UKC

Should the Elgin marbles be returned?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pedro50 27 Nov 2023

Sunak has cancelled a meeting with the Greek PM over this issue. It seems obvious to me that they should be returned under permanent loan. 

Jenny C 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Yes, something like this which means the UK isn't publicly admitting to any wrong doing, but Greece gets them back, would seem like a sensible solution. With many specimens, think 'where can they be best displayed in context?' should be as much of a consideration as the question of ownership.

Although reading today about some disputed pieces from Crimea being returned to Ukraine, I do wonder if the actual return should be delayed (for their own safety) until the country is in a position to display them.

On an aside, during the Egyptian uprising of 2011, whilst we saw rioting on TV in Tahrir Square. Locals were blockading the adjacent Egyptian museum, to (successfully) protect it from looting.

In reply to Pedro50:

Absolutely pathetic. At least, he should have met the Greek PM so that they could discuss his outdated position.

gravy 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

It seems obvious to me that they should be returned

DaveHK 27 Nov 2023
In reply to John Stainforth:

> Absolutely pathetic. At least, he should have met the Greek PM so that they could discuss his outdated position.

Looks good to the gammons if he's seen to be sticking it to Johnny Foreigner.

Robert Durran 27 Nov 2023
In reply to gravy:

> It seems obvious to me that they should be returned

I recently visited the stunning modern Acropolis Museum which is ready to house them and it seemed obvious to me then too. However, there is an argument that this would set a precedent with arguably undesirable consequences in the dismantling of many museums' collections. It's a tricky one. On balance I think they should probably be returned under conditions which make clear that it is being treated as a special case.

Post edited at 23:42
 Tyler 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

I don’t know whether they should be returned but I’m absolutely certain it’s not a serious enough issue for us our PM to be cancelling a meeting with the PM of one of our allies at this late stage.

That sort of snub is for real serious issues breaking at the eleventh hour not some minor disagreement that has been rumbling for decades. I hate this govt for all the big things they’ve done since coming to power but it’s this sort of low level pettiness that makes them next level detestable!

Tony Buckley 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

> Yes, something like this which means the UK isn't publicly admitting to any wrong doing, but Greece gets them back, would seem like a sensible solution. 

I think the unstated but implied issue in that statement is that you believe the UK has committed some unspecified wrong.  Please say what that might be.  

> I do wonder if the actual return should be delayed (for their own safety) until the country is in a position to display them.

That's a key issue; as, also, would be insurance if they were not to be gifted or sold.  That rapidly gets into some deep and murky water around the level of premiums, the financial security of the Greek state and much else that would complicate matters for some years.

There's no easy way round this and it might just be better in the long term to note that this is an area on which disagreement will remain.

T.

In reply to Tony Buckley:

Well, it’s called theft. A very specific wrong. On a massive scale, However, the general verdict is that Lord Elgin did everyone a favour by nicking them, because it meant the were kept for over a century in museum conditions, away from atmospheric weathering. But now that the Greeks have created a special, state-of-the-art museum for them, they should of course be returned. With modern techniques we could easily make extremely accurate replicas to keep in the British Museum. 

Jenny C 28 Nov 2023

> I think the unstated but implied issue in that statement is that you believe the UK has committed some unspecified wrong.  Please say what that might be.  

My understanding is that the person who gifted them to the UK had stolen them, therefore they weren't his to give. Accepting the gift might not have been wrong, but refusing to return stolen goods is.

> That's a key issue; as, also, would be insurance if they were not to be gifted or sold.  That rapidly gets into some deep and murky water around the level of premiums, the financial security of the Greek state and much else that would complicate matters for some years.

My suggestion of delaying returning artifacts was in reference to sending items into a war zone where they run the risk of being destroyed, nothing to do with the Elgin Marbles.

Dr.S at work 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Re copies - it seems relatively trivial to do this as you say - you could even fill in the missing bits….

neilh 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Tyler:

The problem is that these meetings usually are Planned in advance with all the talking points agreed via diplomatic channels.  They are not a free for all discussion. So the Elgin marbles would have been on that list almost inevitably . In turn we do not know if the Greek pm broke some diplomatic rule. 

put it this way there has been a lot of wrangling going on as George Osborne who heads the British Museum Tustess is in favour of them being loaned to the Greeks  permanently but ownership retained by the BM . There have been substantive and positive negotiations on this point .

Either way it also looks good to the Greeks when this sort of political spat occurs over the marbles ( which is the other side of the story)

It’s a tricky subject. Do not forget that Elgin saved them from destruction. A point often overlooked. 

neilh 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

they were apparently purchased at the time. Also it was Elgin who recognised their value .A complicated position much disputed. 

DaveHK 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Tyler:

> I don’t know whether they should be returned but I’m absolutely certain it’s not a serious enough issue for us our PM to be cancelling a meeting with the PM of one of our allies at this late stage.

> That sort of snub is for real serious issues breaking at the eleventh hour not some minor disagreement that has been rumbling for decades. I hate this govt for all the big things they’ve done since coming to power but it’s this sort of low level pettiness that makes them next level detestable!

In the Tory Party* big list of priorities for action, doing what's right or what's good for the country is way, way down the list below things like clinging on to power and maintaining party unity. And the only reason to do the latter is that it helps with the former.

