UKC

Custom made nut tool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Klemen 04 Jun 2015
So I have an opportunity to make a unique design of a nut tool (or any similar tool for that matter). I thought I could add a cool feature or two, do you have any ideas? Like a beer opener, but less cliche and hopefully useful

If some of you already have some home made tools, please share.
 FactorXXX 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Klemen:

The 'Crag Swag' rules stamped into the body of the device.
That way, people might try a little harder in getting their gear out, before swanning off after a token effort and posting a snivelling message on UKC...
 Timmd 04 Jun 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

> The 'Crag Swag' rules stamped into the body of the device.

> That way, people might try a little harder in getting their gear out, before swanning off after a token effort and posting a snivelling message on UKC...

Boo!

I once left a harness and some friends and other bits and pieces at the bottom of Curbar by mistake many years ago and had no response to lost adverts & saw no found adverts.

Boo! (again)
 humptydumpty 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Boo indeed - wasn't really swag, was it. (Forgotten, not abandoned.)
 humptydumpty 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Klemen:

Some suggestions:

* a chisel, to allow chipping extra holds when in a tight spot (bang the other end with a hex)
* a spanner to tighten loose hangers (salewa or someone already do this, and it's never been useful to me, but perhaps worth mentioning)
* an emergency hanger, for when you find a bolt without one
* nail file, for getting rid of excess growth when on expedition
* a ruler, to measure how deep into a crack a cam has walked, so you can explain to the leader that it's not your fault you didn't retrieve it
 Timmd 04 Jun 2015
In reply to humptydumpty:

Exactly.
 Jack B 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Klemen:
A sharp but well protected blade for cutting tat, like http://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-albu-g2-M01-6A-93-rBVaGlS3KJ-AWGGpAAPtjJE... though the type of steel used in nut keys might not keep a good enough edge. Make sure it's wide enough for tat but you can't get your mate's skinny half rope in there by accident.

A nutkey that folds up. Actually nutkeys seem to be responsible for a disproportionate number of minor injuries when people fall while wearing stuff, possibly because they are longer and stiffer than most stuff on your harness, and have a fairly sharp end.

A smooth oval slot, so it works as a sticht plate when you drop your belay device (probably a terrible idea unless you know a lot about metallurgy and know it's strong enough)

A spork.
Post edited at 18:30
 FactorXXX 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I once left a harness and some friends and other bits and pieces at the bottom of Curbar by mistake many years ago and had no response to lost adverts & saw no found adverts.

Perhaps they could have the 'Feckless Idiot' rules embossed on the other side?
 Timmd 04 Jun 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

Ta very much.

You must be a lovely person...?
 FactorXXX 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Timmd:

You must be a lovely person...?

Yes, that's why I made sure I put a smiley at the end...
 ColdWill 04 Jun 2015
In reply to Klemen:

One like this

//www.dpmclimbing.com/climbing-gear/view/dick’s-nut-tool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...