UKC

Cycle touring in Northern /central France

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 08 Mar 2015
Hi. We have toured for the last few years in Scotland in early /mid April. We have needed, duvet and warmish sleeping bag. This year we are setting off from St Malo on April 2nd. Is there someone who would know whether we will need duvet, warmish sleeping bag, or can we take layers, and summer sleeping bags. Thanks. We will be camping most nights.
dinkypen 08 Mar 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

The climate in northern France is not dissimilar to that of southern England. But it's impossible to predict what the weather is going to be like in a month's time. It could be 10 degrees, cold and damp, necessitating a warm sleeping bag, or it could be clear blue skies with temps into the high teens meaning a summer bag is needed! Take your pick.
OP Phil1919 08 Mar 2015
In reply to dinkypen:

Thanks!
 Toerag 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

I'd go for a 3 season bag (comfort to -2C or thereabouts), as Dinkypen said it'll be similar temps to southern England. If you're unaware, there's a cycle track following the line of an old railway from St.Malo to Caen or thereabouts.
OP Phil1919 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks. We will be heading SE for places like Angers but we could well start on the old railway line. How close to the ferry terminal is it?!
OP Phil1919 09 Mar 2015
In reply to Toerag:

Do you know if the cycle looking route down the Mayenne is any good?
 Toerag 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

I don't know any more than that I'm afraid . I just know that you can follow old railway lines from St.Malo as friends have done it.
 SteveD 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Phil1919:

There is a route that goes towards Dinan along the canal then on towards Rennes. Getting out of St Malo can be interesting as the main road out is a dual carriageway but there is a route I can point you at. The weather as someone pointed out can be quite cold at night so I guess just keep an eye on the forecast. The roads are generally pretty good for cycling and the drivers are mostly cyclist friendly, I tend to work out roughly where I want to end up at the end of the day then choose a route mainly based on the green roads on the michelin maps.

The whole area is great for touring and there are lots of cheap hotels around as well if you want a change. Not sure how many campsites will be open then as they tend to have a short season.

SteveD
OP Phil1919 17 Mar 2015
In reply to SteveD:

Thanks for that. I think we will take light duvets at night. e think we have researched campsites that are open but will need to use hotels as a back up I guess. We are heading for Saumur initially.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...