UKC

Galloping Heart Beat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Odd Sock 20 Sep 2023

I have tried to Google, but no clear answers as to what is, causes, treatment or effects for a galloping heart beat.

I seem to have developed on in the last 2 years, should I be worried? Still waiting to see my doctor as was picked up on a recent medical.

Post edited at 18:31
 Michael Hood 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Odd Sock:

Firstly, you don't really say what you mean by "galloping heart beat" - better description of symptoms and context required.

Secondly, we have a problem on this website with bots and lurkers starting with innocuous questions but veering off into QAnon conspiracy theories, and since you only registered this account recently, don't be surprised if you get "accused" type posts - best to post some things about yourself (can be in relation to the OP of course) that gives everyone confidence that you're a real person.

OP Odd Sock 20 Sep 2023

Hi Michael,

Sometimes it's good to have a second profile, medical being one reason. I also usually have a 2nd profile on social media sites for copyright issues on my photos, often the first thing someone does is block you if you question the usage of you image, a second profile means you can still see what is going on, and if needs be still message them. Feel free to drop me a message if you want to know who I am, but prefer my employer, health insurance company, travel insurance, etc not to know at the moment.

Galloping heart beat is not something I've heard about before, was fine 2 years ago at a medical, but it seems to be an extra sound heard through a stethoscope, so no symptoms or side effects for me.

Just want to find out more as what is online is a bit vague on all accounts.

In reply to Odd Sock:

I guess the problem with the name is that it uses a very commonly-used word (meaning 'running fast') for a specific medical cardio issue, apparently due to the distinctive sound it makes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallop_rhythm

Ciro 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Odd Sock:

My Google research says it can be harmless in young athletes and pregnant women, but otherwise can be an indicator of heart disease.

So unless you're a young athlete or a pregnant woman I would speak to a doctor.

OP Odd Sock 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Ciro:

Neither of the above and is also what I'd seen too. I have 3 months to find out through my doctor or I won't be able to work. Usual trouble is when phoning up the surgery at 08.00 you end up in a queue, no appointments, try again tomorrow.

Trying to stay calm, but I also think it's not something you just get a pill for. There will be some research into what the cause is in the first place.

Michael Hood 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Odd Sock:

Thought it might be a second "medical" account - just thought I'd get the "warning" message in first because there's been some over-enthusiastic pile-ons recently.

First thought - is it constant or only happens sometimes.

Constant - not necessarily better but at least you can "easily" get an ECG & echo-cardiogram etc that will either show an issue or confirm that there's no issue and that's just how you're built (i.e. you may not be "normal" - outliers in any distribution).

Only happens sometimes - can be a bitch to get a decent record of it happening. I had similar with an arrhythmia, but eventually caught it no problem using a Kardia monitor leant to me by the NHS (https://store.alivecor.co.uk/) - although after several months I'm still waiting for the appointment where they tell me what kind of arrhythmia because I'm pretty sure it's not the AF that was initially diagnosed years ago.

You say no awareness or symptoms - so it's just something that's been heard by a Dr at a medical. Do you actually know that it's developed, rather than just not being detected at previous medicals.

Why will it stop you working - presumably your job has a physical component that requires you to regularly pass a standard medical.

Have your surgery not got online "Ask my GP" available - that allows you to ask questions or initiate things which may result in your Dr asking you to come in.

Post edited at 20:50
 mik82 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Odd Sock:

> Neither of the above and is also what I'd seen too. I have 3 months to find out through my doctor or I won't be able to work. Usual trouble is when phoning up the surgery at 08.00 you end up in a queue, no appointments, try again tomorrow. 

Have you considered trying to book a private cardiology appointment directly with the medical findings?   I'm surprised whoever has done this medical hasn't got an avenue to do this. 

paulguy 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Odd Sock:I'm not a medical professional but might be worth googling atrial fibrillation if you've not already?

OP Odd Sock 20 Sep 2023

Cheers Michael, and do know where you're coming from with spam accounts.

For me it is a bolt out the blue, no prior and have had a medical annually up to 2 years ago due to work, managed to drop one role which means it is now only every 2 years. I did have a medical at my own doctors a month ago, but just blood pressure, blood samples and urine, no issues found.

So a month later for the works doctor to find a galloping heart beat a bit concerning. I have not been stopped working, but do have a time frame to find out why.

My work is seen as physical and also in a remote location, so immediate medical aid is not possible, that would be my issue long term. Physically I don't see any problems myself, climbing and walking as good as I ever have.

OP Odd Sock 20 Sep 2023
In reply to paulguy:

Thank you, now reading.

