UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Adventure Medical Kits Emergency Bivvy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 23 Nov 2010
Adventure Medical Kits Emergency Bivvy #1, 3 kbBe prepared for the unexpected this winter with Adventure Medical Kits Heatsheets Emergency Bivvy

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3199
 PM 23 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Magical silvery blankets only reflect up to 90% of your radiated body heat. It's an important distinction to make, as body heat is also lost by several other means (if I remember correctly: convection, conduction, expiration, perspiration).
Mr Eddie 23 Nov 2010
In reply to PM: by gettinginto a bag it will also minimise convection,sit in that bag on a rucksack and you have dealt with conduction.
 Sam1991 23 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC Gear: Definitely helped to save my life in an emergency 12 hour stay in a snowhole with no sleeping bag, bivvy bag, food, or water, maybe made that difference between really cold, and really REALLY cold? Worth sticking in the sack.
 liamo333 23 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

Will it pack down to its original if you use it???
 mrchewy 23 Nov 2010
In reply to liamo333: yes
 PM 23 Nov 2010
In reply to Mr Eddie: Yep, not saying that they're a bad idea, just the way the gear thing is phrased it makes it sound like you get in this bag and suddenly you're only losing 10% of your body heat over any given period. It's not quite that simple, or effective.

These bags are miles miles better than space blankets which (being blankets rather than bags) are not so useful if it's at all windy.
 p3t3 23 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC Gear:

What about using one of these as a mega lightweight bivi bag?
 mrchewy 23 Nov 2010
In reply to p3t3: Done that myself in summer, it was sweaty and horrid but then so is a normal bivvy bag IME. It wouldn't last too many nights if you were harsh with it, although mine looks perfect and it's been used twice. Weighs less than a third of the weight of my trekmates bivvy, there's just a couple of hundred grammes in it mind, so unless space and weight was absolutely crucial I'd be taking the heavier one.
 Lemony 23 Nov 2010
In reply to mrchewy: They also make a slightly heavier version which is a little warmer and muchn more durable. http://www.facewest.co.uk/AMK-Thermolite-2-Bivvy.html

might work as an emergency bivvy or maybe a sleeping bag for MMs if they let you in...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...