UKC

The Girl from the North Country

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 01 Oct 2022

I'm not going to lie, this has me baffled. Absolutely no disrespect to the cast who acted and sang their a*ses off, I thought this was rubbish. Starting with the title - who WAS the girl, because I didn't spot her - to the 'plot' and characters, all lifted directly from O Henry, Mice and Men,  and Death of a Salesman - to the songs, plonked into the narrative practically at random (and, sadly, mostly missing any of the impact or nuance of the originals) ... I thought it was poor...

But I read the critics, even his Bobness himself! and apparently it is transcendental! Am I a) an ignorant prole utterly lacking critical faculties or b) clearly seeing through the Emperor's new clothes? Blowed if I know.

birdie num num 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Blimey....spoiler alert! 
Isn't all this stuff a bit 'all our yesterday's'? A bit like glamping at Glastonbury? Plush, comfortable nostalgia for lost idealists? Student anarchists.

I saw Bob Dylan in Liverpool a few years ago. He's started crooning now. It was dreadful.

The Freewheelin' should remain of its time I think. It was great. 

magma 02 Oct 2022

>  who WAS the girl

Marianne?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_from_the_North_Country_(musical)#Plot

Bob's north country girl is a bit of a mystery as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_from_the_North_Country

my fave version is Roy Harper's re-imported 'North Country'

JimR 02 Oct 2022

My favourite version is joe cocker and Leon Russell on Mad Dogs and Englishmen. Brilliant album

Is this on somewhere, then? I thought the run finished a few years ago.

jcm

Andy Clarke 03 Oct 2022
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

It's just started a long tour of regional theatres running up to March. I'm going to see it in Birmingham in February.

In reply to Andy Clarke:

Saw it in Newcastle - I hope you report back. Feel free to tell me what I wrote was rubbish!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...