UKC

BMC Fruit and Veg Box

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 itsThere 22 Sep 2023

Anyone else got an email from the BMC for a discounted fruit and veg box? I wish this was a joke.

ianstevens 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

It's called marketing. They're almost certainly getting paid in some way or another.

Lankyman 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

> Anyone else got an email from the BMC for a discounted fruit and veg box? I wish this was a joke.

British Marrow Company?

Hooo 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

Yep. I don't recall spam being something I agreed to when I joined the BMC.

profitofdoom 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> British Marrow Company?

Buy My Cr*p

In reply to itsThere:

If anyone at the BMC is reading this, please, please, stop making stupid choices soon. Please.

OP itsThere 22 Sep 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

Looking to make your grocery shop sustainable?

Save 50% off your first Abel & Cole Fruit and Veg Box and 40% off your second and third Abel & Cole Fruit & Veg Boxes with exclusive offer code: MOUNTAIN

In February of this year, the BMC committed to becoming a net-zero organisation by 2040. Dr. Catherine Flitcroft, Campaigns and Policy Manager at the BMC, said, "The power of the BMC and our members is that we can - and will continue to - demonstrate climate leadership by taking responsibility for our footprint and stepping up in the face of the threats posed by climate change."

What a load of shit, and a piss poor use of time. I expect the meetings to agree this cost more.

VPN next?

ianstevens 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

Yeah thanks, I can actually read my own emails.

Rob Parsons 22 Sep 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

> Yeah thanks, I can actually read my own emails.

You received that offer, even though you live abroad? Weird.

mondite 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

Yes.

Its a bit unfortunate misusing the climate change message to try and get a kick back on some subscriptions.

Message Removed 22 Sep 2023
Reason: Please refrain from attacking individual members of staff
 ianstevens 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I still come back to the UK sometimes, am still in the climbers club, and hence am still affiliated with the BMC. So yes, I get the emails.

David Lanceley 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

What a load of nonsense.  Words almost fail me.  What next?  Funeral Plans?  Timeshares?  Readers Digest? A good example of how dysfunctional and out of touch with the membership the BMC has become.

Rob Parsons 22 Sep 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

> I still come back to the UK sometimes, am still in the climbers club, and hence am still affiliated with the BMC.

Nothing wrong with any of that. But I assume in that case that you must be registered at the BMC with an English (sic) address. Right? Whose is it?

(Disclaimer: I'm a member of the BMC; I currently live in Scotland; I didn't receive that email - nor do I want to receive it.)

spenser 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

The BMC will have doubtless been given some money in return for this.

Whether or not the BMC should be using our data in this way is a different matter (i.e. not without a bit of discussion with members first to see how this would go down).

It's an ill judged idea that has now started the usual "kick the BMC" sentiment off and possibly lost a few members (based on a discussion on the CC Facebook page last night), likely without gaining it very much money, or having much impact on anyone's carbon footprint.

Andy Clarke 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Hooo:

> Yep. I don't recall spam being something I agreed to when I joined the BMC.

If they're including Spam they're really confused about what should go in a fruit and veg box. Can't seem to get anything right.

john arran 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

Did the email contain any kind of tickbox or link to ensure similar third-party marketing emails aren't received in future?

If it did, then I can't really see a problem This is just another very common avenue to raise funds, which can be opted out of by anyone and everyone who chooses.

If it didn't, then I agree that it's a terrible idea, not least because people who object to receiving such offers will start to see BMC emails as spam.

johncook 22 Sep 2023
In reply to spenser:

Wasn't there some fuss in the past about the BMC being unable to e-mail the members information because of some EU directive on use of personal data?

Now it seems they are in the business of selling it? Or are they involved with this expensive food company out of the kindness of their hearts?

I wish I could get decent insurance cover elsewhere. 

john arran 22 Sep 2023
In reply to johncook:

> Now it seems they are in the business of selling it? Or are they involved with this expensive food company out of the kindness of their hearts?

Iff the email came from the BMC and not from the third party, then the BMC hasn't sold any member information. It's just sold the option for an offer to be sent to its members.

OP itsThere 22 Sep 2023
In reply to john arran:

There is an option but it's not something I would expect to have to opt out of with a BMC membership.

I doubt they shared much information just sent out a mass email.

spenser 22 Sep 2023
In reply to john arran:

It's from the BMC Newsletters email address rather than Abel and Co directly.

The BMC has previously been hyper cautious about GDPR to the point of it being an obstacle for communication on committees and for area meetings which is what I think John Cook was citing in terms of the EU Regulation.

Ian W 22 Sep 2023
In reply to johncook:

> Wasn't there some fuss in the past about the BMC being unable to e-mail the members information because of some EU directive on use of personal data?

> Now it seems they are in the business of selling it? Or are they involved with this expensive food company out of the kindness of their hearts?

> I wish I could get decent insurance cover elsewhere. 

It's a simple choice; there is concern over the BMC's finances / reserves. If they need to increase income, they could increase subs (£3 per member = approx £240k pa) or they can try to mitigate / obviate the need for the increase by earning some commission on sales to members.

If you don't like the emails, junk them or just hit delete.

In reply to itsThere:

Other than sending an email to advertise a new discount for members, how is this any different to any of the other discounts that BMC membership gives access to? There’s a few on the list that aren’t climbing/walking related which never seem to have caused any concern. 

Tyler 22 Sep 2023
In reply to spenser:

>  possibly lost a few members (based on a discussion on the CC Facebook page last night), likely without gaining it very much money, or having much impact on anyone's carbon footprint.

