UKC

Kinder Scout podcast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 helin 23 Jan 2022

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0ytSYzck0hpb04XG3JfcZD?si=ojV7fB9ER--16N3Q...

Here's a link to a recent podcast about Kinder Scout and the work Moors For The Future are doing to improve the peat bogs

In reply to helin:

I'm no fan of Moors For The Future,  I do see that the peat moor land was at risk, and the work done has started to stabilized, so what's not to like ?

Moors For The Future, are a partnership, I confess to not having carefully studied the make up of this, I surmise that the big funders are the water companies and the Environment agency.  A fear I have is that once the  works are completed funding will not be as forthcoming, the water company shareholders will not be seeing the value any more, the E.A. will also as long as Glossop  stays dry.

In the podcast it was said that the plastic corrugated dams  are being phased out in favour of rock  or bales. I suppose the need to dam quickly and at low cost was urgent when installed. the speeding of heather brash, grass and other seeds was also commented on.   All of this set a alarm bells ringing.  The seed and brash  has  introduced the 3 R's  Rosebay willowherb, Ragwort, and Rhododendron. along with [fir] trees. It will not be long if left unchecked the whole landscape will change - again.  The main funders will have had there whish a stable sponge to attenuate the discharge of water, and have little incentive to fund. Moreover if more vigorous plants establish [ Rhododendron,  fir's] it will be a added bonus of better stabilization.

I wonder what the long turn will bring, it was not addressed in the pod cast, and having introduced  corrugated plastic the 3R' and a plantation of Fir, will that be that. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...