UKC

Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bougs 16 Nov 2004
Where is the place to go at the moment for indoor climbing in Manchester ?

Thanks
Iggy_B 16 Nov 2004
Indoors :O In this weather? I know someone who will be on here and will tell you all about Rochdale. Depends where in Manchester you are! Rochdale Marple Salford Warrington or maybe Broughton/BoulderUk for a powerful session. Be wary of the Dunn(e)s they are monopolising NW climbing walls, remind me of the mafia
 scott sadler 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Bougs:
broughton wall on camp street, salford.
Only if you like bouldering though!!
Bougs 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Iggy_B:Would prefer to go outside but over from Guernsey working, so can only do the evenings. Quite new to climbing, so happy top roping to develop my technique or simple leading. Perhaps Broughton is not appropriate, if it's form the experts.

What do you think ?
 The Grist 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Bougs:
You'd be best off going to Warrington or Marple (Rope Race) if you are travelling from South Manchester. Rochdale is supposed to be good in the north but I haven't been. You are right....Broughton bouldering is not the best place for beginners. Though very good if you are a strong boulderer type.

Try putting a message here a couple of days before you will be there and I'm sure you'll get someone to climb with
In reply to Iggy_B:
Be wary of the Dunn(e)s they are monopolising NW climbing walls, remind me of the mafia

Nothing wrong with that. I wonder if they give discounts to people who's mothere's maiden name was Dunne?
In reply to Bougs: Where exactly in Manchester are you?
Bougs 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Richard Bradley: I'll be staying at the Britannia Hotel on portland Street near Picadilly Gardens. I think that's quite central.
Iggy_B 16 Nov 2004
Shame JDs wall isn't open as that would be close! Being central you can go to any of them, Marple NWF(Warrington and Rochdale are the big three
In reply to Iggy_B: In the evening (post rush hour) from the town centre Warrington will take 40 mins to an hour, Rochdale 40 mins ish. Marple i'm not sure of. Is there any way of avoiding the A6?
Bougs 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Richard Bradley: Is there anyway I can get a train to these places. I won't have wheels.
 anonymous1 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Bougs:

your best place ,with no wheels , is at Salford Univ.climbing wall. You can get a train (or even walk) and walk from the station.

Marple is a depressing shite whole not worth bothering with.
 Gary Smith 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Bougs:
You can get a train from picadilly to warrington about 20min journey and 5mins walking.
Also easy to get train to Salford Uni; might even be on same line.
Warrington is probably better tho extremely busy mid week nights.
In reply to Bougs: Warrington train station is on the line to Liverpool. The station is about 5 to 10 mins walk from the wall. Rochedale has a station too. Can't be far from the wall.
 MikeR 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Gary Smith:
Also easy to get train to Salford Uni; might even be on same line

yes it is, though not always the same train.

by the way we have just finished route setting for a bouldering competition at salford wall. it is sponsered by uk rocks, so there are four pairs of evolv shoes going free and eight 25% off vouchers. comp should start by the end of this week and last for about 6-8 weeks.

agreed warrington wall is a lot better, and can be reached by train, i think
OP Anonymous 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Bougs:

sorry to hijack this thread but is salford wall open to the public? i heard a rumour that it was only open to students? can anybody advise?

thanks muchly

rob
In reply to Anonymous: An ex-work mate of mine goes there. He's not a student.
Iggy_B 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Bougs: This rumour has been doing the rounds for ages! I went there a quite a bit before I saw sought something that wasn't polished and they let you in all right.

Rochdale is about 2-5 minutes from the Station just walk out of the front doors of the station, straight up the road, turn right at the end, cross the busy main road at some point and just after a pub theres a road on the left with a church at the bottom and it's there!
Bougs 17 Nov 2004
In reply to Iggy_B: Thanks to all, looks like Warrington then, especially as "anonymous1" says that Marple is shite. Just looked at the Warrington wall website looks good. Trains run very frequently from Manchester, and only take about 30 mins. Nice one.

I guess I should just post on Partners and see if I can get someone to climb with me.Leeds, Tuesday evening, Warrington, Wednesday/Thursday evening.

The Grist 17 Nov 2004
In reply to Anonymous: It is open to anyone. I went yesterday and am a non student. Costs £4. Open Mon - Fri. You need to sign the usual waiver stuff.
 Ian Dunn 17 Nov 2004
In reply to Bougs: Climb Rochdale is only about 10 minutes walk maximum from Rochdale Station and that's 20 min from Picadilly. We don't have a registration fee you can just turn up and climb and we have lots of bouldering of all grades and about 50 routes most of which are between grade 5 and 7a

PS The Dunn's aren't taking over NW climbing walls, we are not related! I am the short slim weak and not so bold one!
Iggy_B 17 Nov 2004
You are! Not that that is a bad thing mate! Anyway JD hasn't been in any recent OTEs has he! I assume that picture is up somewhere in ClimbRochdale! I'm looking forward to trying my new found skills in your wall at Xmas but I don't think I have any new found skills, I thought comming to Sheffield just instantly made you fantastic!
Bougs 22 Nov 2004
In reply to Ian Dunn: Thanks Ian. Taken a look at the website, Rochdale seems easier and quicker to get to (and looks good as well).

Cheers
In reply to Bougs: I'm usually at Rochdale on a Thusrday evening. Say hello if you get along.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...