UKC

Tom Waits joins Iggy Pop to present The Confidential Show, today.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepsoup 03 Dec 2023

I guess most people who'd be interested in this are already aware of Iggy Pop's 'Confidential Show' on Radio 6 Music.  But just in-casey for anyone who isn't: in what promises to be a rare treat this afternoon, Tom Waits will be joining him as a guest presenter.

4pm today, Radio 6 Music.  (And available on 'BBC Sounds' for a month afterwards.)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001st7l

Derek Furze 03 Dec 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Good shout thanks!

Dave Todd 03 Dec 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Again, most people who are interested will have already heard this, but if you haven't listened to Iggy interviewing Brian Eno then this is a great 90-ish mins of conversation;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFkpsobGh-c&t=2000s

Especially worth listening to the bit of acapella ('Get a job'...) around 0:39:30...lovely!

ripper 03 Dec 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Iggy and Waits in conversation - I can only imagine the combined basso profundo rumble will be so pronounced that at least half of what they say will drop outside the range of human hearing. 

Matt Podd 03 Dec 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

It was bloody marvelous! The dogs Bollox! and very fine music too.

OP deepsoup 03 Dec 2023
In reply to Matt Podd:

Very glad to hear that.  I was at work so I missed it, I've downloaded it to listen to later.

Blue Straggler 03 Dec 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Iggy as a presenter seemed delightful on paper but I've actually found him tedious to the point of wondering (way before this year's mass anti-AI movement) whether it was just an AI Iggy? Not seriously wondering that, but he was so "Iggy" that it got very tired very quickly and almost diminished the music. His music choices have been good, it's just his "Iggy by Numbers" presentation that doesn't click with me. But that's all about me me me; sorry.  

OP deepsoup 04 Dec 2023
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Not seriously wondering that, but he was so "Iggy" that it got very tired very quickly and almost diminished the music.

I usually really enjoy what he has to say, but find him barely listenable if I'm doing something else at the time so rarely listen live - I can't be doing with his show being on in the background.  In part because I find his voice demands attention in a way that few other radio DJs do, and also I guess because the music he plays is so wildly eclectic.

So I mostly download his shows to listen to whilst driving - I have a long boring drive to do tomorrow and I'm very much looking forward to listening to this one then.

FWIW I don't think he's at all "Iggy" on the show, and never has been.  "Iggy" is a stage persona, if you met him socially he would introduce himself as "Jim" and whatever the BBC branding says I think it's clearly Jim Osterberg who presents the show.

BrendanO 04 Dec 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Ha - was climbing this morn, and my climbing partner was v much recommending this prog (not having read about it here!).

Andy Clarke 04 Dec 2023
In reply to ripper:

Given that they played William Burroughs, Captain Beefheart and Paul Robeson, whose voices also come from deep within the earth, I'm surprised they didn't set off the odd dormant volcano.

ripper 04 Dec 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Yes, I wasn't really paying attention when the Burroughs spoken word thing came on, took me a while to realise I wasn't still listening to one of the presenters 

OP deepsoup 10 Dec 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Slightly later than planned, I finally got around to listening to this during a slightly wild drive this evening.  It didn't disappoint, it's fantastic!

As well as the things mentioned above, the C.W.Stoneking track is really good (I'd never heard of him before) - but it tickled me a bit too.

"He has a style all of his own".  Ha ha, well yes but I dunno Tom, can't quite put my finger on it but he definitely reminds me of somebody!

youtube.com/watch?v=kVc5Ltul0j4&

Post edited at 03:13
 Siward 10 Dec 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Bill Nighy sits in for Iggy this afternoon.

OP deepsoup 10 Dec 2023
In reply to Siward:

He's done it a few times before and he's great.  But I thought of Bill Nighy when I read Blue Straggler's comments above - he's very Bill Nighy when he does the show.

I fell down a bit of a CW Stoneking youtube rabbithole.  Yessiree, It certainly is surprising that Tom Waits likes this guy..

youtube.com/watch?v=5_rDNfvbc3I&

Post edited at 13:26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...