* I'm not convinced the others are any better, it's just that we've been given an awful lot of Tory Party examples in the last few years. See Brexit.

neilh 28 Nov 2023

It’s a beautiful  museum and well worth a visit . In a way it adds to the quality by them being elsewhere. It helps highlight the history of what happened in Greece in that period . There are also there artifacts held in other countries highlighted at the museum. 

kevin stephens 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

I understand a major factor in the cancellation was that the Greek PM discussed the Elgin Marbles (amongst other things) with Sir Keir the day before

Robert Durran 28 Nov 2023

In reply to neilh:

> The theft is very much disputed as Elgin purchased them. 

From the Ottomans. If the purchase had been from the Greeks, it would be more clear cut.

In reply to neilh:

> The problem is that these meetings usually are Planned in advance with all the talking points agreed via diplomatic channels.  They are not a free for all discussion. So the Elgin marbles would have been on that list almost inevitably . In turn we do not know if the Greek pm broke some diplomatic rule. 

Come on Neil, how often have we heard a British PM promising to raise an issue of recent and populist domestic UK concern ahead of a planned meeting with one of his foreign counterparts? 

neilh 28 Nov 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

The whole subject is shrouded in politics on both sides. It’s a tricky subject for both and the Greek pm probably put his foot in his mouth by touching on a raw nerve. So he should have kept his mouth shut in my view. You can imagine both the BM and the Parthenon museum trustees throwing their arms up in the air and saying this. It’s a fraught subject with years of wrangling that had come to an acceptable position on a permanent loan. Diplomacy recognising both sides position is part of it. 

Post edited at 07:38
 Dave Garnett 28 Nov 2023
In reply to neilh:

> The whole subject is shrouded in politics on both sides. It’s a tricky subject for both and the Greek pm probably put his foot in his mouth by touching on a raw nerve.

Yes, although I can’t help thinking that Sunak suddenly saw the danger of the obvious Daily Mail headline, ‘Rishi loses his marbles’.

FactorXXX 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Yes, although I can’t help thinking that Sunak suddenly saw the danger of the obvious Daily Mail headline, ‘Rishi loses his marbles’.

Mostly armless though.

In reply to FactorXXX:

> Mostly armless though.

I don’t agree, some may lose their heads over it

neilh 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Cracking headline …anyway see them at the BM for free whilst you still have the chance.its almost inevitable that at some stage they will go back on loan. O

timjones 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Is it a problem if artefacts are displayed ina different museum closer to their origins?

NobleStone 28 Nov 2023

Sadly it's not that simple. Plenty of damage was caused to the friezes and the Parthenon in removing and shipping the sculptures. London's smoggy atmosphere and successive attempts by the museum to clean* the marbles have caused irreparable damage.

For what it's worth, I think the row benefits both Sunak and Mitsotakis. Both of them have far more important things to worry about, but now everyone's talking about the marbles instead!

*When was the last time you cleaned something with a chisel?

Tyler 28 Nov 2023
In reply to NobleStone:

They should give them to the Spanish to look after 

Ramblin dave 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Depends on the circumstances - if they'd just been overlooked and left behind by the original owners then they should be returned. If they'd got stuck in place and had been abandoned then they're legitimate crag swag.

Lankyman 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Tyler:

> They should give them to the Spanish to look after 

Brilliant! Was the restorer going through an Impressionist phase?

Iamgregp 28 Nov 2023
In reply to NobleStone:

Yes Gordon's point is a little silly to me. The Elgin marbles had been in situ for over a thousand years before we took them, and their removal has surely caused more damage it has prevented.

They should be given back, and we should apologise for their removal.

Post edited at 13:37
 Enty 28 Nov 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

> I understand a major factor in the cancellation was that the Greek PM discussed the Elgin Marbles (amongst other things) with Sir Keir the day before

Yep, saw that. Spun on the news this morning as Labour's fault. FFS.

E

Anotherclimber 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Neo-impressionism, if you please.

In reply to DaveHK

> Looks good to the gammons if he's seen to be sticking it to Johnny Foreigner.

Or it could be that because Rishi is already losing his marbles, he doesn't want to lose any more.

timjones 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Enty:

Which news was that?

Everything that I have seen and heard relates to something that was said in a TV interview on Sunday with no mention of a meeting with Keir Starmer.

planetmarshall 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> They should be given back, and we should apologise for their removal.

Not entirely sold on an apology for something no living person had a part in. The apology should be for continuing to hold on to them long after we'd run out of excuses.

OP Pedro50 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

I've initiated a petition to return the marbles

It needs five signatures to go live. Link here:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/652310/sponsors/new?token=rnfnnsGE... 

Tony Buckley 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

> My understanding is that the person who gifted them to the UK had stolen them, therefore they weren't his to give. Accepting the gift might not have been wrong, but refusing to return stolen goods is.

Ah, that makes sense.  My understanding is that Lord Elgin, seeing that the Turks who occupied Greece at the time were taking things like this down and breaking them up for use in road building, purchased them and had them shipped back to the UK.

Obviously, the receipt has been lost, the Turks kicked out of Greece, many years have passed and it serves the Greek administration well to have a populist issue like this to distract their public.

