UKC

Spotted redshank (again)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 24 Feb 2024

Previous thread's been archived, so can't reply...

Finally spotted a Spotted Redshank - sorry no photos - still haven't sorted out Smart Phone scoping - nearly there (hmm)

At Burton Mere (Wirral) yesterday; was told there were 6 or so visible from the far hide but when I got round there they were not, even after having a good scan of the several hundred Black Tailed Godwits - starting to take on summer colour (others who scanned as well came up negative). Several Redshank of course, plenty of Avocets, Dunlin and a few Ruff.

Walking back looked through one of the screens at a different pool, 2 waders "asleep", half looking into the light, but could see a tiny bit of red leg above the water, paler/greyer than the redshanks had looked, a white stripe above the eye, and when they untucked, the bill had a weeny bit of down-curve at the tip - Spotted Redshank I thought, confirmed by someone else having a good look.

And earlier that day finally got to see a ring-tail Hen Harrier (that white rump is so visible) up the road at Parkgate as well as Marsh Harrier, Little & Great White Egrets and the mass of Pink-foots.

A good day finished off by picking up my replacement bins from Hawke - "originals" had a slight collimation issue but replaced with no fuss.

In reply to Michael Hood:

Excellent re the spotted. A nice list of sightings for your day out also.

I would like to see Ruff again - only seen two together once and both were in plainer autumn colours.

Been quiet, couldn’t find that Spotted Redshank again though a Green was still around, or most likely I’ve been to the wrong places!

My prize for patience not seeing much though was a first sighting of some 8 Hawfinches! Smaller overall than I was expecting, but the massive beaks were easily seen and they have a nice song rather like Robins in some ways. Were very elusive and stayed high up the tree tops and moving on when spotted. It was their flitting movement that gave them away though otherwise I would have missed them as they were really high up in the trees. I can understand why they can’t easily be seen when the leaves come back on the trees. Managed to get some photos fortunately.

Also, saw an all black Blackbird (black beak and black eye ring). No idea if it is really unusual or as a quick web search suggested could be a young European visitor of 1 yr or less where they don’t have the beak and eye ring colour at a young age. Still to process a photo.

Song Thrushes were out today, but otherwise as I said quiet.

OP Michael Hood 24 Feb 2024
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

That's brilliant of the Hawfinches - I've never seen them but they're on my "want to see list"

Ruffs weren't in breeding plumage yet, but they didn't all have the same colour legs (green & red)

Avocets at Burton Mere - 1st arrived back on the 11th, they're up to the 20s now but expecting something like 80 at the peak! One of the birds that is a real success story.

From what I’ve read Hawfinches are only now in quite localised populations in the UK though boosted in numbers by some migrants in winter to be seen in more locations. Up here, I’m informed that in and around Scone Palace, near Perth, they are reliable visitors between Jan and March or so if you are ever planning a trip nearby anyway. Also, some in the borders of Scotland but no idea where.

A birder was telling me that a Great White Egret is currently up at Montrose; I missed the one more local last year that had been about for months, but left just before I heard about it!! Also, a Bittern is at Monikie which is unusual for this area. Not sure the chance I would have of seeing either or both of them if I did a trip.

OP Michael Hood 24 Feb 2024

The Dee estuary (Burton Mere & Parkgate on the English side) - you're virtually falling over Great White Egrets and apparently there's a few pairs breeding there. They're hoping to get a Spoonbill nesting there - they visit but get attracted to where all the herons & egrets roost and then get disturbed.

Bottom Clinger 25 Feb 2024

Grwat stuff and great day to be out. I bibbednoutbto Hesketh Marsh area, first day in weeks that I’ve actually not felt very ill. 3 spot redshank, 3 merlins, great egret, golden plover coming into summer plumage. Highlight was 88 twite - probably a record for that patch. Feeding close in, lively to watch.  

Great views of hawfinch there!  They are indeed very localised. I’ve still never seen one. 

OP Michael Hood 25 Feb 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Were the Twite on that bit between Hesketh and Marshside (Bank)?

Can't remember exactly what someone told me, but they've been seen close in on the fence/gate there, I think someone might put some seeds there or some other twit food.

The twite where right at that gate area (near that small shed/hide), feeding amongst the detritus that’s been washed in by recent very high tides. Bloke goes there nearly everyday, most he’s ever seen is 50. 

Bottom Clinger 27 Feb 2024

Just as the only cloud of the day rolled in, so did this spotted redshank, giving great views. Saturday at Hesketh. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...