UKC

Advanced winter climbing coaching

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hornster 14 Oct 2004
Who, in Scotland offers a really decent and worthwhile advanced winter climbing course that won't necessarily break the bank? I am not interested in being dragged up routes like a dog on a lead but rather being coached/instructed in advanced winter climbing techniques and getting to lead some of the pitches myself.
mcgus not logged in 14 Oct 2004
In reply to Hornster:
i suspect you will get all sorts of recommendations based on personal experiences but have a squint at Donald King and Mike Pescod on Abacus Mountaineering. Mike posts on here occasionally. I climbed with Donalda couple of years ago whilst a friend was climbing with Mike. Both are great and I'd use either again very happily. Worth calling Mike to discuss.

Angus
Hornster 14 Oct 2004
In reply to mcgus not logged in: Thanks. Does Mike focus on coaching/instructing as opposed to dragging clients up routes?
 Wibble Wibble 14 Oct 2004
In reply to mcgus not logged in:

I second that. Donald was very good and instructed whilst we led. They'll tailor the day(s) to what you want.

Hornster 14 Oct 2004
In reply to Wibble Wibble: sounds good. Was that private guiding or a course? what are his prices for a week?
In reply to Hornster:

I can't find their website right now. It was me and a mate and we just hired him for a couple of days. It was cheaper than going on a course and you can do exactly what you want. Donald's an MIC and gnarly mixed climber. Mike's probably a Guide by now, and prefers (so Donald said) purer ice routes.
 Pinch'a'salt 14 Oct 2004
In reply to Wibble Wibble:

Try http://www.abacus.sphosting.com/ for Mike and Donald.

In reply to Hornster:

Found it: http://www.abacus.sphosting.com/main.htm

The don't do courses as such, but their prices are very reasonable and as I said, the content is much more within your control.
Hornster 14 Oct 2004
In reply to Wibble Wibble: Cheers for that. It looks and sounds like just what I have been looking for. I'll defo be contacting them.
Geoffrey Michaels 14 Oct 2004
In reply to Hornster:

Mike and Donald are great. Very nice guys and very good climbers + teachers.
gregs 22 Oct 2004
In reply to Hornster:

Done several over last few years, best one by far was by martin moran in the NW Scotland

Look up his web site www.moran-mountain.co.uk
 Lightweight 22 Oct 2004
In reply to Hornster:

Graeme Ettle could be your man. He's a guide and top mixed climber. Although the only drawback I had was that I went out just him and me. This meant I couldn't do any leading - he couldn't take the risk he said. But if I recall, if he takes two people out i think he climbs alongside them sometimes. Ask him, though. He certainly knows tricks of the trade - like rotating your axe in your hand, which wraps the leash around the shaft, pulling your hand higher up it which is handy in certain situations he said.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...