So, rescued and purchased rather than stolen and smuggled, saved from destruction and eventually sympathetically housed in public view too.

I may be swimming against the stream of popular opinion, but I'm very much not in favour of just handing them back like a kid that's been caught pinching toffees.

T.

In reply to neilh:

> they were apparently purchased at the time. Also it was Elgin who recognised their value .A complicated position much disputed. 

There is no contemporary evidence that a sale was agreed and money changed hands. The Greeks had no say in the matter. They were under Ottoman rule. They're removal also resulted in damage to the Parthenon.

In reply to timjones:

> Is it a problem if artefacts are displayed ina different museum closer to their origins?

It is to the museum which loses one of its biggest treasures and attractions. They are the main reason I have visited the British Museum anyway.

OP Pedro50 28 Nov 2023

Cold marble carvings don't do a lot for me, I prefer paintings. But each to their own. Hanging on to them because they attract tourists is not an adequate justification IMHO.

CantClimbTom 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Deleated bagger:

As an aside, unrelated to the ethics of returning the marbles (which surely could be done on some 999 year "loan" to Greece if a compromise is needed) but wasn't most of the damage to the Parthenon and friezes etc caused by it being used as an ammo magazine (powder store) by the Turks and getting a direct hit from the Venetians, resulting in it all being blown everywhere and what we see today is the bits reassembled as best people could https://www.historytoday.com/archive/months-past/parthenon-blown

Post edited at 20:35
 Tony Buckley 28 Nov 2023

> They are the main reason I have visited the British Museum anyway.

There is so much tremendous stuff in the BM it's difficult to pick just one thing, but I make a point of viewing the Marbles when I go.  Most of the time they've just been interesting; nothing special when judged against their reputation.

But once, one of those unexpectedly alpine days in February that you rarely see in central London, I went in to see them and the angle, the colour, the intensity of the light was just so and they became absolutely breathtakingly, jaw-droppingly beautiful.  I had to tear myself away from them to go and catch a train.

The next time they were back to the way they'd been before, but I've not forgotten the way they appeared to me, once upon a time.

T.

planetmarshall 28 Nov 2023

> They are the main reason I have visited the British Museum anyway.

You surprise me. For a mathematician, it's the Rosetta Stone. I doubt there's an item of greater historical significance in British possession.

In reply to Pedro50:

Why don’t they get a facsimile set made, and agree that each country claims to have the original?

Lankyman 28 Nov 2023
In reply to planetmarshall:

> You surprise me. For a mathematician, it's the Rosetta Stone. I doubt there's an item of greater historical significance in British possession.

It should be given back to the French! And when are the Italians going to pay the ground rent on Hadrian's Wall?

Post edited at 21:42

> But once, one of those unexpectedly alpine days in February that you rarely see in central London, I went in to see them and the angle, the colour, the intensity of the light was just so and they became absolutely breathtakingly, jaw-droppingly beautiful.  

I think they would be even more beautiful in the extraordinary Acropolis Museum, which mirrors the actual Acropolis and Parthenon opposite in the window, set out as they were on the Parthenon and lit by the real Greek light.

> You surprise me. For a mathematician, it's the Rosetta Stone. I doubt there's an item of greater historical significance in British possession.

Yes, that was the other thing I particularly wanted to see. Historically maybe more important but culturally nothing matches the marbles.

Tony Buckley 28 Nov 2023

Well, I'm sure we can agree to disagree like civilised chaps.

The other place in the BM where I routinely spend a lot of time is the mediaeval gallery, for the Sutton Hoo helmet, the Lewis chessmen and Lindow man.

Top spot, the BM.

T.

Lhod 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> Cold marble carvings don't do a lot for me, I prefer paintings. But each to their own. Hanging on to them because they attract tourists is not an adequate justification IMHO.

That's enough about the royal family, can we get this thread back on track please. 

Iamgregp 28 Nov 2023

I see your point and to a certain extent I agree, but governments, organisations and corporations apologising for the actions of those who held the roles previously is normal.

Looks at the apologies that families of Hillsborough or Stephen Lawrence received. They were needed, an explanation that all those officers have left, or are dead now so no apology can be given would have been beyond the pale.

You’re right that the continued retention should also be apologised for, but I think the original act ought to be too.

Post edited at 23:33
 lowersharpnose 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

We should hold on to them for now.

Certainly no apology.

Fat Bumbly 2.0 29 Nov 2023

Now about the Lewis chessmen......

Post edited at 07:16

> Not entirely sold on an apology for something no living person had a part in. The apology should be for continuing to hold on to them long after we'd run out of excuses.

An apology wouldn’t ultimately be coming from an individual though, not as I see it. It’s coming from a state; a legal entity in its own right. The apology is just delivered through a person on behalf of the state. 

I do think that’s an important distinction. We create legal entities like states and companies and give them many of the same rights and privileges as a human; they can own property, open bank accounts, file legal proceedings, etc etc. The other side of that coin is that we expect them to be accountable for their actions, regardless of whether the person representing them is personally responsible. 

I can’t be the only one who has apologised at work for something my employer has done that was nothing to do with me. The apology wasn’t from me, it was on behalf of the organisation. Similarly, if a company or state wrongs me then I expect an apology. I don’t care if the specific individual involved has retired, or that the person handling the call/case wasn’t involved; I want the organisation to acknowledge the issue.

