UKC

Shogun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stichtplate 04 Mar 2024

Two episodes in and actually contemplating watching the next when it drops at midnight. Boy, have they chucked some cash at this. Looks extraordinary, well written and some great character actors.

Anyone else hooked?

aln 04 Mar 2024
In reply to Stichtplate:

Is it based on the James Clavell book?

OP Stichtplate 04 Mar 2024
In reply to aln:

Yep. Can't tell you how faithful it is as it must be 40 years since I read it. Certainly not as soapy as the last screen adaptation.

youtube.com/watch?v=yAN5uspO_hk&

aln 04 Mar 2024
In reply to Stichtplate:

> it must be 40 years since I read it.

Me too. I loved it and it started a bit of an obsession with Japanese history. The Edo period exhibition in London in the 80's was a highlight, I absolutely loved it.

OP Stichtplate 04 Mar 2024
In reply to aln:

> Me too. I loved it and it started a bit of an obsession with Japanese history. 

Same. Once the kids are out of the house I'd love to see the place for myself. If you can get hold of a copy, Mishima's Sword by Christopher Ross, provides a fascinating insight into how Japan's history has impacted modern (ish) Japanese society. Brilliant and quirky.

pencilled in 05 Mar 2024
In reply to Stichtplate:

I had no idea about this but I enjoyed the book and have some strange memories of the Richard Chamberlain portrayal of Blackthorne (I think it was Sunday nights after Bullseye) so I fired up The Beatles App (Disney) and had a look. 
I love it. Thanks very much. 

SuperstarDJ 05 Mar 2024
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Two episodes in and actually contemplating watching the next when it drops at midnight. Boy, have they chucked some cash at this. Looks extraordinary, well written and some great character actors.

> Anyone else hooked?

Yes, properly grown up drama with great performances and looking a million dollars. Really looking forward to the rest of it.  

I read the book last year with some trepdiation - it could easily have been 'problematic' (as the young people say) but it's aged very well.  It treats both cultures fairly and has some great female characters in.  I re-read 'Tai-pan' too, that's not so good - more melodramatic and less serious.

I also watched 'Blue Eye Samurai' on Netflix - an 18 rated animated series set in the same period.  It's a revenge western and it's stunningly good - beautiful to look at, great story, fine voice actors (Kenneth Branagh is the baddie), very violent and with graphic sex scenes. Well worth giving a go to, even if animation isn't your thing.

Bobling 05 Mar 2024
In reply to Stichtplate:

I read the book a couple of years back having grown up with it on bookshelves around the house, was dead pleased to read it's had a new adaption!  Even more pleasing to hear it's pretty good : )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...