UKC

SIBL

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fidget 04 Oct 2004
...as in Southern Indoor Bouldering League. Anyone else going to this? Details here http://www.sibl.co.uk/

I've never thought of doing a bouldering competition before, but i got sent an email about this and it sounds quite fun - just turn up and have a go. I've also never climbed at any of the London walls, so I thought I might as well! It'll keep my motivation up over the winter.

I'll be heading down to round 1 with a couple of friends plus my mum&dad (thought I'd let them see my climb in a non-scary environment), if anyone else is going to be there give me a shout and I'll come and cheer you on!
 nniff 04 Oct 2004
In reply to Sarah_Clough:

Good fun. As soon as you don't get a problem first time you know you're not going to win and so you might as well just get on and enjoy it. As that includes most people, it makes the whole affair light hearted and good fun, although there's usually a few who can't cope with being trounced by people shorter/taller/fatter/leaner/younger/older/better/worse than them. Good fun day out, but arrive early. Always people of all abilities there, although I have to confess to having waited unil I was a veteran and had an official excuse for being weak and feeble before I had a go.
OP Fidget 04 Oct 2004
In reply to nniff:

Cheers for that, I'm looking forward to it. I don't expect to do very well, but I'm interested at having a go at climbing in a competition environment.
 nniff 04 Oct 2004

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised - it certainly doesn't feel like a competition (unless you're flashing evrything I suppose), but there is a great incentive to try really hard. Very informal, very easy going.
 Wilbur 04 Oct 2004

it seems you just turn up on the day and register at 9.30am. And anyone can enter for a laff?
 nniff 04 Oct 2004
In reply to Wilbur:

That's about it. Higly recommended.
 stow 04 Oct 2004

The SIBL is a great institution. Keeps you fit through the winter, gets you on types of problems you wouldn't try otherwise, and isn't super competitive -- ie everyone encourages each other. Even if you think you don't like comps you should try it. And Zippy's problem setting is invariably thoughtful and creative -- particularly given what he has to work with at some walls, ahem, Brunel.
 Wilbur 04 Oct 2004
In reply to nniff:

cool - may well turn up for a laugh then. Are there do-able problems though. like 5A-C?
OP Fidget 04 Oct 2004
In reply to Wilbur:

The person organising it told me there's a whole range, from easy to hard. Adults have 25 problems to get round in the day.
 Wilbur 04 Oct 2004

cool - u couldn't forward me the mail could you? i'd like to send it on to some mates...
OP Fidget 04 Oct 2004
In reply to Wilbur:

Just send them the web address, there's more info on there. Go to to Venues & Dates from the top toolbar, and also Extras >> Information.
OP Fidget 04 Oct 2004

Sorry, that should have said Extras >> SIBL Introduction
 Wilbur 04 Oct 2004

ta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...