I see these situations in the same way; the people involved might be dead, but the state they were acting on behalf of lives on as a legal entity with rights and responsibilities and it is the state that is being asked for an apology. 

Lhod 29 Nov 2023
In reply to lowersharpnose:

> We should hold on to them for now.

> Certainly no apology.

Care to elaborate on your position? 

C Witter 29 Nov 2023

> Ah, that makes sense.  My understanding is that Lord Elgin, seeing that the Turks who occupied Greece at the time were taking things like this down and breaking them up for use in road building, purchased them and had them shipped back to the UK.

> Obviously, the receipt has been lost, the Turks kicked out of Greece, many years have passed and it serves the Greek administration well to have a populist issue like this to distract their public.

> So, rescued and purchased rather than stolen and smuggled, saved from destruction and eventually sympathetically housed in public view too.

> I may be swimming against the stream of popular opinion, but I'm very much not in favour of just handing them back like a kid that's been caught pinching toffees.

> T.

Propaganda from colonial pillagers. Even at the time this looting was seen as wrong and as destructive theft. That it is recast as a "rescue" because "the locals were too uncultured to appreciate these artworks" is just doubling down on white supremacist colonial mindset, which underpins the British Museum as an institution.

neilh 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Deleated bagger:

There are different views on that, depending on which side you listen to.You also need to remember that Elgin was a proponent of Greek independence from Turkey and avidly supported the Greeks position on this when they fought their war of independence. So portraying him as the baddie...is plain daft.

As I said before George Osborne (who chairs the Trustees of the BM) has proposed a permanent loan back- discussions have been ongoing for a number of years along these line- and in return the BM will get a similar artifact to display ( I have forgotten what it was, but its a significant piece).

Post edited at 09:30
 neilh 29 Nov 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Rubbish.Maybe do a little research.Like visiting and seeing which parts were destroyed by Turkish gun fire onto the Acropolis etc. during the independence battles.

neilh 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

There really is nothing to apologise for.

neilh 29 Nov 2023

The Sutton Hoo is superb. Always a highlight for me when I visit. And as for the Rosetta stone, very humbling. There is a dispute on that, but its a bit unclear who it reaally belongs to- is it French, Egyptian etc etc. nobody reaaly knows so i suspect it will stay with the BM.

Its always free to visit, something we should be proud of here, as I have never neen to any other big Museum which is free ( theu usually charge).

I do think if you have been to the Acropolis Musem you will understand that it should be loaned back.

Post edited at 09:31
 C Witter 29 Nov 2023
In reply to neilh:

Not rubbish at all. I'm not saying it wasn't damaged by others during the course of history. But, the marbles and the Parthenon were also damaged by this removal. The fact that the marbles also constitute an important record of the history of the city (e.g. wars) is not a justification for removing them! Imagine if someone had removed significant parts of one of our castles or cathedrals because they'd been damaged in the Civil War?!

neilh 29 Nov 2023
In reply to C Witter:

They are far more significant than any Civil War in the UK.

Cobra_Head 29 Nov 2023
In reply to John Stainforth:

> Absolutely pathetic. At least, he should have met the Greek PM so that they could discuss his outdated position.

Definitely this^^

He's like a petulant child.

Cobra_Head 29 Nov 2023
In reply to neilh:

> Rubbish.Maybe do a little research.Like visiting and seeing which parts were destroyed by Turkish gun fire onto the Acropolis etc. during the independence battles.

Are you suggesting, there are going to be more wars in Greece?

Enty 29 Nov 2023
In reply to timjones:

> Which news was that?

> Everything that I have seen and heard relates to something that was said in a TV interview on Sunday with no mention of a meeting with Keir Starmer.

Sky News. "We also believe Starmer met the Greek president yesterday which didn't help matters" etc etc etc 

E

Enty 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> He's like a petulant child.

Yep. You'd also think that a PM whose primary goal is to reduce illegal immigration from mainland Europe would try to remain on good terms with a country that is one of the most important players.
The guy is so full of shit.

E

Post edited at 10:15
 neilh 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Where on earth did I suggest that ?

Andy Clarke 29 Nov 2023
In reply to neilh:

> There are different views on that, depending on which side you listen to.You also need to remember that Elgin was a proponent of Greek independence from Turkey and avidly supported the Greeks position on this when they fought their war of independence. So portraying him as the baddie...is plain daft.

Byron not only supported the Greeks' fight for independence, he sold his English estate to help fund the struggle and joined them in the fight. He took an extremely dim contemporary view, regarding Elgin as a "plunderer" and a "spoiler" who had "defaced" the Parthenon and "snatched" the sculptures. He takes joy in the fact that Elgin was a son of Caledonia rather than England and describes him thus: "Cold as the crags upon his native coast, His mind as barren and his heart as hard."

Post edited at 11:20
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Superb quote.

Iamgregp 29 Nov 2023
In reply to neilh:

Funny that the only people in the world who think that happen to be British isn't it?

Iamgregp 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Enty:

I think this is nothing to do with the Elgin Marbles and is all about putting a marker in the sand.

