UKC

Drytooling indoors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flatlander 18 Nov 2004
I was wondering why don't more indoor walls have a woodie section to drytool on for the winter climbers? Or at least a campas board section for ice tools!
Norm 18 Nov 2004
In reply to Flatlander:
I was wondering about this too, but i suppose it is likely to be considered high risk in comparison to other wall activities and drive up insurance etc..
A real shame, would be great to be getting some training in at this time of year.
estivoautumnal 18 Nov 2004
In reply to Flatlander:
One is being built in the Kinlochleven ice wall.
OP Flatlander 18 Nov 2004
In reply to Norm: Ya thats the only reason I can think of, but if you sign another wavier and are willing to have a bit of instruction would that not help offset the insurence?
OP Flatlander 18 Nov 2004
In reply to estivator: Thats cool but I live in London, so not much help
Cushion_Dweller 18 Nov 2004
In reply to Flatlander:

do they have no trees in London? havent been there, but I would hope theres is at least one
Mattress 18 Nov 2004
In reply to Cushion_Dweller:

I know a tree grows in Brooklyn.....
Anonymous 19 Nov 2004
In reply to Flatlander:

glasgow wall at ibrox has specific dry tooling area and has done for ages now!!!
 nniff 19 Nov 2004
In reply to Flatlander:

The Brigham's wall has got an ice free side wall with regular resin holds on it. You can bridge up it, half on ice half not, or no ice at all. It also has some regular hexagonal bolt heads sticking out for teeny single crampon point placements.

Hardly fits into the category of a 'climbing wall for dry tooling' and far from cheap, but excellent for a warmer before heading north (or south). Saves all that first pitch 'How does this work again? How tight did I have my boots last year?' etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...