UKC

Birdle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Never heard of birdle until yesterday when speaking to a bird watcher. Might be interest to those interested in birds.

A google shows there are many different versions of birdle including one like Wordle that lots of forum users do daily (eg birdle.app).

However, the birder yesterday uses birdlegames.com daily. A daily photo of a UK bird to guess. Has link to RSPB website for further information of the species if needed.

Might help my IDing of birds; day 1 and got today’s one even though I’ve never seen that species yet myself! 

Also, I saw there is birdle.uk for IDing birds too. It involves a photo also but it starts off out of focus.

McHeath 15 Apr 2024
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> Also, I saw there is birdle.uk for IDing birds too. It involves a photo also but it starts off out of focus.

Well, I started with this one; the bird was very obviously not a UK bird but very yellow, so I typed in "yellow" and got a choice of 5 US birds, none of which I´d ever heard of. I worked my way through the possibilities, all of which were wrong. The answer started with a completely different colour; the bird is found in SE Europe through to Iran and spends the winter mainly in India but also as far East as Japan; vagrants in the UK are very rare. Not much fun to be honest; I´ll try the other sites! But thanks for the tip

Edit: http://www.birdlegames.com/ doesn´t exist!

Post edited at 22:23
In reply to McHeath:

Hadn’t appreciated that that birdle.uk wasn’t just UK birds as the url suggested to me.

> Edit: http://www.birdlegames.com/ doesn´t exist!

Oops, sorry, I added an “s” by mistake. https://www.birdlegame.com/ . This site says it is UK birds.

McHeath 15 Apr 2024

Got it this time in one, thanks!

Post edited at 23:00
 Michael Hood 16 Apr 2024

Previously I've done https://www.birdlegame.com/ for a while (when I used to do wordle, quordle & nurdle as well - and the country outline one whose name I can't remember) but I eventually got bored with it because to my surprise, I found it too easy, always 1s & 2s.

just quordle nowadays - currently on a practice streak of 176

Post edited at 05:19
 Michael Hood 16 Apr 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

> just quordle nowadays - currently on a practice streak of 176

And totally jinxed myself by mentioning that 🤦🤦🤦

In reply to Michael Hood:

It might be short lived then if it is too easy.  I’ll give it a go for a while though as there should be plenty of chance birds will be ones I’ve not seen up in Scotland with my limited sightings so far (🤞). I was maybe too optimistic it would helpful generally.

Just had a go. Thanks, this could be addictive!

toad 18 Apr 2024

don't know what to think. Clicked through. submitted my guess. Got it in one. fluke, or limited choices?

It's a nice idea but I'm not sure how good their algorithm is? The last 3 days have been wood warbler, wood sandpiper and wood pigeon!

In reply to toad:

Assuming you went to the birdlegame site, and not any other, there is only one bird photo ( a bird that is on the UK bird list) given each day to guess the name of. If you got it in one means you got the ID correct in full at your first attempt. 

Sorry I don’t understand your limited choices comment. There will only one answer that is correct (and only one photo a day). If your answer had been incorrect, you would have seen hints as to parts that were correct so you could make another attempt. There is also a show hint button.  You get up to five chances to guess what the bird in the photo is. If you click on the “show rules” it will explain better than me how it works.

Try again tomorrow for the next bird photo. As Michael Hood pointed out above, he found it easy, and so far that has been my thoughts to (especially today’s one!!). Still, there are plenty of UK birds I won’t know and I’ll use that to learn to expand my knowledge.

In reply to Friseal Ó hAodha:

Coincidence 🫣! Time will tell, but it doesn’t seem to have been designed as a too serious challenge anyway. That said, having never seen a Wood Sandpiper myself it made me have to study the photo to work it out.

Post edited at 14:42
 Michael Hood 18 Apr 2024

Even the ones I didn't know I'm usually down to 2 or 3 possibilities - like the wood sandpiper I'm thinking that or Greenshank but plumping for the sandpiper because the feathers look a bit variagated.

There are some where I effectively gave up, rare warblers that are basically little brown birds, becomes a complete guessing game (and which names can you remember without looking in a guide) rather than skill when that happens.

And yet I still often get it wrong with BC's photos.

Post edited at 19:24
 toad 18 Apr 2024

yes, maybe easy is a better description. It was very obvious!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...