The Greek Prime Minister, and just about everybody else in the world cab see that Sunak and the Tories days are numbered and that more likely than not it's Starmer and his team that they'll be speaking to in the future.  So to that end they held a meeting with them.  The "optics" as they call it of this are bad for Sunak and the Torys.  Makes then look weak, impotent and further concretes the view that they're on their way out.

How to deal with that, and stop other leaders doing the same?  Invent a cock and bull story about an agreement that no public proclamations would be made about the marbles, use that as justification for Sunak pulling out and send the message out that they will not stand for other world leaders diminishing them in this way.

It's petty and obvious, and discussions regarding the marbles themselves are a distraction from the real issue.  The torys are tanking in the polls and on their way out, and are going to find themselves increasingly sidelined as the election looms.

Personally, I can't wait to watch it all play out.

neilh 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Take that up with other countries who also have Greek artifacts the Greeks want back-- quite a few.Its not particularly unique.

They are all highlighted in the Acroplois museum.

Post edited at 13:47
 Iamgregp 29 Nov 2023
In reply to neilh:

The size, scale and importance of the Elgin Marbles is though isn't it?

neilh 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Each one is significant

Iamgregp 29 Nov 2023
In reply to neilh:

But the Elgin Marbles were the only collection for which the Acropolis museum specified designs had to have a gallery for weren't they?

Like I said they are unique in their size, scale and importance.   

One of the major reasons the Greek government built the Acropolis museum was to house them, and counter the argument the British had made for decades that they didn't have a suitable facility to house them.

They haven't gone to those lengths that for other collections held by other nations.  That makes them unique.

timjones 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Enty:

Is that spinning it as Labour's fault or highlighting the fact that our PM acted like a spoiled child?

john arran 29 Nov 2023
In reply to timjones:

> Is that spinning it as Labour's fault or highlighting the fact that our PM acted like a spoiled child?

Quite possibly both.

"They're all as bad as each other" is what many in the right-wing media would want us to (falsely) believe, now that they've run out of ways to even pretend the Tories have anything positive to conribute.

Iamgregp 29 Nov 2023
In reply to john arran:

Yes it’s like when we had Johnson in power and he frequently got caught lying. Standard Tory response was “oh well they all do”.

Once had a very long discussion with a guy who said that after I criticised Boris’ lies and he couldn’t think of a single one told by Corbyn or even Blair for that matter.

Iamgregp 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

And no, WMD lie doesn’t count. He believed the intel, there was no attempt to mislead on his part. 

OP Pedro50 29 Nov 2023

Starmer was pretty good at PMQs today on the subject.

Maggot 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> Starmer was pretty good at PMQs today on the subject.

I actually did a LOL today watching it. 

slawrence1001 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> I think this is nothing to do with the Elgin Marbles and is all about putting a marker in the sand.

It is textbook from a failing government. A good nationalistic existential crisis is always the first option, see Galtieri and the falklands.

Not that Sunak is quite as bad as Galtieri or that this is quite as severe, but the principal stands.

DizzyVizion 29 Nov 2023
In reply to slawrence1001:

> It is textbook from a failing government. A good nationalistic existential crisis is always the first option, see Galtieri and the falklands.

> Not that Sunak is quite as bad as Galtieri or that this is quite as severe, but the principal stands.

Or, using the excuse that the request for the return of the stolen goods is based on false pretences is a good enough guise to refuse their return?

It's simple- the UK stole them. And any time is never the wrong time to return them.

neilh 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

From all I recall on my visits there were spaces let for those other missing exhibits and an equal claim to them by the Acropolis museum.  Have you been to either ?

As I said earlier the permanent loan negotiated seems a good compromise in the fraught and highly politics world  of museum pieces. I can really see no  reason for an apology.

And part of the history of those pieces is what happened to them over the last couple of hundred years. Adds to them.  

Post edited at 19:07
 Dr.S at work 29 Nov 2023
In reply to DizzyVizion:

I think a Scottish person acquired them, and then sold them to the British museum. Not direct theft by the U.K.

Robert Durran 29 Nov 2023
In reply to neilh:

> From all I recall on my visits there were spaces let for those other missing exhibits and an equal claim to them by the Acropolis museum.  Have you been to either ?

The Acropolis Museum has replicas of the panels in the British Museum as well as of a few which are elsewhere in Europe. Clearly designed to be simply slotted out and replaced with the originals. 

The British Museum also has the frieze from the Temple of Apollo at Bassae. This seems to have been bought by the museum from the archaeologists who rediscovered the temple. I wonder whether this is also contentious.

DizzyVizion 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> I think a Scottish person acquired them, and then sold them to the British museum. Not direct theft by the U.K.

Aren't they in the British Museum in London? And the guy who took them a British Nobleman?

Yes, and yes 

Just return the stolen goods.

Post edited at 20:15
 slawrence1001 29 Nov 2023
In reply to DizzyVizion:

> Just return the stolen goods.

Agreed

muppetfilter 30 Nov 2023

"Re-discovered"  can you say the same about folks that remove the copper pipes and wiring from unoccupied houses ?

Post edited at 09:30
 Robert Durran 30 Nov 2023
In reply to muppetfilter:

> "Re-discovered"  can you say the same about folks that remove the copper pipes and wiring from unoccupied houses ?

