Finale movement almost had me jumping out of my seat, so shocking was it.

I really hope they’ll bring out this performance on a CD.

Andy Clarke 05 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I feel I must point out that not even Shostakovich's best friends were allowed to address him as "Phil". He always insisted upon the formal Phillip, or, at  a pinch, Dmitri. Show some respect.

OP Rog Wilko 05 Mar 2024
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> I feel I must point out that not even Shostakovich's best friends were allowed to address him as "Phil". He always insisted upon the formal Phillip, or, at  a pinch, Dmitri. Show some respect.

I had almost given up hope of anyone making this comment - I’d been expecting it.

Andy Clarke 05 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'm here all week, try the borscht!

Pedro50 05 Mar 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> I had almost given up hope of anyone making this comment - I’d been expecting it.

I was sorely tempted! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...