UKC

Cheap wireless/Bluetooth headphone recommendation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 owlart 26 Sep 2023

Can anyone recommend some cheap wireless/Bluetooth headphones? It's just so I can listen to a YouTube video/podcast etc. on the PC and wander through to the kitchen/bathroom whilst still listening instead of pausing each time. I live in a small flat, so nothing is more than about 8-10m away at most.

I did try some very cheap Bluetooth headphones from eBay but they only have a range of about 3m (less if you're facing away from the Bluetooth dongle!) so I can't even sit on the sofa and listen!

I'm not looking for anything fancy or high quality, just a reasonable range that won't dent my wallet.

Thanks.

Post edited at 11:59
 timjones 26 Sep 2023
In reply to owlart:

Are you only looking for headphones or would earphones be OK?

I've got a pair of these and they have an impressive range for something so small.

https://amzn.eu/d/j67QWFh

OP owlart 26 Sep 2023
In reply to timjones:

Thanks. I'd prefer headphones as I usually find in-ear devices to be uncomfortable.

DamonRoberts 26 Sep 2023
In reply to owlart:

I have a fancy pair of Sennheiser over ear headphones (Momentum 3) and I'm not sure they would manage 10m, but it depends on the source as well as the headset. They do better connected to my phone than my work laptop. Is the dongle attached at the front or back of the PC? If the back, moving to face more into the room may help too.

As a decent, fairly entry level over ear option you'd be hard pressed to beat the Sony WH-CH520's at around £40-£50. They have some nice touches, like connecting to two devices at once, and claim a range of 10m with line of sight. There is a cheaper model, the CH510 but they apparently have issues around a sound passthrough feature. 

Post edited at 13:41
 Durbs 26 Sep 2023
In reply to owlart:

Can you define "cheap"? On the super-low end, you're firmly in "buy cheap, buy twice" territory.

A bit more money gets you better battery, as well as comfort/sound - possibly one of those rare purchases where spending a little bit more is actually justified.

Any preference on over-ear vs. on-ear? Any need for a microphone?

Toby_W 26 Sep 2023
In reply to owlart:

Look at the ear fun ones on amazon.  Very good.  Won awards and sounds a good match for what you want.

Cheers

Toby

Seymore Butt 26 Sep 2023
In reply to owlart:

I have a pair of oneodio A70. Selling on Amazon for appx £30. Like mine very much.

Jamie Wakeham 26 Sep 2023
In reply to owlart:

My Jabra 65 set uses a USB dongle in my PC, and stays perfectly connected even when I go to my front door, which is 10m away horizontally and on a different floor.  I regularly continue a conversation with a tutee all the way through going downstairs to collect a parcel and back up again!  Fairly cheap used at CEX.

Arcturus 26 Sep 2023
In reply to owlart:

Another tick for the wh ch 500 series Sony. I’ve been using a pair for years and given them a fairly good bashing in the gym and on the hill and they still sound great.

OP owlart 27 Sep 2023
In reply to owlart:

Thanks for the recommendations. Plenty to look at and maybe try to save up for too. I'll report back when I do plump for a pair.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...