I think "reduscovered" to describe some archaeology is entirely appropriate. Tutankhamen's tomb would be an obvious example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassae

neilh 30 Nov 2023

There are going to be alot of political fun and games with these artifacts over the next  few decades.The growth in tourism to these big museums especially in the oil reach  Middle East , China wanting back culutural artifacts, and the return of colonial pillaged items.Challenging to say the least.

I think it was Neil Mcgregor who refocused the BM as being A World Museum and very much open to all and part of the London experience.At the same time Londons Museum district also has history behind it and the way these things developed is historically and culturally fascinating. including the shifting out of London of exhibits to Welsh slate mine etc during WW2.

You see all this type of issue being played out in Ukraine- the deliberate targeting/destroying  of cultural and historical monuments by Russia. A spat over the Marbles is mild compared to this.

Post edited at 10:15

I’m trying to understand what on earth you mean by ‘rediscovered’. How can anyone have ‘rediscovered’ such an enormously grand building on top of the Acropolis? Have you ever been to Athens and seen it? The Parthenon's not exactly difficult to spot. Lord Elgin simply went up there with some navvies and removed all the sculptures on the facade.

Tony Buckley 30 Nov 2023
In reply to neilh:

> You see all this type of issue being played out in Ukraine- the deliberate targeting/destroying  of cultural and historical monuments by Russia.

The destruction of large parts of Palmyra by ISIS is another example.  Once it's gone, there's no getting it back.

> A spat over the Marbles is mild compared to this.

Indeed.

T.

slawrence1001 30 Nov 2023
In reply to neilh:

> You see all this type of issue being played out in Ukraine- the deliberate targeting/destroying  of cultural and historical monuments by Russia. A spat over the Marbles is mild compared to this.

Any issue can be seen as mild when compared with the right example, that doesn't mean they have no right to be upset about it.

neilh 30 Nov 2023

In a modern context you are right, a few hundred years ago its debateable whether it was noticed or understood as significant to everybody.

FactorXXX 30 Nov 2023

>  Lord Elgin simply went up there with some navvies and removed all the sculptures on the facade.

An old article in the Guardian gives a slightly different viewpoint on things, including the contribution made by Byron:
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2004/jul/21/highereducation.parthenon
Being old, the article is now inaccurate in some areas - In particular, the lack of a suitable museam in Athens to house them.

Dr.S at work 30 Nov 2023
In reply to DizzyVizion:

I've no objection (indeed support) the marbles being back in Athens - but Elgin acted in a private capacity, it was not a state action.

The fact there was a parliamentary investigation around the sale to the BM makes it clear the British state at the time was alive to the issue, but concluded at the time that the actions of Elgin were reasonable.

Given the recent history at that point, there was an argument for removal to preserve - thats certainly not the case in the modern context.

DizzyVizion 30 Nov 2023

> I've no objection (indeed support) the marbles being back in Athens - but Elgin acted in a private capacity, it was not a state action.

> The fact there was a parliamentary investigation around the sale to the BM makes it clear the British state at the time was alive to the issue, but concluded at the time that the actions of Elgin were reasonable.

> Given the recent history at that point, there was an argument for removal to preserve - thats certainly not the case in the modern context.

Being hung up on the how's and the why's of the BNM's acquisition of these items is unjustly deflecting from the return of the stolen goods. 

Returning these items would undoubtedly be very good for Britain on the global stage.

But as this would require a bit of leeway from the posh'os in our society, I don't reckon it will happen because imho they are the stingiest b****rds going. Sue me.

Dr.S at work 30 Nov 2023
In reply to DizzyVizion:

> Being hung up on the how's and the why's of the BNM's acquisition of these items is unjustly deflecting from the return of the stolen goods. 

> Returning these items would undoubtedly be very good for Britain on the global stage.

> But as this would require a bit of leeway from the posh'os in our society, I don't reckon it will happen because imho they are the stingiest b****rds going. Sue me.

True dat - so maybe be accurate in what you post, as its less likely to lead to deflection?

DizzyVizion 30 Nov 2023

> True dat - so maybe be accurate in what you post, as its less likely to lead to deflection?

Sure, no worries 👍

fred99 30 Nov 2023

> I’m trying to understand what on earth you mean by ‘rediscovered’. How can anyone have ‘rediscovered’ such an enormously grand building on top of the Acropolis? Have you ever been to Athens and seen it? The Parthenon's not exactly difficult to spot. Lord Elgin simply went up there with some navvies and removed all the sculptures on the facade.

You seem to be confused, Robert Durran was NOT referring to the Parthenon, to quote :-

"The British Museum also has the frieze from the Temple of Apollo at Bassae. This seems to have been bought by the museum from the archaeologists who rediscovered the temple. I wonder whether this is also contentious."

(My enhancing in bold).

Andy Clarke 30 Nov 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

I can't comment on the scholarship in the rest of the article, but the supposed quotation from Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage is a dreadful butchering of the original. It reads like something lifted from a Cole's Notes paraphrase for GCSE students. For anyone who wants to read what he actually wrote, I assume it's purporting to be Stanza XV from Canto II. The superficiality of her other comments on Byron make me rather doubt she's actually read the original - or indeed anything by him.

