UKC

Photoshop request

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 24 Sep 2023

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/cgwap6lz4vguwkif4wr85/IMG_4980.jpeg?rlkey=hy...

Would anyone be willing to fix the sun on this photo?  I took it yesterday from Pavy Ark using the pano setting on my Iphone but the brightness changes as the camera panned past the sun.

I'd be happy to send a few pounds to either a paypal or mountain rescue account for your efforts.

Many thanks for any help.

mrphilipoldham 24 Sep 2023
In reply to ablackett:

What would you like.. the sun mirroring or removing entirely? 

Mike-W-99 24 Sep 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Beyond me although I'd love to see if someone could resurrect it. I'd crop just to the right of the sun and straighten the horizon a bit (quite common from iPhone panoramas)

wintertree 24 Sep 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Looks like an amazing set of conditions.  Hopefully someone else can do better.

I tried loading the image and saying "Enhance, Enhance, Enhance" to the computer.  Results below.

Edit: hopefully someone else can do better!

Post edited at 15:41

OP ablackett 24 Sep 2023
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I was thinking with the sun mirrored, and somehow fixing the vertical line where the sky is over exposed to the left of the sun.

Many thanks for whatever you can do.

OP ablackett 24 Sep 2023
In reply to wintertree:

That's very kind of you Wintertree - your breath of talents never ceases to amaze me.

wintertree 24 Sep 2023
In reply to ablackett:

> That's very kind of you Wintertree - your breath of talents never ceases to amaze me.

I see my dyslexia is rubbing off on other forum users.  

I hope you appreciate how the shadow is correctly aligned to the sun.  Thats the sort of detail the lone gunmen would check for before declaring it credible.

The image itself was part of a less flippant go at finding a basis to smooth out the horizontal intensity “step” as a precursor to mirroring the sun, but I decided that whatever I could do would look glitchy so I left it.

OP ablackett 24 Sep 2023
In reply to wintertree:

> I see my dyslexia is rubbing off on other forum users.  

> I hope you appreciate how the shadow is correctly aligned to the sun.  Thats the sort of detail the lone gunmen would check for before declaring it credible.

It looks so natural I didn’t spot it at first. A fine piece of work, well done?

> The image itself was part of a less flippant go at finding a basis to smooth out the horizontal intensity “step” as a precursor to mirroring the sun, but I decided that whatever I could do would look glitchy so I left it.

Thanks for having a go.

wintertree 24 Sep 2023
In reply to ablackett:

> It looks so natural I didn’t spot it at first. A fine piece of work, well done?

Up there with my best.

The photo is driving my potty - looking at the histograms, the change in the camera parameters isn't what I'd expect. I'm going to send it on to a fellow image-camera-obsessive and see what they think is going on.   Some HDR compression as well as gain and offset changes at the very least. 

I think that recovering properly it is going to need some sort of local histogram equalisation and then perhaps a re-application of a global luminance profile in the x-axis.

I had a really quick go at bodging a local histogram equalisation by doing sliding ones in the x-axis based on each of the top and bottom strips of the image and then blending vertically.  Whilst the output is far from acceptable, I think it's got wings, but the initial histogram measurement needs to be delocalised with some sort of filter to avoid the banding and the vertical blending could have more zones.  Once all that's done, someone more adept with photoshop retouching could mirror the sun and tidy up the spikes. 

Edit: I'm doing this programatically; be really interested to see what can be achieved with Photoshop.

Post edited at 19:27

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Sep 2023
In reply to ablackett:

I had a couple of plays with it, the sun is sortable but the dramatic change in the sky is a killer - beyond my paygrade

Chris

OP ablackett 24 Sep 2023
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Cheers Chris, appreciate you having a go.

