UKC

I must not fear… part two

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alx 03 Mar 2024

Dune Part Two

Fan of the books, liked what they did for the first film in 2021.

Who has seen part two and was it worth it?

dunc56 03 Mar 2024
In reply to alx:

Synopsis. Some sand, some scrapping. A bit of mysticism, a few revelations and some shuffling about of allegiances.

if you saw 1 then Shirley you have to watch 2 ?

sandrow 04 Mar 2024
In reply to alx:

> Dune Part Two

> Fan of the books, liked what they did for the first film in 2021.

> Who has seen part two and was it worth it?

Loved the first film.

Second film not as good. They really messed up the whole Alia thing! I don't think the third film will be able to recover from it. A 4yo Alia killing her grandfather at the end of film 2 would have been the jolt it needed. They've left us with a "cutesy" unborn Alia. One thing she shouldn't be is "cute".

planetmarshall 04 Mar 2024
In reply to alx:

> Dune Part Two

> Fan of the books, liked what they did for the first film in 2021.

I never really get the criticism of film adaptions that, "it wasn't true to the book" or "they missed X out".

It's not the book. It's an adaption. If you like the book...just read the book?

I haven't seen part two yet, but I admit to being a fan of the 1984 adaption because, well, it's Lynch and it's bonkers. 

GEd_83 04 Mar 2024
In reply to alx:

Seen it on Friday, and I thought it was fantastic. I thought it was better than the first, especially when you consider the second half of the book is a lot more complex to adapt. Amazing cinematography, music, everything really. I thought the deviations from the book were the correct choices. It's up there with Godfather part 2 in terms of sequels.

GEd_83 04 Mar 2024
In reply to sandrow:

"They've left us with a "cutesy" unborn Alia. One thing she shouldn't be is "cute"."

It's shown as an unborn fetus throughout the film, I didn't get any sense of cuteness at all, and I thought it was really well done, and also a good decision to deviate from the book. It's probably also deviates because he's got Dune Messiah in mind, which will be even more difficult to adapt.

Post edited at 09:09
 Inhambane 04 Mar 2024
In reply to alx:

haven't read the books, but the film was ace, awesome sound and visuals 

dunc56 04 Mar 2024
In reply to alx:

one thing I would say seriously is go and see it at IMAX or some big screen with decent sound - it makes a big difference.

In reply to planetmarshall:

I don’t know if they’ll ever get as far as God Emperor of Dune, but I want a joint Herzog/Lynch directorial team with an AI version of Kinski as Leto Atreidies

Im a big fan of the 1984 film 

planetmarshall 04 Mar 2024
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> I don’t know if they’ll ever get as far as God Emperor of Dune, but I want a joint Herzog/Lynch directorial team with an AI version of Kinski as Leto Atreidies

I never got that far with the books - is that the one with the half-man, half-worm thing? I think that's more Cronenberg territory than Lynch.

midgen 04 Mar 2024
In reply to planetmarshall:

> I never got that far with the books - is that the one with the half-man, half-worm thing? I think that's more Cronenberg territory than Lynch.

Yes, it's awful, the whole book serves mainly as a soapbox for a lot of very tedious philosophising from Herbert. I've never found any of the books particularly engaging after the first, frankly there are loads of better scifi writers out there..... if only they would stop faffing about with the Ian M Banks rights.... 

Blue Straggler 05 Mar 2024
In reply to alx:

It's worth it, and worth seeing in IMAX (not for sheer size as such, but for the SOUND) but it's more a 7.5/10 from me, than the drooling hyperbole being floated around about it. It is an absolute spectacle for sure, with superb world-building from Villeneuve and his team, and seemed to have a lot more life to it than did Pt .1 (although it's a while since I saw that), and the pacing and a few editorial decisions seem to make it really echo David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia in a good and respectful way. It is not without flaws though. Hopefully no spoilers here but just a couple of examples:
there is a scene where Paul is shown to walk without rhythm. But we already saw in Pt. 1 that he and Jessica were aware of this necessity and executed it adequately;
Stilgar's unyielding faith in the Prophecy and belief in Paul, is massively over-egged to the point where it feels like he is being used for some sort of comic relief. 
Other niggles but overall it's still very good. As expected, Florence Pugh is spot-on, and of course Austin Butler, but possibly in a relatively tiny role, Lea Seydoux steals the whole thing. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...