FactorXXX 30 Nov 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> I can't comment on the scholarship in the rest of the article, but the supposed quotation from Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage is a dreadful butchering of the original. It reads like something lifted from a Cole's Notes paraphrase for GCSE students. For anyone who wants to read what he actually wrote, I assume it's purporting to be Stanza XV from Canto II. The superficiality of her other comments on Byron make me rather doubt she's actually read the original - or indeed anything by him.

A Guardian article with fake information?
Whatever next...

Stichtplate 30 Nov 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Yeah, they should go back. Yeah, the current government’s reaction to Greek demands has been predictably crappy, but a little graciousness on the Greek side wouldn’t go amiss. 

I visited the Acropolis museum (a wonderful space) in August and took a tour that included much talk of British theft. Notable amongst the blank spaces were several black and white photographs of pieces that had gone missing under Greece’s watch. Gone forever with no idea what happened to them. Not something that has befallen any of the British Museum pieces, despite 200 years, two world wars and a blitz.

Also no mention on this thread of the sensation their original exhibition caused across Europe, the reigniting of interest in all things Greek, enhanced regard of Greece as the mother of western civilization.
No doubt this increased public awareness had an impact on the subsequent intervention of Britain on Greece’s side in its war of independence a few years later.… sometimes even morally dubious acts can have a positive influence.

Robert Durran 30 Nov 2023

> I’m trying to understand what on earth you mean by ‘rediscovered’. How can anyone have ‘rediscovered’ such an enormously grand building on top of the Acropolis?

I was referring to the temple at Bassae, not the Acropolis.

> Have you ever been to Athens and seen it?

Yes, most recently just last month.

Having also visited the amazing site of Bassae, I am now inclined to revisit the frieze in the British Museum. It would be quite something if that were returned to Bassae itself (I noticed while in Greece that they are now trying to exhibit things where they were excavated - Delphi and Olympia as well as the Acropolis Museum).

Iamgregp 30 Nov 2023
In reply to neilh:

Are those other spaces as large as that for the Elgin marbles? Are those pieces as important as the Elgin marbles?

No, and no again.  

For the third time, it’s the size, volume and importance of the Elgin marbles that makes them unique.

Your point about our theft of them adding to them is a view that I’d imagine would be shared by very few people outside of the U.K., let alone by those who live where they belong.

Iamgregp 30 Nov 2023
In reply to Stichtplate:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67144607.amp

If this was a story at the Acropolis museum we’d be using it as a point as to why the marbles should not be returned.

Plus repeated cleaning attempts have caused irreparable damage, plus there have been minor thefts, vandalism and accidents. 

Stichtplate 30 Nov 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> If this was a story at the Acropolis museum we’d be using it as a point as to why the marbles should not be returned.

Doubt it. The thefts in question were small pieces, easily smuggled out and easily overlooked. Not massive, world renowned sculptures forming one of the centre pieces of the museum.

> Plus repeated cleaning attempts have caused irreparable damage, plus there have been minor thefts, vandalism and accidents. 

I think you need some historical perspective on that damage. Maybe read up a little on the huge and entirely deliberate damage done to them pre-Elgin? Maybe read up a little on what happened to the sculptures Elgin didn't make off with?

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2002/12/01/a-short-history-of-the-parthenon...

As I said previously, what has been preserved should be returned.

Iamgregp 30 Nov 2023
In reply to Stichtplate:

Yes agreed the stolen pieces weren’t anything like the size and significance f the Elgin marbles, but I still think if this happened at the Acropolis museum it would be brought up in discussions of this nature.

And of course, those that weren’t removed have also been damaged etc, but I wanted to make the point that we’ve not been entirely perfect curators of them, which is particularly key as we shouldn’t even have them in the first place.

Minor points really though I guess, we both agree that they ought to be returned, that’s the important point which I’m glad we agree on. 

neilh 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

It’s a bit more than that in the historical and cultural significance of that whole area. . Never denied that. And as I said have repeatedly said before a permanent loan is the negotiated way forward. An apology though, no.

In reply to NobleStone:

> Sadly it's not that simple. Plenty of damage was caused to the friezes and the Parthenon in removing and shipping the sculptures. London's smoggy atmosphere and successive attempts by the museum to clean* the marbles have caused irreparable damage.

> For what it's worth, I think the row benefits both Sunak and Mitsotakis. Both of them have far more important things to worry about, but now everyone's talking about the marbles instead!

> *When was the last time you cleaned something with a chisel?

Everything I've heard has made it sound like Sunak 'has mishandled yet another thing' and that seems to be what a lot of his own MPs think.

Iamgregp 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Stichtplate:

Interesting article by the way.  

This paragraph in particular caught my eye:

"Unesco guidelines on the restitution of cultural properties call for the return of those objects which are “central to the cultural identity and national heritage of a people”, and whose removal “divests that culture of one of its dimensions”. Do these guidelines apply to the Parthenon sculptures in London? I believe not. The modern Greeks are not the sole heirs to the achievements of the ancient Greeks, and, moreover, those achievements are not the sole or even the most important component of their present-day identity. Nor can it reasonably be argued that modern Greece has been divested of an entire dimension of its national heritage by Elgin’s actions."

I wonder if the author of the article would share this view had a wealthy Greek removed Stonehenge a couple of centuries back?