JimR 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Odd Sock:

It might be an idea to tell your surgery you have been suffering chest pains. They usually haul you in pretty quickly and do an ECG then. I know a couple of guys in my running club with atrial fibrilliation (mainly high mileage older guys) and the cardiac consultant I saw several years ago said about half his patients were endurance athletes. I suspect he was exaggerating  but it still says something. Definitely get it checked out even if you've got to pay for a private consult with a cardiac consultant. I'd go armed with a weeks history of blood pressure (at rest for 5 mins). Good luck, I know how tricky it is to get seen in the NHS with non-lifethreatening conditions!

Michael Hood 20 Sep 2023
In reply to JimR:

Apparently, AF is more common in runners than the general population - those that do a fair bit of running or have done it for yonks, but it occurs even more often in serious cyclists.

I don't know if this is also the case for the other types of arrhythmia - which I only found out about when I started to suspect that mine wasn't AF - there are quite a few out there.

"suffering chest pains" - surely the surgery will tell you to go straight to A&E, do not pass go, do not collect £200, etc.

And it doesn't quite sound like the "galloping heart beat" is one of "those" arrhythmias - with a stethoscope, any Dr would be able to easily realise that an arrhythmia was in progress, even if they couldn't identify which one.

In reply to Odd Sock:

You could try and get an app to monitor your heart,  cardiosignal or something like that is one option.  I started suffering from AF in my early 40s and ended up having cryo-ablation about 6 years ago which fixed it (cheers NHS Wales). I'm a very active mountain biker and was also doing a fair bit of fell running so pretty fit overall and my AF very rarely came on during exercise but more so when resting.  

Michael Hood 20 Sep 2023
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

> my AF very rarely came on during exercise but more so when resting.  

Just wondering, did it used to happen more often after exercise or when "slowing down" from exercise?

If/when I get to the point of considering ablation, I think I'll start a thread asking about people's experiences.

In reply to Odd Sock:

Often when sleeping and as it progressed, when resting after exercise  - an hour or so later maybe but there was no definite pattern. 

LastBoyScout 21 Sep 2023
In reply to Odd Sock:

Have you been feeling a little horse lately?

In reply to Odd Sock:

> I have tried to Google, but no clear answers as to what is, causes, treatment or effects for a galloping heart beat.

> I seem to have developed on in the last 2 years, should I be worried? Still waiting to see my doctor as was picked up on a recent medical.

Given the heart related nature, and your struggle to get an appointment, is it worth just going to the hospital and waiting to be seen.

CantClimbTom 21 Sep 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Normally I'd be chomping at the bit with horse puns But given OP may feel a bit concerned - being reassured that something probably is nothing is surprisingly not reassuring. Maybe we should hold back on the puns on this thread?

Post edited at 10:53
 Rob Parsons 21 Sep 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Maybe we should hold back on the puns on this thread?

Neigh!

JimR 21 Sep 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Are you trying to stirrup trouble? Please rein it in!

Dave Garnett 21 Sep 2023
In reply to Odd Sock:

Even if UKC were a forum for climbing cardiologists I think relying on it medical advice would be unwise - especially if relates to heart sounds we can’t hear or ECGs we can’t see!

OP Odd Sock 21 Sep 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Even if UKC were a forum for climbing cardiologists I think relying on it medical advice would be unwise - especially if relates to heart sounds we can’t hear or ECGs we can’t see!

I totally agree, but I often find it does cover a huge cross section of society and in the main helpful replies. Not after a diagnosis, more an understanding of what was dropped on me.

As for puns, at least no one has tried to flog a dead horse yet and I'm not chomping at the bit to see my doctor, good job really as they have no appointments.

donrobson 25 Sep 2023
In reply to Odd Sock:

Hi - You may also want to research gallop rhythm heart sounds.  With a stethoscope you can sometimes pick up extra sounds, some are normal others less so.  Again seek medical advice, as a retired GP I would feel if any doubt then cardiologist and echocardiogram.

Good luck

Maggot 25 Sep 2023
In reply to Odd Sock:

Have you tried ringing 111 yet?

I had abdominal aches and pains for a couple of weeks end of March early April 2020. After discussing symptoms with about 4 people and 4 phone calls, I was told to wait outside A&E at 22:30 and wait to be called in, on time as it happens 🙂 Perforated appendix is what it was.

mike reed 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Odd Sock:

Hi. From personal experience….
Caffeine. 
Do you drink a lot of coffee? Cut back on this. 
Also red wine and dark chocolate and sport drinks (like red bull) can have serious effects on heart rhythms. 

Coffee/caffeine is key. 
Look at your intake and general diet before worrying too much. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...