How many times can those people leave?

spenser 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Tyler:

I am not sure what you are getting at? There were people asking if it was time to consider the club disaffiliating last night and other people stating they were happy they had already cancelled individual membership previously as they disagreed with it.

UKB Shark 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Tyler:

> How many times can those people leave?

🤣 - you can check out any time you want but never leave 🎶

I’m trying hard to confect some outrage for this but it’s not really happening. 

On one hand it’s a decent discount for three boxes of home delivered veg boxes if you want to take advantage of it but OTOH it does further strengthen the impression that the BMC is focussing on things that are a bit too far removed from its raison d’etre.  

Garethza 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

Here is me thinking I was the only one who found this quite hilarious that the BMC is now selling off their email marketing database.. but low and behold the thread already existed!

timjones 22 Sep 2023
In reply to mondite:

> Yes.

> Its a bit unfortunate misusing the climate change message to try and get a kick back on some subscriptions.

It's hard to see how having your fruit and veg delivered at an inflated price is any better for the environment than buying from your local shops as part of your regular food shop.

Lhod 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

I'm in the camp of being disappointed with recent actions and communication from the BMC but have to say I don't think this one is a big deal.

Sure they could have other priorities, but I doubt it's one of the board members sending these emails, just a marketing person who has seen an opportunity for a bit of extra (much needed?) revenue and a harmless option for members to get a discount on a veg box, which they might like or can choose to ignore. As others have said it doesn't look like any data is compromised.

Maybe if the spamming continues and/or is less well directed (e.g. 'Get our exclusive cashback deal on your new SUV!') then it would become a problem. 

ianstevens 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Nothing wrong with any of that. But I assume in that case that you must be registered at the BMC with an English (sic) address. Right? Whose is it?

Correct - it's a family member. Much easier way of doing things.

> (Disclaimer: I'm a member of the BMC; I currently live in Scotland; I didn't receive that email - nor do I want to receive it.)

OP itsThere 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Lhod:

It's not a big deal, but does say much more about the type of organisation or which way it's going.

Lhod 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

Perhaps, but I think there's a risk that when the BMC are criticised for things like this, it makes it easy for them to paint a picture of a handful of disgruntled and vocal members who can/will complain about anything and should just be ignored, which then detracts from the (IMO) fair and serious criticisms of governance and financial management. 

toad 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

So what's the difference between this and 10% off in cotswold?

There's an awful lot wrong with the bmc, but really? Artifical vegetables are the hill you're going to die on?

toad 22 Sep 2023
In reply to toad:

Not artificial, obviously. God knows what it thought I was typing!

Offwidth 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

I'm sure Jim will, be delighted and he knows his onions

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ukc/bmc_release_company_update_video-7632...

>"Surely, money is money and any chance to generate it should be applauded. Selling the BMC's services and increasing membership should of been the primary goal for that position. Not hindered by some "sales prevention officer" sat at a desk in Manchester"

Andy Say 22 Sep 2023
In reply to johncook:

There was a problem a few years ago when some BMC Area Secretaries asked if we could have a mailing list for members in our areas so that we could try to entice bigger attendances. 

GDPR apparently precluded that.

I, along with folks in a few other areas, asked people attending meetings if they would mind very much giving me their email address - as a personal favour - and garnered an area email list of 100 or so.

Jim Hamilton 22 Sep 2023
In reply to toad:

> So what's the difference between this and 10% off in cotswold?

A load of "sustainability" spin. 

bouldery bits 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

Cotswold sell mountaineering kit and the vegetable people sell.... err.... vegetables.

I also don't get an email from the BMC suggesting I go to Cotswold. And yet, I do get one suggesting I order veg? 

It's a bit odd really. 

kevin stephens 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere: The BMC offering me vegetables is reminiscent of Baldric offering me a turnip, what a cunning plan

pencilled in 22 Sep 2023
In reply to itsThere:

If there’s not enough income to cover forecast outgoings then they need some income from somewhere. Ok so it’s a bit Caravan Club, but until such time as outgoings can be addressed, the shortfall needs to come from somewhere. 
I’d go as far as suggesting it’s not the worst idea to support the odd call for extra cash, here and there. 

profitofdoom 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> If they're including Spam they're really confused about what should go in a fruit and veg box. Can't seem to get anything right.

But no. Spam is one of my 5-a-day (along with chips, hash browns, fried bread, and doughnuts)

John Booth 25 Sep 2023

At the recent AGM the chair mentioned a super secret sponsor that would make Ratho overspend look like an investment. I’m telling you ‘top end - cut price veg’ will fund the Olympic dream.

No need to worry about Unit E, safeguarding, competition selection / injuries, the bothersome issue of finances or that the SLT have walked. 

As a member I want to see a carbon negative BMC (and not just sequestered and bycicle frames), the future is bright, I will take my cut price veg and be happy. 

ExiledScot 25 Sep 2023
In reply to profitofdoom:

Spam fritters or bacon grill, perfect climbing club hut food. Add in a veg box and you've got a balanced meal! Granted you might have no crag access or transport to your climbing comp, but at least the bmc keeps you fed. 

Post edited at 19:51
 Rob Parsons 25 Sep 2023
In reply to John Booth:

> No need to worry about Unit E, safeguarding, competition selection / injuries, the bothersome issue of finances or that the SLT have walked. 

No idea what 'Unit E' means - but I like it! Send me two boxes. Plus a sack of spuds.

BAdhoc 27 Sep 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

Correct, they will be paid a commission every time the discount code is used. This value is set by the retailer and usually around a couple of quid. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...