Post edited at 13:17
 slawrence1001 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> The modern Greeks are not the sole heirs to the achievements of the ancient Greeks

This part of the article is hilarious. Rarely ever is the ancient culture of a society the most important component of modern society, especially in a hyper-modernised world where culture is shared across borders with ease.

As you bring up Stonehenge, our British modern culture is not owed primarily to the culture of the inhabitants of the British isles from 3000BC. 

Stichtplate 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> I wonder if the author of the article would share this view had a wealthy Greek removed Stonehenge a couple of centuries back?

On one hand Stonehenge’s geographical location and orientation with the Sun is sort of the whole point.

On the other hand the author is a Greek American so he probably couldn’t give a toss.

Iamgregp 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Stichtplate:

From the way he comes across in that article I’d suggest he’s no stranger to a toss.

OP Pedro50 01 Dec 2023

King Charles seen wearing a tie with a Greek flag on it at COP conference. Respect from a republican.

Lankyman 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> King Charles seen wearing a tie with a Greek flag on it at COP conference. Respect from a republican.

His dad was Greek so he'll probably get into the Athens museum free if the marbles go there

NathanP 01 Dec 2023

> ... seeing that the Turks who occupied Greece at the time were taking things like this down and breaking them up for use in road building, purchased them and had them shipped back to the UK...

My own position is that, yes, it is time to return the Parthenon Marbles to Greece but, and not replying or taking exception to Tony's post, but to place that 'at that time' in context.

The Turks conquered and occupied Athens in 1456. When Elgin started removing some of the Parthenon Marbles in 1801, that's 345 years - as much separation as we have from Charles II and The Restoration.

Whilst there were contemporary voices that called for keeping them in place (most famously Byron), it's not like it was an obviously temporary occupation or the Ottomans were very good custodians of these treasures. It is quite possible for removing them in 1801, keeping them in London until recently and giving them back now to all be for the best.

mondite 01 Dec 2023
In reply to NathanP:

> The Turks conquered and occupied Athens in 1456. When Elgin started removing some of the Parthenon Marbles in 1801, that's 345 years

And the previous occupiers had been there since 86 bce.

mondite 01 Dec 2023
In reply to neilh:

>  And as for the Rosetta stone, very humbling. There is a dispute on that, but its a bit unclear who it reaally belongs to- is it French, Egyptian etc etc. nobody reaaly knows so i suspect it will stay with the BM.

The Rosetta stone is interesting since its historical importance is mostly due to its use in French and mostly British hands once we nicked it off them. It was a mass produced decree and there have been several other copies found since.

I find the Shabaka Stone particularly humbling. A pretty triumphal piece of text which has been worn away when it was reused for other purposes quite possibly as a millstone.

Ozymandias in miniature.

neilh 02 Dec 2023
In reply to mondite:

An amusing tale in the Marbles.

“The essex antiquities” doesn’t have quite the same ring. The sculptures that were hacked from the Parthenon in the early 19th century go by many names. They are called the “Parthenon Sculptures”, the “Parthenon Marbles” and, by traditionalists, “the Elgin Marbles” but never known by the name of the county in the south-east of England. Yet in 1902 part of the frieze from the Acropolis turned up in a rockery in a charming garden in Essex. Quite how it got there, as Mary Beard, a classicist, puts it, “we have no idea.”

neilh 02 Dec 2023
In reply to mondite:

It is commonly said that the Rosetta Stone has three scripts on it but as Neil MacGregor, a former director of the museum, has pointed out, it has four. On the side it reads “Captured by the British Army in 1801”.

Godwin 04 Dec 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

I can see both sides of this argument but tend to come down on the side of them going back to Athens as they will be viewed in context and there is a apparently a great facility to house them, and the BM has an awful lot of other great pieces.

But the caveat I would give though is that the museum where they are housed should be free of charge to enter, access to culture and art should not be limited by money. Some museums I know give free access to locals but pieces like this belong to humanity, so should be free to all, or at the very least if one pays to enter once, that should entitle to free entry thereafter.

A joy of visiting a UK Art Gallery or Museum is that one can enter and view one or two select pieces (and not feel one has to get ones moneys worth), unlike many European Galleries where one has to pay €15 or more and fill ones boots so to speak. I was pleasantly surprised by in Madrid and Valencia were the Prado and Reinia Sofia have two hours free most evenings and the Bellas Artes in Valencia is free of charge and a gallery well worth seeking out.

Post edited at 08:59
 mondite 05 Dec 2023
In reply to neilh:

Reading the economist by any chance?

neilh 05 Dec 2023
In reply to mondite:

great article on it......

lowersharpnose 16 Dec 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

I have changed my mind.  They should be returned to Athens.  Make some copies first etc.

Rob Exile Ward 20 Dec 2023
In reply to lowersharpnose:

Steady - I'm not sure that's allowed round here...

lowersharpnose 20 Dec 2023
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

If you cannot change your mind, it is not fit for purpose.

An historian presents some facts...

youtube.com/watch?v=4petLw58Ofg&

Athenian rather than Greek.  Arguably, the defeat of the Persians, by the Athenians et al at the battle of Salamis in 480 B.C., was the most significant event in European, hence British, history.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...