UKC

Has anyone seen 'Poor Things'?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 28 Jan 2024

What did you think?! Would you recommend it to a friend?

In reply to Phil1919:

Yes I've seen it. It was interesting, quirky, great acting but not someting you'd recommend to your grandmother or a friend who only really likes traditional hollywood films.

Would recommend it to some friends, not to others.

8/10 from me.

OP Phil1919 28 Jan 2024
In reply to mountain.martin:

Thanks. Yes, I agree. I gave it 8 as well. About 20 mins too long in France for me.

badgerjockey 28 Jan 2024
In reply to Phil1919:

Amazing film to look at. Don’t watch it with your mum/Nan/in-laws, though. Great to see a film of Gilliam/Lynchian grotesqueness; not had one of those for a while. Almost disturbing in places - borderline gratuitous. But great acting all round. 

OP Phil1919 28 Jan 2024
In reply to badgerjockey:

......or as the paper said, your first date with your new girlfriend.

Blue Straggler 30 Jan 2024
In reply to Phil1919:

I somehow found myself arguing (not for long as there is no argument) with a very angry Scottish random Internet character who thought it should have been filmed entirely in Scotland with only Scottish actors. This actually felt like a bonus post credits scene 

Harry Jarvis 30 Jan 2024
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I somehow found myself arguing (not for long as there is no argument) with a very angry Scottish random Internet character who thought it should have been filmed entirely in Scotland with only Scottish actors. This actually felt like a bonus post credits scene 

Given that much of the book is set outside Scotland and has a number of non-Scottish characters, they seem particularly ridiculous demands. It's not impossible that your random internet character latched on to the fact that the original Glasgow elements of the book have been replaced by London and has extrapolated well beyond that. 

David Alcock 31 Jan 2024
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Well given that Glasgow is the very blood of Alasdair Gray's novels, I can well imagine the outrage at this cultural appropriation. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...