UKC

Recommend me a to series

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 13 Feb 2022

Looking for a good tv program, just finished the responder

Nothing too violent, mildly thought provoking but not hard work?

elliot.baker 13 Feb 2022
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Ozark probably the best thing I’ve seen that’s currently on tv. It has some violence but it’s probably only about a 7/10 in violence terms. The overall drama, production, acting and plot are amazing. Its on Netflix 

alan moore 13 Feb 2022

Catastrophe. Funny, clever, painful.

elsewhere 13 Feb 2022

The Promise - French crime series from writer of Spiral.

BBC4 and I think all six episodes on iPlayer.

Tom Valentine 13 Feb 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Just about to start Promises so can't vouch for its quality, pity Audrey Fleurot isn't in the cast.

Otherwise a big supporting vote for Ozark: been criticised on here for daring to equate it to the "Shakespearean " qualities of The Wire and The Sopranos but for me it is every bit their match.

FactorXXX 14 Feb 2022

What I've enjoyed recently:

Hidden Series 1.
Set in Snowdonia, it's a dark and creepy 'Crim vs Cop' drama with a couple of sub plots for extra theatre.
Here's the Guardian's review of it:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jul/02/missing-the-bridge-alr...

Series 2 is OK, but nothing like as good as the original series.
Keeping it in Wales, there is Hinterland which is made by the same people and has a similar 'Nordic Noir' feel to it.

Moving out of Wales, there is the beautifully filmed 'Vienna Blood' which is a mix of period drama and Tony Hill/Carol Jordan.  Really easy to watch with engaging main characters.

sandrow 14 Feb 2022

Hey Duggee - not too violent, mildly thought provoking and not hard work!

The new Reacher series on Amazon is good.  It's very faithful to the 1st book in the Jack Reacher series, much better than the Tom Cruise movie.

elsewhere 14 Feb 2022

TV and iPlayer

Iain Robertson Rambles - BBC Scotland 

Great Coastal Railway Journeys - BBC Two

Thanks some good recommendations

midway through Ozark season two a few months ago.

My wife suffers from severe anxiety which can occasionally be triggered by more "challenging" series especially longer shows (increases odds of a bad day hitting a "bad" episode).

Thanks for the recommendations.

Offwidth 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Tom Valentine:

The Promise looks good so far.

MisterPiggy 14 Feb 2022
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Mmm... Yeeess... Pretty good though Reacher doesn't lope across the landscape as in the books, he struts as if changing weight station in the gym. And his shoes... Not the classic, handmade Norwegian welts of book fame, but wannabe work boots from Walmart.

Those petty gripes aside, I binged the whole series and am looking forward to season two. And the punch ups were just as good as in the books. 😀

For other series suggestions, I enjoyed immensely Sex Education on Netflix: funny as hell, touching and really quite topical in the topics approached and thoughtful in the way they were presented/explored.

oldie 14 Feb 2022

Hard getting thought provoking but non-violent.

Nordic Murders (All 4) perhaps.

JMarkW 14 Feb 2022

Cheer season 1.

Yes I know. But like these folk are amazing!

Wimlands 14 Feb 2022

I hugely enjoyed watching “The Tourist” https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0b6c8t6/the-tourist

Just squint a bit when they get to the violent bits….

Post edited at 19:32
 jonfun21 14 Feb 2022

This is going to hurt

all episodes on iPlayer, think it’s also being broadcast on TV over several weeks 

jonfun21 14 Feb 2022
In reply to sandrow:

“mildly thought provoking and not hard work!”

More like mind bending....

youtube.com/watch?v=K05N2jqFHc8&

Rich W Parker 14 Feb 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

The finale to the previous season was absolutely mind blowing. 

Tom Valentine 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Literally.

Post edited at 20:19
 Welsh Kate 14 Feb 2022
In reply to FactorXXX:

Hidden (or Craith) may be set in north Wales, but was filmed all over the place. The opening scenes were filmed by the Taff at Pontsarn on the edge of Merthyr Tydfil. I'm in the scene where they find the body at the start of ep.1 (we were providing some safety support and they roped us in for the filming itself!). It was interesting - and quite a long shoot - because they filmed it entirely first in English, then filmed the whole think again in Welsh. Brilliant that neither language was given primacy.

In reply to MisterPiggy:

> Mmm... Yeeess... Pretty good though Reacher doesn't lope across the landscape as in the books, he struts as if changing weight station in the gym. And his shoes... Not the classic, handmade Norwegian welts of book fame, but wannabe work boots from Walmart.

Yes, I thought the actor cast as Reacher wasn't perfect.  A bit too personable and a bit of the gym steroid yuppy that Reacher tears apart several times per book, rather than the Army Major.  But at least they got a big guy rather than a midget like Tom Cruise and they followed the book closely!

In reply to jonfun21:

> This is going to hurt

> all episodes on iPlayer, think it’s also being broadcast on TV over several weeks 

Like a watered down day at work. Although now I recall some of (possibly) inappropriate banter..........

In reply to jonfun21:

Yes 4 episodes in now 👍

lpretro1 17 Feb 2022

Schitts Creek - takes a bit of getting into but it's belting

Sherlock 20 Feb 2022
In reply to MisterPiggy:

> And his shoes... Not the classic, handmade Norwegian welts of book fame, but wannabe work boots from Walmart.

Surely his shoes were British? Made by Cheaney's of Northampton 😊.

Post edited at 18:27
 Arcturus 20 Feb 2022

Inventing Anna

deacondeacon 20 Feb 2022

I've recently been really enjoying Fraggle Rock. The old series are on YouTube and there's a new series on AppleTV.

Sean Kelly 21 Feb 2022
In reply to Arcturus:

Yes, something different and quite watchable. HS the girl from Ozark too in the lead.

Herdwickmatt 21 Feb 2022

Derry girls. It’s pretty much the only thing I’ll recommend these days

aln 21 Feb 2022

Kimetsu no Yaiba is great

LastBoyScout 21 Feb 2022
In reply to Wimlands:

> I hugely enjoyed watching “The Tourist” https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0b6c8t6/the-tourist

It wasn't too bad, until they got to the last episode, which was crap!

Seen a few things recently that all have crap endings in common - includes The Teacher

Cobra_Head 22 Feb 2022

"Dead To Me" was OK not too outlandish and funny in parts. With some interesting questions.

Cobra_Head 22 Feb 2022
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

> Derry girls. It’s pretty much the only thing I’ll recommend these days

Brilliant, end of the first series, was worth it just for that.

In reply to LastBoyScout:

> It wasn't too bad, until they got to the last episode, which was crap!

> Seen a few things recently that all have crap endings in common - includes The Teacher

Have to agree. It was proceeding nicely (not awesome but seemingly setting things up well) until the last couple of episodes.

> Looking for a good tv program, just finished the responder

> Nothing too violent, mildly thought provoking but not hard work?

Not being a big Gervais fan I have been plesantly surprised at how much I have enjoyed Afterlife (Netflix) He's actually good and a great supporting cast. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...