UKC

When the sunlight strikes raindrops in the atmosphere

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave B 21 Feb 2024

Breathtaking.. 

"When the sunlight strikes raindrops in the atmosphere, they act like a prism and form a rainbow. The rainbow is a division of white light into various beautiful colors. These take the shape of a long round arch, with its path towering above, and its two extremities apparently beyond the horizon. There is, according to legend, a boiling pot of gold at the one end. People look, but no human ever finds it. When a man looks for something beyond his reach, his friends say he is looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Throughout the centuries people have explained the rainbow in various ways. Nations have accepted it as a miracle without physical explanation. For certain groups it was taken that there would be no more general floods. The Norsemen considered the rainbow as a bridge over which the Gods passed from earth to their dwelling in the sky. Aristotle thought that the rainbow was caused by reflection of the sun’s rays by the rain. The difference is the rainbow depends considerably upon the size of the water drops, and the width of the colored band increases as the size of the drops increases.  "

Who else got chills just hearing that text again...

gld73 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Dave B:

I hadn't realised that was the standard text everywhere - I just thought the guy in our region who goes round face-fitting all front-line staff each year just really, really loves rainbows!

Post edited at 20:11
 DaveHK 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Dave B:

> Who else got chills just hearing that text again...

I've never heard this, what's the story?

McHeath 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Dave B:

> Who else got chills just hearing that text again...

I‘ve never heard or read it before, and tbh it reads for me like something written by a stressed 15 year old who only had 30 minutes of googling left to get their essay on rainbows finished on time. So no chills here, sorry!

In reply to DaveHK:

If memory serves it was/is the text you had to read while being fit tested for a respirator. I imagine there are a lot of us who only came across it when we were being considered for redeployment to Covid wards or expecting to be treating Covid positive patients.

Edit: interesting- just looked it up and it seems the reason it’s used is because within the first few lines it captures all of the phonemes used in English. 

Post edited at 21:01
 McHeath 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Stuart Williams:

Ok that explains a lot, thanks!

DaveHK 21 Feb 2024

Thanks!

Ridge 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Dave B:

Interesting. Exactly the same speech for my respirator fit tests (nuclear industry). Also lots of marching on the spot and turning the head up, down, left and right.

Post edited at 22:24
OP Dave B 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Ridge:

It sounds like it standard testing across more than healthcare. 

It jumped me right back to being a new student and knowing nothing but being fitted for an ffp3 mask. 

Rampart 22 Feb 2024

> the reason it’s used is because within the first few lines it captures all of the phonemes used in English. 

Which, if you'll pardon my ignorance, has what to do with respirator fitting?

FactorXXX 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Ridge:

> Interesting. Exactly the same speech for my respirator fit tests (nuclear industry). Also lots of marching on the spot and turning the head up, down, left and right.

I seem to remember something like:
Gas, Gas, Gas!
Some exercises to prove that the respirator hopefully worked and with no leaks.
Remove respirator and state Rank, Name and Number (hoping the instructor doesn't pretend not to hear you).
Stumble out of the chamber in lots of discomfort.

In reply to Rampart:

That part of the test is about whether or not the mask maintains an airtight seal against your face whilst you are talking, so a short passage of text that makes you move your mouth and face in all the ways that you would during normal speech is exactly what you need.

FactorXXX 22 Feb 2024
In reply to Rampart:

> Which, if you'll pardon my ignorance, has what to do with respirator fitting?

Pheromones would make more sense.

Ridge 22 Feb 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I seem to remember something like:

> Gas, Gas, Gas!

> Some exercises to prove that the respirator hopefully worked and with no leaks.

> Remove respirator and state Rank, Name and Number (hoping the instructor doesn't pretend not to hear you).

> Stumble out of the chamber in lots of discomfort.

Yelling 'Gas, Gas, Gas' after masking supposedly purged any chemical agent from the mask.

Quite what a faceful of CS whilst reciting Number, Rank and name actually proved still eludes me.

Judging by the burning razor nicks on my neck under the hood, NBC suits didn't stop particulates, let alone nerve agents.

All in all I prefer the reciting of poems about rainbows with air sampling inside the mask approach!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...