UKC

Euro roadtrip 6 months suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gerry Narkowicz 05 Apr 2016
I'm a 50 yr old experienced climber from Australia and trying to plan a 6 month European road trip from April to September 2017. I'm keen on all types of climbing but more interested in alpine rock routes..stuff unique to Europe that we don't get much of in Oz. What are the must visit areas in Europe and the best month to visit those places? I will come to the UK to climb gritstone..I've heard Pembroke is good and I want to climb the famous Centotaph Corner. But I'm open to any suggestions..I suppose Verdon and the Dolomites should be on the list? Thanks for your help. Gerry Narkowicz
 HeMa 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Gerry Narkowicz:

For long climbs:
Verdon (as early as possible)
Dolomites (summer, fall)
Bregalia (summer, fall)
Ailefrode (summer, fall)
Salbitchen (summer, fall)
Chamonix (early, if you wish to approach with skis, or summer, fall)
Rätikon (not sure, too hard stuff for me, most likely summer,fall)
Spring to mind.

For Central Europe that is.

Southern Scandinavia has some other option that are good in late spring/early summer... when some of the high stuff in the alps is still buried under snow.

If you have glacier skills and can ski. Ticking some of the high altitude classics around Cham with ski approach might be nice way to start the trip (eg. Gran Capusin and Voie Suisse or Voie Suisse to O Sole Mio, Gulliver if 7a at high altitude is not a problem).

Verdon is also good earlier in the season... so you don't bake in the sun... Quite often people go there during winter or early spring (like Feb).
 Morgan Woods 05 Apr 2016

As a fellow Oz climber definitely visit north wales if you have the chance. The corner is good but there are plenty of other as good or better climbs at the same grade. The rock is also quite well protected, somewhat akin to araps despite being volcanic. The peak is cool but I would preference wales.
 tjekel 05 Apr 2016

depending on grades, probably ... and looking from a rather neutral point, i don't know if the UK would take a lot of time in my itinerary purely on the quality of climbing. there's simply to much good stuff around in Skandinavia, practically everywhere in the Alps, the Balkans and Pyrenees ... just because some rock has been dropped in the North Sea now forming GB does not mean this is better than other places.

sorry friends - get beyond the Cham-Ailefroide-Dollies circle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...