UKC

Booked to do Winter Skills Course but No Snow almost. Advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lukeap 02 Jan 2014
Hi, 2 months ago I booked onto a 2 day winter skills course in just over a weeks time in Snowdonia but there is barely any snow at all from what I can tell on the internet.

Also, I still need to buy my B2 boots, crampons, winter trousers, primaloft jkt and I'm now unemployed, and I'm eating into my savings.

Should I bother going?

Many thanks in advance for your opinions and/or advice.

Luke
 bash291 02 Jan 2014
In reply to lukeap:

I have just done a two day winter skills course up at Fort William through Steven Fallon.It was class, really enjoyed myself.Some of the guys on the course hired the boots and crampons in.So I would would suggest doing the same.Now Snow wise you cant really do anything about that unless the instructor changes venues.I was Hellvellyn yesterday and there was snow so may be that could be an option.You never know things might change an Snow might start falling in Snowdonia soon.
 imkevinmc 02 Jan 2014
In reply to lukeap:

Always pot luck hoping to do winter skills in Snowdonia. A lot of Welsh providers actually hold the course itself in Scotland.

National Centres in Wales and Scotland will generally provide protective kit (incl. over trouser & jacket)

Do you envisage being able to put these skills to any use this winter? If not, it might keep another year. See if the provider will let you postpone.

However, it might also give you a boost to get out there anyway.
 jester69 02 Jan 2014
In reply to lukeap:

It depends on where your course is booked...I did a 2 day winter skills at Plas Y Brenin a long time ago. It was superb despite virtually no snow as they have an extensive area covered with railway sleepers at different slope angles. They provide specially sharpened crampons and the techniques that you learn plus associated confidence on ensuring that you get it right are (IMHO) far more valuable than doing the initial part of the course in actual snow.

I agree though to check with the course team to see what they say.

Enjoy it when you eventually do though.

Pete
 martinph78 02 Jan 2014
In reply to lukeap:

Why not give them a call and ask them for advice? I'm sure they'd help you decide what kit is needed for the current conditions, what you can borrow, or even better, if you can get a refund/postpone it.

In reply to lukeap:

My advice would be to cancel if you are indeed unemployed and can't afford the equipment. yes you might lose your booking deposit etc but if there's no work on the horizon to pay for all this equipment you are going to have limited use out of, i'd concentrate on finding a job and rebooking at a later date. It's probably not the advice you want to hear but unemployment is a bitch and going on a winter skills course is not going to get you any work.

If you do go, I live in Snowdonia and I'd be willing to lend you some equipment that might fit you to see you through the course but I'd consider cancelling - the mountains aren't going anywhere!
 rusty8850 02 Jan 2014
In reply to lukeap:

On a more positive note. You could make enquiries with Plas y Brenin about hiring kit (boots, crampons and ice axe). Providing you have full set of waterproof s and reasonable amount of fleece type layers (even really cheap ones) you don't need a primaloft jacket. I managed for many years without one and now it just lives in the bottom of my rucksack for 'emergencies'. You'll probably be on the move all day so will keep warm.
There is still snow high up and some pretty big snow fields to practice wearing crampons. Its also 2 weeks off so could be much more wintery (or less....). A winter skills course in Snowdonia is rarely going to be as good as one in Scotland but if you have very little experience you'll get some good training done if there is some snow. If your instructor is worth his salt he will give you a good mountain experience regardless.
You could book one in Scotland and spend 2 days being blown over or ploughing through knee high snow. Winter is always a bit of a gamble. Keep the faith. It might be amazing!!
 squirrel00 02 Jan 2014
In reply to lukeap:

hi just done one at plas y brenin , there was no snow or ice but plenty of rain , learnt a hell of a lot due to there railway sleeper system and a hill they found which you can get some speed up on to practice the ice axe arrest, you have to wear their old cheap waterproofs for this as you get covered in mud and possibly the odd bit of sheep sh^te, also they winterise your nav and explain the avalanch forcasts so you can understand them , done it through the bmc so it was very cheap and well worth the few quid. you can borrow any kit you need from them
 llanberis36 02 Jan 2014
In reply to lukeap:
I am going to plas y brenin to do a winter navigation course on the 18 and 19 Jan. I will be leaving Buxton on the Friday morning and climbing or walking on that day before going to the course the next day, unsure where you are and what dates you are going although can give you a free lift
johnj 02 Jan 2014
In reply to lukeap:

If you're out of work, unless you're doing this course to gain employment I'd see it as a luxury, and ask if they could hold a place for the future.
 Only a hill 02 Jan 2014
In reply to lukeap:

Going on a course is always worthwhile if you think you will have a need for the skills. I went on a winter skills course in 2006 and never looked back; it was without a doubt one of the most important things I did to get me ready for the winter mountains.

However, you should also consider priorities. If I was in your shoes I would probably focus on finding a job.
David Buckett 03 Jan 2014
In reply to lukeap:

If they are nice enough they should realise the issue and try and reschedule.

If they are not nice enough then I would either take it that they want your money or they are confident they can give you a quality course, worth asking them that question.

Alternatively, there is loads of snow in Scotland, I offer ice axe, crampons and helmet included, if you can get to Fort William.
lukeap 07 Jan 2014
Hi everyone.

Many thanks for all your replies and especially to some of you who've offered to help me out with kit and transport. That was really good of you and I'm grateful.
It turns out I can borrow a more than I thought so I should ok.

Many thanks to all of you again.

Luke

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...