UKC

Sycamore Gap Tree

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyb211 28 Sep 2023
In reply to andyb211:

Maybe Sheffield Council; they seem to like felling trees...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jun/20/sheffield-council-issues-ap...

But I guess it is the work of some nutcase, so who knows what crazed motivation they had.

donrobson 28 Sep 2023
In reply to andyb211:

Have China deported the "builders" who knocked a hole through the Great Wall?

deepsoup 28 Sep 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

> But I guess it is the work of some nutcase, so who knows what crazed motivation they had.

Probably a different nutcase, but I don't know whether this similarly mind-boggling dickhead was ever caught: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/21/surrey-tree-cutter-resident...

65 28 Sep 2023
In reply to andyb211:

I just saw this on a friend's FB feed. I'll copy and paste my response:

I find it difficult to believe the tree wasn't designated, plus it's been felled over and has indeed landed on or over the wall itself. Assuming there was permission to fell the tree, there would have to be Scheduled Monument Consent from Historic England (who you don't want to f**k with) to allow this operation to occur so near the wall, and it's almost inconceivable that they would sign off a method statement that said the tree was going to fall on the wall. Even if the tree isn't legally protected, it almost certainly stands within the Scheduled Area so any unauthorised work like this with the potential to impact the wall would absolutely be a criminal offence.

Can someone give me a grid ref for the tree? I can probably find out if this is a kosher operation. (By kosher I mean legally, morally it almost certainly isn't).

Note, I work in heritage but in Scotland. England has slightly different laws and it's a while since I worked there so I may not be not up to speed, hence some of my terminology might not be correct.

Calling Welsh Kate or Bouldery Bits for input.

Post edited at 15:41
 deepsoup 28 Sep 2023
In reply to 65:

> Assuming there was permission to fell the tree

Obviously there was not.

65 28 Sep 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Yes, I hadn't read the article when I posted. I'd also wondered if there was a reason the tree was felled across the wall (overhead lines or something on the away side) but the pre-felling photos make it clear there isn't.

bouldery bits 28 Sep 2023
In reply to 65:

The tree is definitely within the area of a scheduled monument. Work of any nature in this area will require sign off from Historic England (and likely NT here aswell).

It seems the police have made some enquiries and found someone of interest. I am utterly perplexed as to what the motivation could be. 

Post edited at 22:20
 profitofdoom 28 Sep 2023
In reply to bouldery bits:

> ..... I am utterly perplexed as to what the motivation could be. 

Me too, but just to note that people have attacked the Mona Lisa and other famous paintings and sculptures, intent on destroying them. A different target, I know, but equally perplexing to me at least

Apologies if this looks like a thread hijack 

matt1984 28 Sep 2023
In reply to andyb211:

I’m in Northumberland and have heard a rumour this evening (that I won’t repeat) that would offer a warped motive. 

I expect if it’s correct it’ll come out fast.

Post edited at 23:42
 veteye 29 Sep 2023
In reply to matt1984:

The police have arrested a 16 year old lad, I believe, for criminal damage.

matt1984 29 Sep 2023
In reply to veteye:

Indeed and now I've had the same rumour from two unconnected people. Whether it's true or not, there's definitely a consistent story making it's way around the area.

Rob Parsons 29 Sep 2023
In reply to matt1984:

> Indeed and now I've had the same rumour from two unconnected people. Whether it's true or not, there's definitely a consistent story making it's way around the area.

If you're not going to tell us what the 'rumour' is, there isn't much point repeating that you keep hearing it.

RedFive 29 Sep 2023
In reply to matt1984:

What is the rumour? No names or whatever but would help me deal with this if I knew why, or at least potentially why it happened. 

I’m a Northumbrian and have climbed many times at Crag Lough. Was upsetting to see this happen. 

matt1984 29 Sep 2023
In reply to RedFive:

I understand how you must feel, it was such an important place. It's incredibly hard to deal with.

As Rob above rightly suggests though, I probably shouldn't have said anything if I wasn't going to properly elaborate, so essentially what I've heard is that the young lad has done it on behalf of someone else, with that person having an issue with the NT. 

Like you say, I'm choosing to entertain the rumour I've been told rather than it being some disgusting tiktok-style prank/dare, as at least there's some (warped) logic behind it.

Maybe it's total BS, it'll come out eventually, but even a possible 'why' feels useful today.

An absolute shite end to the week for anyone with a connection to Northumberland.

RedFive 29 Sep 2023
In reply to matt1984:

Thank you. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...