UKC

HMG mids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
needvert 29 Jul 2014
Pondering 4 season shelters.

Anyone have any thoughts on their survivability in storms? Do they get miserable when the wind gets up?

I have some CF8 stuff that I can't tear, so its not an obviously weak material. Poles would be two ski or walking poles, so could take a fair bit of compressive load.

For reference sake, I have a Jannu and am curious which would stand up to the worser weather.
 Kai 29 Jul 2014
In reply to needvert:

All depends on how you have them pitched.

In snow, with the edges buried, and skis or other sturdy anchors to hold them down, they are bomb proof. Will hold up as well as (or better than) any other tent, provided you have the sides staked out in a relatively even manner. (Requires a relatively level spot.)

On rocky ground, it becomes harder to stake them out in an even manner so the canopy is taut all around. Not saying you can't do it, it just takes a bit more work. Make sure the stakes are sturdy, and pitch it close to the ground if you are expecting heavy weather.

I have survived some really heavy winds and rain in a pyramid. I have also had a pyramid blow away in a storm because it wasn't properly staked down.

Provided you have the space to pitch it correctly, they can be very strong. Just make sure you take the time to do it right.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...