In reply to ablackett:

How's this? 

https://postimg.cc/gallery/K3jLqgH

See if you can spot what's annoying me but limiting my efforts in the 3 minutes I spent on it  

In reply to Chris Craggs:

I ended up flipping the entire sky in that quadrant then erasing some with a large brush set as softly as I could to gently blend the yellow hues in to the blue. Worked nicely for a quick go. Only niggle was the mirror cloud which I could probably 'disturb' or delete with a bit more effort, but it's Sunday evening and I'm two beers in.. 

timparkin 24 Sep 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Here's a quick play in Photoshop - it'll be fairly hard to get rid of the left hand shading, I hope this looks better though (I admit to a slight addition of another sun radial)

In reply to timparkin:

Good effort  

wintertree 24 Sep 2023
In reply to wintertree:

Whoops, the "before" image I posted is way worse than the actual original.  Not sure how I guffed there.  This photo is gong to be my new go-to for procrastination for some time I think.

In reply to ablackett:

Messing about with it for about 10 minutes. A bit roughly done. Could do it much better with more time.

https://www.gordonstainforthbelper.co.uk/images/UKC-snowdonsunset.jpg

Actually, it’s so rough I think I might wipe it in a minute.

Post edited at 21:39
OP ablackett 25 Sep 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Thanks all, I think that 10 minute effort from Gordon is great.  Brilliant.  Tim and Phillip, again, thank you for your time on this.  

@wintertree - I look forward to seeing what you come up with next, keep me in the loop with your methods of histogram normalisation and programatic calibration referencing. 😏

deepsoup 25 Sep 2023

> Actually, it’s so rough I think I might wipe it in a minute.

Yeah, it's garbage.  Hang your head in shame.

Ha ha - that's possibly the most egregious humblebrag I've ever seen on here.

wintertree 25 Sep 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

> Ha ha - that's possibly the most egregious humblebrag I've ever seen on here.

This.  I’m always in awe of what people can do with photoshop.

In reply to deepsoup:

Well I thought the sky was a bit of a mess - I used the smudge tool. It's a weird thing, PS, for me. Because I've been using it for about a ¼ of a century now, I do it in a kind of dream, making multiple layers and grad filters almost on autopilot. And lots of other tricks. It's almost like driving a car, not being overly conscious of each move. 

OP ablackett 25 Sep 2023

I have noticed a glaring error, you named the file UKC_snowdonSunset.  It's a Langdale Sunrise, I can allow that though.  Many thanks again.  Do you have a local MRT I can send a few pounds to for your trouble, or a PayPal account?

In reply to ablackett:

Oh, I see now. Thanks for pointing out. I thought that must be Llyn Padarn behind but I suppose it’s Windermere, with Stickle Tarn below and Harrison Stickle on the right ??

Lankyman 26 Sep 2023

> Oh, I see now. Thanks for pointing out. I thought that must be Llyn Padarn behind but I suppose it’s Windermere, with Stickle Tarn below and Harrison Stickle on the right ??

I think in that direction it's Coniston Water (or possibly mist in the valley?). Further out it could be Morecambe Bay. You're correct on Harrison Stickle and Tarn.

Bottom Clinger 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

I’m guessing the photo was taken on the path to the north east of Pavey summit, and mist is hovering above the lakes. You can normally see Windermere, with Elterwater half way in between, then moving right wards think Esthwaite and I’m not sure you can see any of Coniston form that angle?  

Will Rupp 26 Sep 2023
In reply to ablackett:

An attempt

Lankyman 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> I’m guessing the photo was taken on the path to the north east of Pavey summit, and mist is hovering above the lakes. You can normally see Windermere, with Elterwater half way in between, then moving right wards think Esthwaite and I’m not sure you can see any of Coniston form that angle?  

Yes, I think you're right. What's probably confused me is forgetting that it's a panoramic shot. I don't think you'd actually see everything in that view without turning yourself (or your head) around quite a lot. I was considering it as a normal photo pointing in one direction.

OP ablackett 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

It was taken from the summit of Pavey, I think you are right about the mist over Elterwater and Windermere.

OP ablackett 26 Sep 2023
In reply to dominob:

That's nice, thank you for the effort.  I'm spoiled for choice.

OP ablackett 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Will Rupp:

Cheers Will, another great effort.  Magic stuff.

Bottom Clinger 26 Sep 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Hokey doke. It’s a bit weird how I (we?) can forget what we can see from certain summits. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...