UKC

Iphone for on call

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cmr132 30 Oct 2013
I was wondering if anyone knew of a app or setting on the iphone so that whilst on call during the night certain texts would produce a sound on an iphone whilst the rest of the phone remains silent? I know Android have an app called fire alert 2.

Thank you
 steveliput 30 Oct 2013
In reply to cmr132: there are some system settings around 'do not disturb' you can use. i think you can let through some calls and block others
 steveliput 30 Oct 2013
In reply to cmr132: there are some system settings around 'do not disturb' you can use. i think you can let through some calls and block others
OP cmr132 30 Oct 2013
In reply to cmr132:

Yes they are for calls, our search team uses texts and I want to sure I don't miss on whilst making sure other texts or emails don't wake me.
 chris_s 30 Oct 2013
In reply to cmr132:

Pretty sure the Do Not Disturb function works for texts as well - just make sure the number is in your favourites list and it'll get through.
 richprideaux 30 Oct 2013
In reply to cmr132:

I used to assign that loud klaxon ringtone for texts from the callout number (actually it was a name as the team I was in used SARCALL), and assign a quiet and discreet tone to all emails. You have to keep the little 'vibrate' switch up to enable sounds, but I was able to sleep through texts and emails but the callout ones always woke me up.

Another route is to get texts sent to your landline as well - if the landline rang at 3am I always knew it would be bad news or a callout.
Simos 30 Oct 2013
In reply to cmr132:

Just thinking out loud and don't know if this is going to work but I wonder whether you could set the default sounds for phones/texts to 'none' before you go to bed but then Edit the contacts you want and change their default sound to something else that will be audible (this should be a one-off).

As mentioned earlier I think you'd have to keep the sound on from the little switch on the top right of the phone.

The other option is perhaps to have a second (rubbish) phone with a pay as you go sim card and give that number out for the on call - thinking about it I think you can get dual sim card adapters for the iphone too but not sure!

Out of curiosity, how many other calls/texts do you normally get in the middle of the night? :-p
OP cmr132 31 Oct 2013
In reply to cmr132:

I guess its more emails I get during the night so perhaps just turning them on silent will solve it. The call outs come in text form so keen to make sure I don't miss one
 Carolyn 31 Oct 2013
In reply to cmr132:

I use an iPhone in similar situation.

Emails are set not to alert (just badge the icon on the home screen) - although if you need specific emails to be more obvious, google the VIP function - it's a bit obscure but you can sort it.

Most texts are set to a fairly low key beep.

SARCALL texts have been set (though contacts, from what I remember) to the loudest siren you can imagine! This overrides the default, so I think the suggestion above of changing the default text alert to "none" overnight would do the trick.

Not sure if you can get anything to override the "do not disturb" function, haven't tried through that.
 Carolyn 31 Oct 2013
In reply to cmr132:

Oh, and it may also depend what automated text system is used - on the old system, our team leader found it was the same system (and so came from the number) as his bank - so until he managed to unsubscribe from that, once a week he got a 3 am text telling him his bank balance......
 butteredfrog 31 Oct 2013
In reply to cmr132:

Settings - Do Not Disturb - Set do not disturb times (e.g. 11pm till 7am), Select which calls and texts numbers to allow.

Job done, your phone goes to sleep at the specified time, except for allowed numbers.

Cheers Adam
OP cmr132 31 Oct 2013
In reply to cmr132:

Do not disturb feature only seems to work for calls but not texts.

Carolyn 01 Nov 2013
In reply to cmr132:

Yes, I wondered that when I played last night, it only referred to call, and made no references to texts from "favourites" - have you actually tested it to check if they come through or not?
 Stav 02 Nov 2013
In reply to cmr132:

Apparently there is an android app called "Advanced Silent Mode" which will let me do the same thing (if I had memory for apps). Maybe there's an iphone version of that app?
OP cmr132 03 Nov 2013
In reply to cmr132:

Yes I have tested the do not disturb feature and it only works with calls not texts. Honk android have some better apps in this respect.
 Carolyn 03 Nov 2013
In reply to cmr132:

Cheers. I've just looked at the SARCALL fact sheet, and when that was written, they hadn't found a good iOS app (I suspect Apple might not actually allow them?)
 Craigyboy13 03 Nov 2013
In reply to cmr132: do not disturb works for texts as well. but if you are on the phone when the text comes through it will make a noise unless you change the settings of do not disturb.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...