UKC

California - Eastern Sierra Contacts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi guys,

I moved to California in June this year and I've been tearing my hair out because I haven't been out climbing as much as I'd have liked because of the heat etc, and I'm finally getting excited for the winter season when I hit upon a Rockfax miniguide from 2004 that says that prime climbing season is September until the snow falls! So now I'm desparate to get some info on conditions and routes, as well as finding a partner for some of the harder stuff. I've tried on Supertopo and Summitpost and mostly gotten "there is no ice in Cali, duuuude" so I'm reaching out back to the UK where the sensible people live for help!

Any advice for conditions, routes, where to find partners etc. would be greatly appreciated.
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:

This would be ice and alpine style climbing, sorry I didn't clarify.
 TobyA 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: There is ice climbing in California because I've seen my friends pictures of them climbing there - it looked very cool. The place had a double barreled name, or a persons name, that reminded me of Vin Diesel, although I don't think it was actually that...

OK googled it now - Lee Vining https://www.google.fi/search?q=lee+vining+ice+climbing Look alright doesn't it? Anyway, sorry no help beyond that.
 Michael Ryan 20 Oct 2013

SP Parker and myself put this together

http://www.rei.com/product/749786/eastern-sierra-ice-the-guides-guide-to-si...

Mick
altirando 20 Oct 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: Definitely ice in California. My daughter lives there. Certainly enough ice for her to fall 1500ft down Mount Shasta last year when she got blown off her holds. Mountaineering Route I believe it is called. If you are stuck for info, I can ask her for suggestions if you like.

Thanks for the responses! I know about Lee Vining and I'm deffo going to go there in the ice season, at the moment I'm looking for more alpine style summity routes. I have plans for Shasta and Whitney in the spring, I'm hoping to ease the long walk-ins with skis.
In reply to Michael Ryan - UKC and UKH:

Mick - that guide book is on my shopping list for today along with gaiters since I seem to have left mine in Scotland...

Do you know who I can ask for current conditions and weather reports? It seems like there is no simple combo of mwis, sais, and glencoe mountaineer that I usually rely on in Scottish winter. =D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...