UKC

Recommend some TV

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 31 Dec 2023

Struggling to find much to watch on TV. Any tips?

I don’t like fantasy stuff, sci-fi, crime, most things that are supposed to be funny (except Derry Girls, which I shall be watching again soon). I quite like classic novels like Trollope’s The Way we Live Now, and modern novels like Fay Weldon’s Life & Loves of a She-devil. I also enjoyed and would re-watch a number of Stephen Poliakoff’s films like Gideon’s Daughter and Shooting the Past
My sister has just recommended Men Up. 
I can access bbc Iplayer and netflix.

Last night watched It Snows in Benidorm starring Timothy Spall playing himself. Slightly odd and slow movie, but we didn’t switch it off!

philipivan 31 Dec 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Sandman series on Netflix if you haven't watched it. Watched it a while back and reading the comic now, got it from the library as I'm too cheap to spend that much on comics. 

Found the tarkovsky movies Stalker and Solaris on YouTube, must watch if you like so fi/ classic cinema and haven't seen them

rlrs 31 Dec 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Far from the Madding Crowd is on iplayer.

Graham Mck 31 Dec 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

On Netflix I enjoyed Motherland, Detectorists, Peaky Blinders (all also on BBC iplayer), Queen's Gambit, Fisk, Call my Agent (French version).

broken spectre 31 Dec 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The Departed is free on Netflix and although it falls within the 'crime' genre that you are adverse to, it transcends it spectacularly. Scorceses most magnificent film.

ripper 31 Dec 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I tell anyone who asks that - assuming they can handle subtitles - Gomorrah is the best TV ever made, but if you don't like crime maybe not for you. Also subtitled, we enjoyed Deutschland 83 (and sequels 86 and 89). Currently watching For All Mankind, not really sci fi but an alternate history imagining what life would be like in the 70s, 80s, 90s (and I think, next season, to 00s) if the space race had never fizzled out. It's slightly soapy at times but good

Post edited at 19:41
 deepsoup 31 Dec 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

You've ruled out most of what I like..  here's my punt though:

This Way Up.  Quite dry and beautifully written 'comedy drama' by Aisling Bea.  Available on Channel 4 on demand (no idea if it's also on Netflix).

Dr.S at work 31 Dec 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Try: Mortimer and Whitehouse :gone fishing

lovely stuff.

as is

Roaming in the Wild - may still be on iPlayer

deepsoup 31 Dec 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Roaming in the Wild - may still be on iPlayer

Silly question possibly but.. have you seen their own stuff on youtube?
If not, maybe have a look at Sullivan's Wild Scotland in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/@belugalagoonfilms8620/videos

sandrow 01 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Boat Story - it is "crime", but not as you know it

Ghosts - it is "comedy", but not as you know it

Have you watched Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul or Narcos? 

BusyLizzie 01 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've watched Wolf Hall over Christmas, 6 episodes, on i-player, and enjoyed it very much.

Sean Kelly 01 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Really enjoyed The Long Shadow, about the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper. It was sympathetic to both women and the victims/families. It illustrated how much attitudes have changed and paints a very poor picture of the investigating Yorkshire police.

GEd_83 01 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'm watching The Pacific (HBO) at the moment. I never watched it when it came out, as I heard it wasn't a patch on Band of Brothers. Anyway, I've recently heard a few people recently say that it's just as good, if not better in some ways, and so decided to give it a watch. So far, I'd say it's at least as good. It's a lot darker than BoB, and focusses more on the effects of combat on individual soldiers, parents back home etc. 

Rampart 01 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> starring Timothy Spall

Is The English still on iPlayer? That was pretty good, I thought (19th C. western drama), and happens to have Spall Jr in.

veteye 01 Jan 2024
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I just love Mark Rylance's acting, and watched Wolf Hall avidly when it was first broadcast. I recommend seeing him in Shakespeare too (better to stand in the pit at the globe, as you can see facial expressions better there).

Thank you Rog W, I don't watch TV at all much, but I might tonight, and this has raised some interesting ideas.

To Sandrow: I'm going to Ibsen's play Ghosts, at the Sam Wannamaker theatre (Indoor part of the Globe) on Thursday.

coldfell 01 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I second the recommendation for the series The English, loved it this time last year when suffering flu type illness and watched the whole thing again on Australia flight.  Hope it is still available.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

Just finished season 1 of big little lies on Now. Okay, it's set in Monterey with all it's affluence but the storyline is compelling. Great production. Not usually my schtick but I'll make an exception with this.

planetmarshall 01 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

On the non-fiction front

This year's RI Christmas Lectures on AI were an excellent introduction to the subject.

Panorama: Downfall of the Crypto King - an insight into the unbelievable hubris of someone very smart but not quite as smart as he thought.

The Dropout (Disney) - dramatisation of the Theranos scandal.

lazygirl46 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I have just spent far too long watching tele over Christmas due to op to straighten middle of left hand (gosh ther’s one off the waiting list 3+ years!).

and unhappy outcome resulting in daily visits to Gloucester Trauma unit and consultant op clinic, meaning I cannot do anything, except obviously type!

Just how many ‘Celebrity…… does this and that’ do we have to get? The only decent one was ‘Pottery thigumy’ the occasional oldie ‘Death on the Nile’ suited me, but yes in agreement as usual ‘Mortimer and Whitehouse gone fishing’ just right. The word celebrity not even mentioned but a couple of their past work colleagues appearing and performing- and the scenery, wow.

but generally sick of so much violence. They were probably making a political point about over stressed nhs, but the sight of a relative going berserk in Casuality will only encourage others to contemplate the same.

and even though I have enjoyed ‘food television’ ihavehad enough of that.

