UKC

Coloured krabs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean_J 12 Sep 2005
Why is it that we don't seem to get the full range of colours of krabs in the UK, whilst the US get a veritable rainbow of krabs to choose from?
For example:

www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/biners/dmmspectrecarabinersquickdraws.htm

Whilst all we get is boring old "titan" and "bright" (see link)? I thought all DMM hardware was made in the UK anyway, so why no nice bright shiny colours for us?

willow 13 Sep 2005
In reply to Sean_J:

perhaps we're not so shallow: would be nice tho'

does colouring metal weaken it ?
roblo 13 Sep 2005
In reply to willow:
> (In reply to Sean_J)
>
> does colouring metal weaken it ?

I hope not..

heres some more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodization

call DMM and ask them who they supply coloured crabs to.

rob

In reply to Sean_J: DMM can and will supply coloured krabs. the krabs colour coded ones that come with there cams sold loose. shops for some bizzare reason don't seem to want to stock exciting colours. i'm sure a good shop like R+R or Needlesports would order them in for you. they are the same price as the standard ones. personally i find looking down at silver harness very confussing when lookibg for a certain piece of gear.
 Mark Stevenson 13 Sep 2005
In reply to Sean_J: I've got loads of the DMM prowires to match my non-DMM cams, rockcentrics etc..

A very nice climbing shop ordered them specially from DMM for me several years ago (however I was buying £1500 of gear at the time).

Basically it seems climbing shops don't see a market for them.
 GrahamD 13 Sep 2005
In reply to Sean_J:

Ideally, I'd prefer to have only two colours: red for rope, blue for, well, the other end.
 betamonkey 13 Sep 2005
In reply to Sean_J:

I'm sure it's just market forces at work. For an outlet to stock krabs in every available colour would involve huge costs... Most places probably wouldn't have enough turnover to justify this cost. It's easier and cheaper for them to stock the usual silver ones...

As people have said, if you really want coloured krabs, I'm sure most places would order them for you...
IainM 13 Sep 2005
In reply to GrahamD: Heliums - you can get either Red or Silver
Simon Marsh - DMM 13 Sep 2005
In reply to betamonkey:

Just to clarify the situation from the DMM standpoint:

- DMM produce the Spectre in Blue, Red, Gold, Green and Purple as standard.
- These biners are available ex-stock from us via our retailers.
- The price of the coloured biners is the same across the range.
- Most good retailers will order these in for you and we are more than happy to supply them.

Regards

Simon Marsh

DMM International

GrahamD 13 Sep 2005
In reply to IainM:
> (In reply to GrahamD) Heliums - you can get either Red or Silver

All you need.
 GrahamD 13 Sep 2005
In reply to Sean_J:

Why do you want loads of colours ?
 Liam M 13 Sep 2005
In reply to GrahamD: I think he wants to colour code the krabs on his cams, so when he looks down he can instantly tell which cam it is and reduce the time searching for them.
 ickleiz 13 Sep 2005
In reply to Sean_J: Im not so sure about colouring everything. The nuts look nice and shiny and pretty at first but then after a weeks use they look all battered and older than the plain metal originals. I am going to hang on to my originals for as long as poss!
 GrahamD 13 Sep 2005
In reply to Liam M:

Hmm - I sceptical that that really helps - a good racking system and not too much gear is possibly a better solution. Still, each to their own.
OP Sean_J 13 Sep 2005
In reply to Simon Marsh - DMM: Thanks for the info, might be getting some at some point.
OP Sean_J 13 Sep 2005
In reply to Liam M: Correct, you win a cookie! Doesn't stop at the cams either... basically I need more QDs, and already have loads of slings, so thought I might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
OP Sean_J 13 Sep 2005
In reply to GrahamD: You've obviously not seen my rack... "comprehensive" doesn't begin to describe it!
OP Sean_J 13 Sep 2005
In reply to ickleiz: I don't see the point of coloured nuts; as you say, they wear down and look all crappy after a short while, plus the old ones have colour-coded labels on anyway!
 sandywilson 14 Sep 2005
In reply to Sean_J:

I used to think the same as you. I have a set of plain walnuts and some recently acquired coloured stoppers. Having had to find a nut in a hurry last night, it's easier with coloured nuts than pearing at the labels. So I've changed my mind.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...