UKC

Goshawk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 16 Mar 2024

No picture unfortunately, but saw a fleeting glimpse of a male goshawk in a wooded area of the lakes today. It was calling too, and on a you tube playback it was definetely one.

Chuffed

Bottom Clinger 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Brilliant. I’ve only ever seen two, long distance jobbies, ID’d by my brother who is an expert on Goshawks. This avo, this beauty landed on neighbours roof, female sprawk…

OP Dave the Rave 16 Mar 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

A classy bird is that

Michael Hood 16 Mar 2024

Nice one, still on my "yet to see" list.

BusyLizzie 17 Mar 2024

As usual the best one sees in the Chilterns is red kites, but I was charmed to hear an owl on my run this morning ing, at about 0930. Perhaps he was confused, or hung over.

Michael Hood 17 Mar 2024
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> As usual the best one sees in the Chilterns is red kites,

You make that seem like a downer - although that may be nowhere near your intent - you are blessed with frequent close views of one of the most spectacular birds to grace these shores.

Not having a go at you here, but general point - it's so easy to stop appreciating the everyday, etc. I sometimes remind myself, how much would we go on about the fantastic plumage on a magpie, or a mallard, if we only saw them once or twice a year.

Post edited at 12:52
OP Dave the Rave 17 Mar 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

Good luck. It was very brief and fortunate sighting. 

BusyLizzie 18 Mar 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

Yes you are right! They are indeed spectacular, and doing amazingly well here.

aln 18 Mar 2024

A couple of times in the last few weeks I've seen what seem to be Red Kites, a few miles south of Aviemore. Do they go that far north in Scotland? 

mondite 18 Mar 2024
In reply to aln:

> A couple of times in the last few weeks I've seen what seem to be Red Kites, a few miles south of Aviemore.

Was slightly further north a couple of weeks back and a local said there is at least one pair in the area although they didnt make an appearance whilst I was there.

I do have concerns for their continued good health though but I guess if they stay off the grouse moors.

mondite 18 Mar 2024

I think I saw one once in oxfordshire. What stood out was how utterly silent the wood was. No birds singing or alarm calling just ducking for cover.

Michael Hood 18 Mar 2024
In reply to mondite:

Loads in Oxfordshire, spreading out (with the population growth) from the initial reintroduction in the High Wycombe area.

Bottom Clinger 19 Mar 2024
In reply to aln:

I saw my first ever red like just south of Aviemore 35 years ago. IIRC, they had recently been released around the Black Isle and this one may have wondered south. They do seem to be very slow at colonising new areas.  For example, you can see huge numbers circling above the M40 at The Chilterns, but as you head north they very quickly disappear, and I’d have thought they’d have spread much further north given the length of time they have been established. 

JCurrie 19 Mar 2024
In reply to aln:

There are red kites on Deeside, often seen around Peterculter and Drumoak area. I’ve occasionally seen them from my back garden. There are also kites on the Black Isle. 

mondite 19 Mar 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> I saw my first ever red like just south of Aviemore 35 years ago. IIRC, they had recently been released around the Black Isle and this one may have wondered south. They do seem to be very slow at colonising new areas. 

Living east of the Chilterns they were pretty rapid spreading this direction although they do seem to build up to a critical mass in an area before spreading further. At least in any real numbers.

Remember being stunned by seeing one in about 2006 and now its a case of its a rare day not seeing several (often just out of the office window) unless the weathers crap (ok so not rare right now).

There are some areas which seem a black spot for them though where the expansion just seems to halt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...