UKC

DAVE GRAHAM- the worlds strongest climber!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chris D 31 Jan 2002
According to 8a.nu mutant stickman Dave Graham has made the third ascent of Fred Nicole's Dreamtime aka the worlds hardest problem (v15/font 8c) and thus securing his postion as the worlds strongest climber (you can't argue). Dave is just a climbing machine- he performs to the highest level wherever he goes. At home Daves established a number of America's hardest problems. Nothing But the Sunshine (V14) and Circadium Rythym (V14) and the Fly (9a). Whats all the more impressive however is his ability to succeed on the hardest problems/routes wherever he goes. Seems to complete every boulder problem he ever tries. He was the first person to climb Action Directe without training specifically for it and downgraded fred nicole's Elfe (9a+) to 8c in five goes. He's flashed F8b+ and font 8a!
Pheew glad i got that off my chest! Nothern Lights and the Big Bang await Dave!
Arms Cliff 31 Jan 2002
In reply to Chris D:

Surely we sould be encouraging the likes of Vickers, McLure, and dare I say Mr. Dunne, to sort out some F9a climbing.

Yes this guy is awesome but he's a damn YANK!

RW
Chris D 31 Jan 2002
In reply to Arms Cliff:
Nah there all bloody lazy, Daves super physched!
Adrian Paisey 31 Jan 2002
In reply to Chris D: 'At home Daves established a number of America's hardest problems'

Ahh ha, So your one of them!!
 Michael Ryan 31 Jan 2002
In reply to Arms Cliff:
> (In reply to Chris D

> Yes this guy is awesome but he's a damn YANK!
>
> RW

He's a New Englander - from Down East - Maine to be precise.

Mick R

Michael Ryan 31 Jan 2002
In reply to Chris D:

"Northern Lights and the Big Bang await Dave!"

he'll have those for breakfast - is that the best you Limey's can do? ; o )

Mick R
HARRBO 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:hard trad multi pitch
 Michael Ryan 01 Feb 2002
In reply to HARRBO:

What "Headpoint" or "Real Climbing"?

Mick R
 Graeme 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:
Real climbing not headpoint.
Send him to Gogarth, or even better show him some of Fowler's Henna horrors
 TimB 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Graeme:

'Real Climbing'
lol!!
Thanks Graeme, always cheers up the day when someone uses this term!
OP ice 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: Lets see him on Hubble then, and then lets send him up Meshuga, Elegy direct, The Big Issue....
Mozzer 01 Feb 2002
In reply to ice:

giggling crack. fnar fnar
Chris D 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Chris D:
I don't reckon it'll be too long before Dave comes to these shores! He's quite physched for Northern Lights!
South Devon Rock Hugger 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Mozzer:

Or Ray's Roof...
 Michael Ryan 01 Feb 2002
In reply to South Devon Rock Hugger:

Ray's Roof, Gigglin' Crack, Meshuga, Henna Horrors, Gogarth etc....I think you'll find Graham will eat those for desert.....there's no stopping this kid you know. I don't think climbing has seen such talent and motivation.

Mick R
Sloper 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: Mick, what ya doing, we're discussing the rugger and slagging students, P**S off elsewhere if you want to talk about climbing.
Mozzer 01 Feb 2002

i want to see anyone climb 'em, just trying to suggest some bastard tricky (rather than hard, as he is quite good) climbs. Have to ifnd something that needs an ape index of 29 for and genetically engineer someone to do it...
 Tom Briggs 01 Feb 2002

...or hype!
 Michael Ryan 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

His list of achievements aint hype Tom........there's no stopping this boy. His mode of operation is quite impressive......and he travels and talks at a million miles an hour.

I'm sure when he puts his mind to it he'll achieve something very impressive in the traditional field - big wall, multipitch trad, or headpoint.

M
 Tom Briggs 01 Feb 2002

His "mode of operation".....does he work for the CIA?
Billy the Kid 01 Feb 2002
It seems to me, having seen Dave's tick list that his biggest problem will be finding something that is hard enough for him. Action direct is very impressive indicating a very strong crossover between his ability on routes and in bouldering also. Imagine if he got strong arms!
NeilK 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Chris D:

Just don't anyone tell him about the V15 project at Trowbarrow.

Shit...
 Michael Ryan 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:
> (In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA)
>
> His "mode of operation".....does he work for the CIA?

That's top secret Tom.

M

Dom Orsler 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Chris D: I posted praise for Dave a while ago just after he did AD and got a right good slagging from almost everyone (quelle surprise!).

The general feeling among North American sport climbers seems to be that Chris is God and Dave is brilliant, but a long way from Chris in terms of overall ability. People see him as a boulderer or very short route climber, able to crimp like nobody - just watch him send the Mandala and you'll see what I mean about crimps! AD is also relatively short, but, like I said in my last post about him, you absolutely have to acknowledge him as incredible for doing AD like he did. If it took Wolfgang that long, then it is obviously a very, very significant achievement to have done it so quickly.

