UKC

Warren Harding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
brendonTendon 01 Mar 2002

Warren Harding, first ascentionist of El Cap's Nose and Yosemite pioneer, has passed away from liver failure.

R.I.P.
In reply to brendonTendon:
>
> Warren Harding, first ascentionist of El Cap's Nose and Yosemite pioneer, has passed away from liver failure.
>
> R.I.P.

That's sad news. One of climbing's true legends gone. Best wishes to his friends and family...

"As I hammered in the last bolt and staggered over the rim, it was not at all clear to me who was the conqueror and who was the conquered. I do recall that El Cap seemed to be in much better condition than I was." - Warren Harding
 Al Evans 01 Mar 2002
In reply to midgets of the world unite: Once saw him lecture, a superb character.
jo 01 Mar 2002

RIP Soul Climber.

Jo xx
 Michael Ryan 01 Mar 2002
In reply to jo:

Pints for us tonight Warren?

Mick
In reply to midgets of the world unite:

He must have done a good job because those bolts were still there until very recently! I bet there's plenty of his bolts still on some of his other lesser known 'great' routes like Keeler Needle on Whitney and Harding Route on Coness.

Definitely one of the Greats....
Ian Hill 01 Mar 2002
In reply to brendonTendon: this is a bad week...first Spike and now this...it seems all my heroes die eventually...
OP johncoxmysteriously 02 Mar 2002

Sad news. Remember that great photo of him on the cover of Climbing, leaning out on some gear with those staring eyes?
OP rockfax sucker 02 Mar 2002
In reply to Mick Rockfax Bet your not paying for the pints !
OP johncoxmysteriously 04 Mar 2002

"November 12 1958. Warren Harding, George Whitmore, and Wayne Merry are lashed to a hanging stance 3,150 feet up El Capitan. The days are cold and short, and already afternoon shadows streak up the wall towards them. They gaze overhead and wonder: Will we EVER get off? Will it EVER be over?

On this, their final push, the trio has been on the wall eleven days, twice as long as any American has ever spent on a rock climb. Below in the shadows lies a tale of forty-five pitches spread over eleven months, each day a pitched battle, every lead sieged. They've met obstacles no rock climber has ever seen, let alone mastered - wild pendulums, expanding flakes thin as flapjacks, plus the back-breaking task of hauling vast supplies up the cliff side. And now, only a 50-foot headwall bars them from the top of the mightiest rock wall in the contiguous United States. But that headwall, that last 50 feet, is dead blank and severely overhanging. They'll have to retreat 350 feet to Camp 6 and a good ledge, and tackle the headwall in the morning.

There comes a time in all great climbers' careers where technique or fitness or even genius falls short, when only brute willpower can close the deal. Harding considers his swollen hands, the mangled gear and frayed ropes, the rats that gnawed through haul bags, the rain and sleet and chilling retreats, his running feuds with rangers, the private terrors and sleepless nights and yet just now, hanging in a web of tattered slings, he can nearly spit to the top.

Warren Harding is not going down.

As darkness sets in, Harding starts bolting. And in an epic no climber should ever forget, he hammers through the night, finally punches home the twenty-eighth and last bolt, and stumbles to the top just as dawn spills into Yosemite Valley. The first ascent of The Nose, one of the greatest, and certainly the most sought-after pure rock climb in the world, is a done thing."

John Long, Rock Jocks, Wall Rats and Hand Dogs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...