UKC

Manchester climbing wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Crettez 28 Jan 2002
I am french, I going to Manchester tomorrow (29/01/02) until the end of the week. I like to climb!
Could somebody be so nice to tell me if there is a climbing wall in Manchester? How to go there, I will be based in Wimslow, open hours ...

Many thanks in advance

Guillaume Crettez
 sutty 28 Jan 2002
In reply to Crettez:
If you can read enough english try the wall section on this site, just follow the instructions and it will show you the nearest walls.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/walls/index.html
Skinny Pete 28 Jan 2002
In reply to Crettez: Rope Race in Marple is probably the closest wall, with reasonable lead and top rope wall and excellent bouldering. There's also a small wall at Salford University (close to Salford Cresent train station) which is okay. Otherwise, the North West Face in Warrington is just up the motorway and has the best big lead walls.

Check out the UK Walls page on ukclimbing.com and use the search function if you want more details on locations, maps, phone numbers etc.

Have fun,

Pete
Crettez 28 Jan 2002
In reply to Skinny Pete:

Many thanks for your advice.

I just had a look on this site rockfax.comm. I have managed to find out some information about the Rope Race climbing wall in Stockport. Indeed, this should be the nearest one from Wilmslow.

How long do you think it takes by taxi to go from Wilmslow to Rope Race?
And how much money does it cost for the taxi and the for climbing?

Thank in advance.

Guillaume Crettez

Skinny Pete 28 Jan 2002
In reply to Crettez:

It probably takes about half an hour to get from Wilmslow to Rope Race but this depends greatly on the time of day(city roads!). I'm not sure how much this will cost (maybe £10 - £20) as I don't use taxis much. It is possible to use the train which is much cheaper but you have to go into the city centre and out again.

Climbing costs about £5 - £6 for a session and I think the wall is open until about 10pm.

Cheers,
Pete
 Grover 28 Jan 2002
In reply to Skinny Pete:

Rope Race entry fees are about £6.50 since an insurance premium increase. Open to 10pm Mon to Thurs, 9 pm Friday and 6pm (?) Sun/Sat.

big pete 28 Jan 2002
when in Manchester always check out broughton. There is also a couple from france that go fairly often. It's only £3 too. For info go to

www.broughtonwall.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...