UKC

French pianist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 14 Apr 2023

Hélène Grimaud - she's been around for a while now - has anyone else discovered her ?

Interview (video, 26mins ) in english after czeck intro. It includes impromptu passages from Ravel, Rachmaninov & Mozart. I have sometimes considered Mozart's work to be a bit mechanical, but this rendition proves otherwise; it's all in the nuance as Grimaud says - timing of milliseconds is what brings to life Mozart, and that of all composers.  

youtube.com/watch?v=6CvaG4-luYc&

Music however is not the only passion which motivates Grimaud. V surprising !

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/826624.Wild_Harmonies

CantClimbTom 14 Apr 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

She only plays cover versions? Doesn't she have any of her own material? 

Post edited at 18:21
 Blue Straggler 18 Apr 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

Thanks, her fame is enough that I knew her name without knowing details beyond "classical". I'll check out the YouTube tomorrow. Book looks fascinating. 

In return I'll give you a name worth looking up. Caroline Shaw. Don't know if she has animal sanctuaries but her musical accomplishments as a modern composer (should keep CantClimbTom happy!) are extraordinary. 

Post edited at 23:17
OP LeeWood 23 Apr 2023
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> In return I'll give you a name worth looking up. Caroline Shaw.

Well, she's certainly v modern and prolific. Adventurous, a bit short on melodic invention, but that epoch is over

I listened to this collab with Kanye West - rather catchy except the bizarre overlayed gaming pin-pong beeps. But I doubt CS was responsible for these :/

youtube.com/watch?v=qtnadEa5IbI&

Blue Straggler 23 Apr 2023
In reply to LeeWood:

A confession, I've only really heard her "Orange" album (you may find it credited, on your streaming platform of choice, to Attaca Quartet). Heard "Plan and Elevation V: Beech Tree" on Radio 3 one morning and traced it back to this album which I've been enjoying a lot. Otherwise, have only heard a few clips here and there. So, where I said "her musical accomplishments are extraordinary", I was just parroting and making assumptions based on her professional biography. Apologies. 

Post edited at 23:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...