Passion for climbing, mountaineering and cycling. Trekked in the Dolomites, the Alps, Indian Himalaya, Mt Kilimanjaro and Mt Meru, Ecrins. Climbed mainly in the UK, including Hoy, Scotland, Peak, North Wales, Portland, Swanage and extensively in the Lakes. Cycled Land's End to John o'Groats.
Currently studying medicine at King's College University and president of KCL Wilderness Medicine Society (www.kclwildernessmedicine.co.uk). Previous president of KCL Mountaineering Club (www.kclmc.org). I'm a qualified Summer ML and aim to do A&E/anaesthetics training followed by expedition medical work.
Other hobbies include the piano and cello, listening to jazz and classical music, reading etc.
Email Martin Davies.
Best Climbing Experience
Highlights so far:
- first F7b at Kendal Wall, such a buzz after falling off it a few times finally getting to the top!
- second F7b at Kendal Wall, even better than first one, felt harder and took longer = bigger buzz at top, couldn't believe it when latched onto finish hold!
- first Font 7b, Crazy Horse at Apremont, ticked on 1st day, new skin and fresh!
- first E1, Central Buttress on Scafell Crag, took 6 hours, what a route!
- first E2, Crack of Ages on Torridon. Such an obvious line, awesome route.
- first E3, Telli at Stanage. Soft touch for the tall, part of a great weekend!
- summitting the Barre des Écrins unguided in Summer 2010, awesome to stand on the top of my first 4,000m peak!
- passing my Summer ML Assessment in Summer 2012, culmination of a year's hard graft and putting hill walking ahead of climbing!
Favourite Climbing-Related Discussion Topic
Failings of the E grade, ethics of pegs/bolts, any climbing in the Lakes.
Click to list all my recent posts.
Interests Outside Climbing
Chosen as the Featured Gallery on 05-Oct-09.
Click to search for photos of climbers called Martin Davies.
Click to list photo comments written by me. (8 comments)
I've voted for 234 photos, average vote 4.3.
(60% superb - 22% good - 9% average - 7% poor - 0% rubbish)
Custom Colours for UKClimbing.com
| #b0b0b0 background with #003366 text |
Anything Else We Should Know
Qualified Summer ML
Been Climbing For
4 to 10 years
Indoor - 7b
Trad - E3
Bouldering - f6C
Bouldering - V6
Indoor - 7b+
Bouldering - f7B
Bouldering - V8
Trad Rock Climbing
The Arch Climbing Wall
Several times a week
In the UK
White Wall HS 4b
Unknown Sentry HVS 5a
Armorican HVS 5a
Metamorphosis HS 4b
Yellow Edge HS 4b
Ethos HVS 5a
Chinon HVS 5a
Slab Recess S 4a
Aries VS 4c
Rosary VS 4b
Shiraz E1 5b
Cracked Wall VS 4c
Embankment 3 E1 5b
Great Portland Street HVS 5b
The Bow S 4a
... list all 328 climbs
Top 25 UKC Wishlist Rock Climbs 36%
Top 20 Gritstone UKC Wishlist Climbs 45%
Great VS Climbs in the Lake District 29%
Classic Rock 16%
... list all 5 ticklists
L'Horla E1 5b
Psychotherapy E2 5c
Octo E1 5b
Cuillin Ridge Traverse VD
Tower Ridge D
Left Wall E2 5c
Cenotaph Corner E1 5c
Britomartis HVS 4c
The Dangler E2 5c
Censor E3 5c
... list all 53 climbs