UKC

Walking in Spain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nickh1964 30 Jun 2014
where would you suggest for the last week in October, some mountain walking, mainland Spain, accessible by airport ?
 Bob Hughes 30 Jun 2014
In reply to nickh1964:

how will you be travelling from the airport? Rent a car?

Some options:
Barcelona - Cadí-Moixeró Natural Park is 2-3hrs drive from Barcelona airport. Never been there so I don't know what it's like or what the weather will be like at that time of year

Madrid -
Sierra de Guadarrama: is about 1hrs drive from Madrid airport. Some interesting walking. There's a big long ridge walk called the Cuerda Larga which is about 2-days' worth of walking or otherwise plenty of day walks. The highest top is Peñalara at 2,428 metres. The tops tended to be quite rounded. End of October could well be very pleasant. I'd be surprised if you had any snow that early. Lot's of ridge walks and the area of La Pedriza (famous for climbing) has some very nice walking.

Sierra de Gredos:
3 hrs drive from Madrid airport. A bit higher and wilder than the sierra de guadarrama. Sharp, rocky peaks in general. Almanzor is the highest at 2,592 metres.

Sierra Nevada:
accessible from Granada or Malaga airports. High mountains +3000mt. I don't know much about the area for walking to be honest.
 Foolow Mike 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes:

The Sierra Nevada boast mainland Spain,s highest mountains (Mulhacen 3482m) and great walking. The weather is usually good in October but the lower walks in the Alpujarra are great hill walking if the weather high up is poor. There is lots of info about the area on our website and we are always happy to advise whether you use us or not.

Malaga airport is less than 2 hours away by car though you can fly from London City direct to Granada. Mail us if you want more info.

Mike
 lordyosch 26 Aug 2014
I'd second the Sierra de Gredos. Driveable from Madrid or there are ALSA coaches to Arenas de San Pedro which is nearby.

Walked there in SPring a few years back, was lovely. Really peaceful (mostly)

We hadn't seen a soul for 2 days then we got a brew on and 6 British people in 2 groups appeared 'as if by magic'!
 nutme 27 Aug 2014
Sierra Nevada is a good choice in Oct. You can get cheap flight from London with RyanAir to Almería. From where it's just 2h drive to mountains.

In late Oct you are to get +15C at seas level and 0C at 3k altitude with a moderate chance of rain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...