UKC

Maps and guidebooks for Triglav

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 01 Nov 2015

What do I need? And what routes should I go for? Looking for easier stuff next summer as I will likely be alone.

Ta.
Post edited at 17:18
OP DaveHK 01 Nov 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Nobody?
SomeFool 02 Nov 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Going in January for some winter fun, have ordered maps from this site,
http://www.sidarta.si/
They also have a useful looking guide for Triglav
http://www.sidarta.si/en/climbing/triglav_hiking_guide.html

There's a Cicerone guide or 2 for Slovenia as well, pretty sure one covers the Julain Alps/Triglav.

In summer I believe the ferrata to the top is a straightforward and rewarding route.
 deacondeacon 02 Nov 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
I walked up Triglav a couple of years ago, it's easy walking with a little bit of easy Ferratta. The guidebooks recommending taking two days to summit, but if you're very hill fit it could be done in one very long day.
my memory is seriously struggling but if you don't get much info I'll dig the guidebooks out and try and refresh it.

My main memory of it was the 'UK Three Peaks' feel to it. Hundreds of people summiting in trainers and £5 cagouls, leaving rubbish on the path and crying on the Ferratta. It's also traditional to slap each other's arses on the Summit.

Slovenia is a fantastic area with very easy access into Austria and Italy, with amazing walking and Via Ferratta in nice quiet surroundings and dramatic scenery.
 BnB 02 Nov 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

The Cicerone guide to the Julian Alps is perfect for a lone traveller as it gives about four different ways up Triglav and no route in the book is harder than a grade 3 scramble. There are better (or certainly quieter) outings in it than Triglav too.

Can't recommend Slovenia highly enough.
 Toerag 02 Nov 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

There's a choice of 2 maps, one is 1:30k, the other is 1:25k I think. One of them has Triglav very close to a fold which is well annoying! either are fine, although the Dolomitic steepness of the ground makes contour interpretation tricky.
You could do it in one day but that would be massive - 1700m? ascent. Snow could be a problem, we had 6" down to 1800m the first week of September. If there is snow like that then it will be unpleasant at best and dangerous at worst, the Slovenes seem to have a random method of placing protection on VF - you'll have a protected bit, then an unprotected bit that is just as dodgy if not worse. Unless they're broken, the VF sections are generally better constructed than Italian ones.
The Cicerone guide is very good, and the very helpful writers run a lovely guesthouse - http://www.rivercottageslovenia.com/
If you've been to the Dolomites it's similar, but without the lifts, so days are either _very_ long, or overnighting in the huts is required.
 d_b 02 Nov 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Looking at your profile you would romp up any of the VF routes on Triglav.

The Cicerone guide is OK but uninspiring. "Mountaineering in Slovenia" looks very pretty but the text is a bit vague in parts.

There's a german language guide by Rother that is pretty comprehensive when it comes to VF routes.

For Triglav itself there is a small booklet helpfully entitled "How to climb Triglav", which is exactly what it claims to be.

All these books are available from the shop in the Slovenian alpine museum in Mojstrana. They also have maps which are significantly better than any I have managed to obtain in the UK.

If you drop me an email I will post you one of my old 1:50k maps of the area to study. You aren't having the nice one I bought at the museum though
 d_b 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Toerag:

I did the Bamburg route in a day. Started at 6am, was on the summit by 1. It's not such a big deal so long as you have a decent level of walking fitness and carry enough water.
OP DaveHK 07 Nov 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Looking at your profile you would romp up any of the VF routes on Triglav.

> If you drop me an email I will post you one of my old 1:50k maps of the area to study. You aren't having the nice one I bought at the museum though

The profile is well out of date!

Thanks for the offer YHM.

OP DaveHK 07 Nov 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks to everyone for your help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...