UKC

Costa Blanca in December

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 19 Sep 2023

We're toying with the idea of a couple of weeks in Costa Blanca just before Christmas. We're very familiar with most areas, but have never stayed/climbed down south around Murcia, so we're thinking of giving that a try. I know one can't be certain, but is it likely to be dry and warm enough (e.g. on the big walls at Layva)? Has anyone climbed there at that time of year?

Thanks

George_Surf 19 Sep 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

Ye normally it’s dry and hot around then 

Mike Shamash 19 Sep 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

As main Leyva wall faces south it is usually a lovely place to climb in winter months.  There is a local guidebook (usually available at El Berro campsite) with 100 + routes on main wall as well as details on a few local single pitch areas in Sierra Espuna.  I have not ventured onto the North facing crags in the area ... but the main wall at Leyva is the highlight of the area.

When I go (most years!) if the weather is too cold/windy/rainy at Leyva there are some shorter climbs near Cartegena on the coast or inland near Mula that tend to be better when the weather is bad.  That said it's usually fine at Leyva.    Orihuela and Redovan are about an 1 - 1.5hrs  drive.

BStar 20 Sep 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

Hi Brian, 

I've stayed around that area in December before, we didn't climb at Layva but was climbing at Oriheula/Callosa and managed a couple of 4 pitch routes in a day (approx. 400m total). We had nice weather, it was warm and dry, but as you say you can't be certain of that. The mornings did start a bit cold and daylight fades fast but it's all manageable.  

It's certainly quieter down there rather than around Calpe and worth a visit.  

David Mora 07 Oct 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

There are lots of areas in south Alicante, and near Murcia.

Sport climbing and miltipitch.

Redován (La Pancha and El Rut), Callosa, Orihuela (Pared Negra, Reguero, etc...)

You can find more info in my blog https://montanamediterranea.blogspot.com/

I hope will be useful.

David Mora

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...