UKC

Warranties and servicing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciro 04 Oct 2023

Is it legal to insist that you must have an appliance serviced by the manufacturer rather than a third party to maintain a warranty in the UK? (In this case a heat pump)

I have a feeling it shouldn't be, but I'm struggling to phrase a Google search in a way that doesn't just tell me about car dealers.

Post edited at 19:08
In reply to Ciro:

It won't get them out of the sale of goods act, which means it should be fit for purpose if maintained properly, but it may void the warranty if it's worded that way.  They could try to argue the independent firm hasn't serviced it properly and it's the service provider that's at fault. I would guess, but not sure, that the onus would then be on you to show it was a manufacturing or design issue, not a wear and tear issue. Whereas if it's under warranty they would have to prove it's not within the warranty. (I'm not an expert on consumer law, but this is my understanding - maybe someone more expert will add to this or correct any misunderstandings)

As an aside in an area I know more about...

That's the main reason wind turbines are serviced by the OEM until the warranty runs out....   (then either a full service agreement is taken out with the OEM maintenance division, a 3rd party, or in house maintenance is carried out.)

In reply to Ciro:

P.S. A seller cannot "caveat away" their legal responsibilities, but as far as I'm aware a warranty is contractual between you and the seller, hence their Ts&Cs are final (for the warranty). You still have stat rights. (By stat rights are often a PITA to enforce...)

Post edited at 19:16
 wintertree 04 Oct 2023
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

Thread hijack:

> As an aside in an area I know more about...

Some of the big turbines out our way rotate their blade tips 90° from the main wing when they’re deactivated.  Can you explain what that’s all about?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...