UKC

September sport climbing road cycling canoeing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 18 May 2014
I'm after ideas for a mid September destination for one to two weeks' holiday. Good for sport climbing 5's up to low 7's. Road cycling biggish hills and more gentle routes, river canoeing (not too difficult). Weather needs to be not too hot or cold. Good camping facilities.Manageable drive from UK. Frankenjura may be one option? How about areas in France?
 Enty 18 May 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

Dordogne? Ardeche?

E
In reply to Enty:

What's the climbing like on Dordogne? I went there on a family holiday and only found one not too inspiring crag? Yes I wandered about the Ardeche, not too hot in Sept?
 john arran 18 May 2014

As long as you really meant no hard canoeing then Ariège could be ideal. Shed loads of good climbing, TDF pyrenean road passes to sweat up and a gentle river to potter down leisurely.
aligibb 22 May 2014

Annecy/Morzine/Chatel area just south of Lake Geneva. Theres a good variety of road cycling routes and climbing around, and often if the weathers bad up in the mountains its good down by the lake. Helpful to have a car though if you want to access all the climbing areas.
 jimtitt 22 May 2014

As you say, the Franken. Both the northern and southern (Danube/Altmuhtal)offer good canoeing and naturally world class climbingand you can paddle, camp up and climb on some of the rivers. We´ve paddled nearly everything over the years with Canadians and everything is set up on the major rivers for paddlers in mind. Cycling no idea, I see people everywhere getting in my way puffing up hills though! The northern Franken is a plateau so short steep hills out of the river valleys and flat at the top.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...