UKC

Book about the British Legal System. Recommendations please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 07 Feb 2022

From reading one or two threads recently, such as the Farmer damaging the car and another one recently, its seems clear to me that there is much confusion about how the legal system works, and I am not totally convinced I know any better. Therefore I shall read a book.

Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject of The British Legal System please, one that is well referenced but not too academic would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

Yanis Nayu 07 Feb 2022
In reply to Godwin:

The Secret Barrister has a few books that might fit the brief (pun intended). 

Lrunner 07 Feb 2022
In reply to Godwin:

There is a clear distinction between the Legal System in England and Wales compared to Scotland. Much too complicated to get into now. But if England and Wales is where you live consider "The Rule of Law" by  John Bingham.  Its short and relatively easy to understand. 

"on liberty" by shami chakrabarti is an interesting account of some of the more interesting stuff in law.  

If you like the radio/ podcasts Law in Action on Radio 4 is really fantastic at explaining stuff for the layman.  

I'm not a lawyer and I find that radio show has increased my knowledge no end. Its much more proffessional then alot on nonsense "true crime" podcasts. 

I suspect they will cover the farmer case soon, they have done some good work on the extinction rebellion verdicts in which juries have acquitted defendants.

LR

Post edited at 11:48
 Doug 07 Feb 2022
In reply to Lrunner:

> There is a clear distinction between the Legal System in England and Wales compared to Scotland.

Maybe not strictly 'British' but isn't the legal system in Northern Ireland also different to both Scots and English/Welsh law?

Iggy_B 07 Feb 2022
In reply to Godwin:

The Tyrannicide Brief - not at all what you're looking for but an exceptionally good legal book.

Tony Buckley 07 Feb 2022
In reply to Lrunner:

> they have done some good work on the extinction rebellion verdicts in which juries have acquitted defendants.

I'm very happy to admit my ignorance about such things, but I've wondered why the extinction rebellion protests weren't covered by the laws around secondary picketing; which, to my limited mind, seems to be exactly what they are.

But I'm very happy to be educated about this, and apologies for the thread diversion.

T.

OP Godwin 07 Feb 2022
In reply to Lrunner:

Thats most helpful, thank you, I have ordered "The Rule of Law".

I will subscribe to the Podcast, I have listened in the past to the Programme, but had not picked up that it is a Podcast. 

Thanks again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...