And as I started weeks ago trying to find Cliff Phillips I have had a great time watching and re-reading climbing stuff. 

Hello lighter days, and getting outside as much as poss.

deepsoup 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Ooh..  something in lazygirl's post reminded me..

> I can access bbc Iplayer and netflix.

I just remembered that 'The Good Place' is on Netflix.  Watch The Good Place!

Technically it's a sitcom, but like Detectorists* it's completely in a league of its own and can't be recommended highly enough.  (Fans of the show will try to tell you how good it is and you won't believe them.)

There are some plot twists along the way and it completely blows up its premise a couple of times, so it'd probably be better not to read any reviews of S2,3 or 4 if you don't want spoilers for S1.

PS: *You have seen Detectorists I suppose?  (BBC iPlayer)

james1978 02 Jan 2024
In reply to deepsoup:

On itv last night I watched Mr Bates versus the Post Office which was good. About the Horizon computer scandal. First of 4 parts.... featuring Toby Jones. 

Part 2 at 9pm tonight. 

Fraser 02 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Both Finnish crime suggestions on Netflix I'm afraid but I thought others here might enjoy them so will post:

- Deadwind (series of 3 seasons)

- Bordertown: Mural Murders (single, stand-alone film)

Both are the usual Scandi-noir genre which I generally enjoy and these didn't disappoint.

Post edited at 11:17
 Rob Exile Ward 02 Jan 2024
In reply to james1978:

It's horrific. The establishment at its' absolute worst.

Pete Pozman 03 Jan 2024
In reply to james1978:

Makes my blood boil. Everywhere good people are being crushed like this, by corporations and big organisations protecting their reputations. We shouldn't have to buy Law. While ever we do they'll outbuy us.

Nice trick with the filming in Eryri; keeps me keen. I think the Bates' cottage is Tai-newyddion in Nant Ffrancon at the bottom of Atlantic Slab.

> On itv last night I watched Mr Bates versus the Post Office which was good. About the Horizon computer scandal. First of 4 parts.... featuring Toby Jones. 

> Part 2 at 9pm tonight. 

Post edited at 22:47

Did you ever see Years and Years? Was on the Beeb but now seems to be Prime, rather sadly. One of the best things I've seen.

ThunderCat 04 Jan 2024
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> It's horrific. The establishment at its' absolute worst.

You know, I was aware of the story and I listened to the serialised Radio 4 documentary about it last year.  I don't think I've ever been so disgusted and angry.  The way these lives were absolutely devastated, and dragged through the mud.  I don't really want to watch the TV show.  I can feel my pulse picking up just typing this.  Genuinely gives me anxiety just thinking about it.  Shocking.  

OP Rog Wilko 04 Jan 2024
In reply to ThunderCat:

> You know, I was aware of the story and I listened to the serialised Radio 4 documentary about it last year.  I don't think I've ever been so disgusted and angry.  The way these lives were absolutely devastated, and dragged through the mud.  I don't really want to watch the TV show.  I can feel my pulse picking up just typing this.  Genuinely gives me anxiety just thinking about it.  Shocking.  

I recommend you do.

One of the things that was most shocking and horrific for me (though as always with docudramas you don’t know what is true and what is made up) was the sight of a small fleet of tinted windows limousines turning up unannounced at the PO and half a dozen imposing and besuited thugs marching in and delivering instant “justice”. It looked like a Mafia raid. Spine chilling.

But I understand your reluctance - there’s enough BP raising things around already. Every week or two I check my BP when I’m drinking my morning cuppa in bed, but have to make sure I’m thinking about a sunny garden or remembering a favourite view before clicking the button.

In reply to ThunderCat:

> You know, I was aware of the story and I listened to the serialised Radio 4 documentary about it last year.  I don't think I've ever been so disgusted and angry.  The way these lives were absolutely devastated, and dragged through the mud.  I don't really want to watch the TV show.  I can feel my pulse picking up just typing this.  Genuinely gives me anxiety just thinking about it.  Shocking.  

I just hope the TV showing will give it a higher profile. In spite of regular news stories I don't think the general public awareness of how bad it was has sunk in.

OP Rog Wilko 04 Jan 2024
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Absolutely.

Baz P 05 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I’ll second the recommended viewing of Alan Bates v the Post office which is now on ITVx in 4 episodes.

They were treated absolutely disgustingly and I was moved to tears at some scenes. 
Afterwards watch “Alan bates v the Post office, the real story”. Also on ITVx. This shows how closely the drama followed real events with interviews with some of the people involved and scenes from the public enquiry. This also contained tearful scenes. 

Darron 05 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Even if the limo turning up scenes were not exactly real life they gave the exact portrayal of what was happening to those poor people. Chilling and fine drama.

Offwidth 06 Jan 2024
In reply to deepsoup:

I'd second your strong recommendation of The Good Place, even though I only saw S1 & 2. Might suit Rog as I loved Derry Girls and Detectorists but am underwhelmed with most newish comedy.

GEd_83 07 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I watched Society of the Snow (Netflix) last night. Well worth a watch, very grim but I thought it was really well done. 

OP Rog Wilko 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

A rather belated thanks for all the replies.

Enty 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I was browsing Netflix the other day and I accidentally clicked on the trailer for S7 of Alone. And now suddenly a few days later we're over half way through. Can't get enough of it.

E

Sean Kelly 08 Jan 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Finally got around to watching Nomadland on Netflix. I should have watched some paint drying instead. I kept waiting for something to happen but nothing ever did. How did this even win the best film oscar? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...