UKC

Mt St Elias

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Annoying Twit 25 Aug 2014
Has anyone ever climbed by foot from the sea to the summit of Mt St Elias? I'm watching a movie right now about climbing up and skiing down, but they are starting the climb from a fair way up, and mention that most climbers do this.

Are there any other plausible climbs from sea level to the summit of a major mountain?
 Damo 25 Aug 2014
In reply to Annoying Twit:

Well the Duke of Abruzzi did it for the first ascent in 1897, then a team led by Jon Waterman some years ago did it for a historical repeat.

Several of those big peaks like Mt Logan, Mt Augusta, Mt Fairweather have been climbed from sea-level. Mt Rainier, Mt Everest, Aconcagua have also all been done in one trip from the sea.
 Flashy 26 Aug 2014

I have read that there is a small climbing subculture in the Pacific NW that is doing just that, as well as using non-motorised travel, to make 'purer' ascents.
Annoying Twit 26 Aug 2014
In reply to Flashy:

Thanks Damo and Flashy for the information. I really should have known of the Duke of Abruzzi's ascent - I must have read of it at some point but didn't remember the details, mainly I know of his K2 adventures.

Everest from sea level is a really impressive trek. Goran Kropp of course cycled thousands of kilometers then climbed Everest. I haven't read his book, but wonder if he reached sea level on some point of that trip.

The Mount St Elias film itself was a very slight anti-climax for me. In that they skied from the top of the mountain to the sea by first skiing from base camp to the sea, Then they skied from the summit to the base camp. They said that they've now 'done it' concerning the ski descent, but unless someone has done it since, I can still see a major 'first' to be done on that mountain.

I didn't like the concentration on Aaron Martin's death on a previous attempt, and the (I hope) recreation of his fatal fall was not the kind of thing I wanted to see. Let alone over and over.

There was a very interesting segment where the climber/skiers were stuck in a vicious looking storm, and had to retreat into a snowcave. While they all survived seemingly uninjured, how close they came to full physical and mental exhaustion, and 'giving up', is well documented. I'm not sure if it's a bit voyeuristic to find that segment fascinating, even if they all came out of it fine. But then, that's what Touching the Void is about, though that movie is of course a recreation, not actual footage.
abseil 26 Aug 2014

> ...Goran Kropp of course cycled thousands of kilometers then climbed Everest. I haven't read his book, but wonder if he reached sea level on some point of that trip...

He went through Romania and Turkey, and so presumably reached sea level in Istanbul.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...