UKC

Metolius Rock Rings vs Crusher Orbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 02 Nov 2014
Hi,

Given I am quite busy at the uni and can't do 3/4 climbing sessions a week, I need a fingerboard to maintain some training at home. However, at the flat we rent all walls are plasterboard, so we can't drill.

I can't decide what's better, Rock Rings or Orbs. Orbs seems to be more versatile as it does not restrict how many fingers you use, but I'm afraid it's not going to be comfortable to use for pockets. Also, I kinda prefer wood rather than plastic.

Wedge by Crusher holds is another option, but it seems a little bit odd.
 Richard Wilson 02 Nov 2014
In reply to PPP:

You can fix to the plasterboard walls. Just find the studs first & fix to them.

Failing that get a door way mounting kit for a finger board.

http://www.climbukshop.com/product.php/149/fingerboard-doorway-mounting-sys...
 cha1n 02 Nov 2014
In reply to PPP:

I've tried both, I actually have a single orb which I used for warming up prior to getting on rock when my skin is thin. I think the orb is as well made as any other wooden fingerboard I've hung on (beastmaker, metolius, etc). I'd go for the orbs over the wedge as you can hang the orbs one-armed, whereas the wedge is designed to be used with both hands (I think).

The rock rings are nice enough though, nicely shaped, quite comfy on the joints. The woody boards always get a bit painful on the joints for me when dragging but I think that's because they have to have a fairly aggressive edge on them so your fingers don't slip off whereas the resin ones can have a more radiused edge because the friction is good.
OP PPP 03 Nov 2014
In reply to Richard Wilson:

Thanks, I had some ideas how to fix a fingerboard (you can get an "adapter" for pull up bar), but I realized I am moving too frequently and I might go abroad in few years. Also, it's rather expensive solution, especially when I don't have any tools.
OP PPP 03 Nov 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Thanks, a great comparison. I think I might go for Orbs as they are cheaper and made of wood, but I'm not sure if I could use them to do dips. I've seen some videos that people manage to do dips with Rock Rings.
 Paul Crusher R 03 Nov 2014
In reply to PPP:

This might be a solution to your mounting problem? ....

http://crusherholds.co.uk/fingerboard-mounting-device-2

Pewtle 03 Nov 2014
In reply to PPP:

I had the rock rings before I got a beastmaker and drilled into the wall in our flat. They are good if you are regularly moving around, but the pockets are pretty deep, so you aren't going to get the crushing finger strength you would get off a more varied board.

You need to get inventive with weights / one armers to get enough load on your fingers to see gains.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...