He's absolutely tiny, as well. Pretty short and stick thin. Some say this is how he manages stuff, but just wait until he does the same kind of bulking up that Sharma did and develops some real power. I can imagine people like Dave and Sharma doing 9c in ten years' time as long as they don't burn out and maintain their infectious enthusiasm for everything (and Chris lays off the herb a bit).

And, in my opinion, Dave would absolutely piss all over Hubble, as it is very short and pretty crimpy.
Chris D 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Dom Orsler:
I think the difference between Chris and Dave is physche. These days Chris is happy just travelling the world, relaxing, smoking doing a bit of climbing and just chilling out! Dave on the other hand is pretty clued up on the worlds hardest boulder problems/routes and he wants to go and climb them and test himself! Considering how quickly he climbs Font 8b i doubt Hubble would pose much resistance!

In reply to NeilK:
Soz Nige, he's on the next flight over, send my apologies to the bald one!
 Michael Ryan 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Dom Orsler:

"The general feeling among North American sport climbers seems to be that Chris is God and Dave is brilliant, but a long way from Chris in terms of overall ability"

That's maybe how the media portray it but in reality it's a little different. Chris has been the Golden Boy for quite some time, especially since his and Tommy Caldwells Summer Trip ticking the USA's hardest sport climbs - then you've got Just Do It, Necessary Evil, Mandala, and Realisation.

However - overall Grahams CV is far more impressive as regards quantity, new climbs established......and level of difficulty.

He'll do Realisation quite soon I think.

Mick R
Dolworth 01 Feb 2002
> Fred Nicole's Dreamtime aka the worlds hardest problem (v15/font 8c) and thus securing his postion as the worlds strongest climber (you can't argue)

Is it just me or is it lost somewhere in this argument (or non-argument) that some guy named Fred climbed this two years ago? Reckon he must be pretty strong, eh?
 Michael Ryan 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Dolworth:

I think it got lost somewhere Bobler.

M
Dom Orsler 01 Feb 2002

"That's maybe how the media portray it but in reality it's a little different"

No way, dude! I'm talking the word at the crag and in the gym, here. Still, I suppose it just depends upon where you climb and who you hang with. I try to stay away from media stuff these days. It's usually just old news with stale opinions. I learnt that back in the UK when I used to get OTE every month.
 Michael Ryan 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Dom Orsler:
> (In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA)
>
> "That's maybe how the media portray it but in reality it's a little different"
>
> No way, dude! I'm talking the word at the crag and in the gym, here.

Dom - I mean Dude, Eh! Don't they get most of there info from the web and print.

They're both totally rad, dude. But Graham can't compete with the Sharma imagemakers. Plus, like me, David talks too much and expresses his opinion.

Yo

M
Billy the Kid 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Dom Orsler:
I think the reason Chris gets so much attention and respect is not solely because of his achievements but because he embodies all that is so great about climbing. He oozes charisma and is such a nice guy, really supporting of his fellow climbers, and has a really laid back and fun attitude toward climbing.
 Michael Ryan 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Billy the Kid:

Spot on Billy - but so does DG except he has an intensity which some find un-nerving.

M
Dolworth 01 Feb 2002
In reply to Billy the Kid:

I think that the 'attention and respect' also has something to do with the fact that Chris has made a habit of disappearing for months at a time and then showing back up in a cloud of pungent smoke only to climb something ridiculously harder than before, or win an international competition with his wallet sticking out of his rear pocket.
 Michael Ryan 02 Feb 2002
In reply to Dolworth:

Dolworths right you know Billy.

Next weekend Bob - 5.14 on wires at my secret crag - I'll bring my cloud of punget smoke and we can't fail.

M
Dolworth 02 Feb 2002

I'll be there amigo.

Bob
 Michael Ryan 02 Feb 2002
In reply to Dolworth:

....... bring Steve and the Stumpy Babbler....

we can discuss our assault on Tom the Invincible.

The time is now.....lots of fluffy snow...

M
Chris D 02 Feb 2002
In reply to Chris D:
Chris has definetely got more of an aura about him which seems to be out of proportion to what he's actually done (compared to Dave). There's just someone about him which gives him a star quality!
OP Ross C 02 Feb 2002
In reply to South Devon Rock Hugger: Where is Ray's roof? I've seen dawes fail on it on his vid, and I know it's the baldstones, but never bin there. Where's it near? Only know the stanage/millstone area for grit
OP jonas 04 Feb 2002
In reply to Chris D: Yeah, Chris Sharma is handsome and Dave Graham is downright ugly. That expains a lot of the difference in "star quality".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...