UKC

Ice - Chamonix - May/June?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KlaasW 08 Feb 2014
I may "have" to go to Les Houches the first week of June. Would there still be any good ice climbing in Chamonix in the last week of May or 2nd week of June? For some inexplicable reason I have my sights set on Le fil à plomb...
 David Rose 09 Feb 2014
In reply to KlaasW:

Not likely it will be there. There will be other routes for sure in the Argentiere and Tacul areas.
OP KlaasW 09 Feb 2014
In reply to davidoldfart:

Thanks, too bad: it looks so nice! In the summer, you can supposedly find climbing partners by using a notice board on the guides office. Do you have any idea if that would work in May/June?
 David Rose 10 Feb 2014
In reply to KlaasW:

It's a quiet period, generally. It might not be so easy. The board is in the office de Haute Montagne, not the guides' Bureau. You might have more luck posting here. Don't worry, there will be ice routes in condition, though maybe not Fil a Plomb.
James Jackson 10 Feb 2014
In reply to KlaasW:

Off to a conference at the Ecole de Physique?
OP KlaasW 10 Feb 2014
In reply to James Jackson:

Yeah, Les Houches. "Metastability and Nucleation in Water", just my thing, next to Chamonix, how could I not go?!
James Jackson 10 Feb 2014
In reply to KlaasW:

I spent a very enjoyable fortnight there a few summers ago at a 'Beyond the Standard Model' physics working group meeting / conference; such an amazing setting, and a gloriously free intellectual environment. Good memories!
 pneame 10 Feb 2014
In reply to KlaasW:

That looks like the neatest place - even a couple of topics vaguely in my area.

But this looks the best:
L'INTERACTION DES ÉTOILES AVEC LE MILIEU INTERSTELLAIRE DES GALAXIES

You would have trouble getting more abstruse
OP KlaasW 10 Feb 2014
In reply to pneame:

True, I guess. Although, having taught astronomy for a few years, it does sound somewhat interesting. But anyway, how abstruse is it to risk your life and the well being of your family to climb some high peaks for no reason whatsoever? It's all quite relative...
 pneame 11 Feb 2014
In reply to KlaasW:

Good point. What I used to do for a living was of significance to maybe half a dozen people in the world and of interest to perhaps another 100!
 dgbryan 12 Feb 2014
In reply to KlaasW:

Well I won't doing anything very intellectual at all, but on the same general theme as the original post - any thoughts on conditions in early May, including the more classic things?
Damian
 alps_p 12 Feb 2014
In reply to dgbryan:

I would also be keen to find out the answer to this. camptocamp.org website has quite a few ascents logged, and in fact for certain climbs (e.g. north face of Tour Ronde) I've been told late may / early june was the best time to climb. But I'd like to hear first-hand experience from people.

As for myself, I climbed some of the easier (AD) routes on Tacul triangle during long May weekends.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...