UKC

Pete Eats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ian J 30 Nov 2004
Is it just me or has the food in Pete's Eats gone down the pan in the last few years. Doesn't help that it's the same menu they had 15 years ago.
 Skyfall 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Ian J:

yes but it would be heresy to admit it !
Alan 30 Nov 2004
In reply to JonC:

"Burn him...........He's a witch"!!!

Ian J 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Alan: Hold on a minute, I haven't boycotted the place.............Im scared to show my face there now!
timmy5 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Ian J: I agree since the refit the chips have certanly gone down hill. I took a group in there recently and they all moaned about the over cooked food.
 Fidget 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Ian J:

I haven't had a bad meal there yet! I always have something different too, even if it's breakfast I'll be sampling the spag bol etc.! They know how to cook a jacket spud too - more than I can say for the pub down the road from my work.
Iggy_B 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Ian J: Why should they change the menu? What can be better than HUGE piles of greasy food
 Andy Harbach 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Ian J:

I go there frequently and none of our group have ever had any complaints.
Liathac 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Ian J: I have often been known among my group of freinds for ranting about the poor quality of the fry ups at Petes eats. (I dont know about there cakes and stuff).

Excuses have been made for the fact that "its difficult to cook for so many at a time" I dont agree with this, I have cooked a complete fried breakfast including hash browns and black pudding for up to 60 Mountain Rescue trainees doing their foundation course and aslong as you start with the best and freshest of ingredients, cook them as little as possible then your on to a winner, and Im just an amatuer.

If you want to start with the cheapest ingredients then your doomed from the start.

Petes eats has been over rated for years
5.10 Ken 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Liathac:

> Petes eats has been over rated for years

I agree. And some of the staff are wankers too.

The pictures on the walls are nice tho. Which is nice.

Fidget 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Liathac:

You've got to give them credit for the speed that they bring out your food though, especially when the place is always packed. I think that's a great achievement, especially when you want to get out to the crags.
wire 30 Nov 2004
In reply to 5.10 Ken:
If you want people to say 'have a nice day' with every order then go to your local Harvester.
Iggy_B 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Ian J: Of course no one is forcing any of you to eat there...or are they?
Liathac 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Sarah_Clough: Sarah we were talking about how good the food is not how fast they can deliver up some tosh.

However I am biased as I have just made a roast topside of beef, new potatoes, courgettes and baby leeks in butter, roasted parsnips, gravy and horseradish sauce. Took two hours and theres only me here to eat it!
Iggy_B 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Liathac: Can I come round, I'm poor and hungry
5.10 Ken 30 Nov 2004
In reply to wire:

Nah, couldn't give a shit about their manners.

My reasons are my own and all that.
gavin g 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Ian J:

As a connoisseur of fried breakfasts nationwide, the full English there is reasonably plentiful, but well below average in terms of quality.

There’s also no point going there on a weekend if you actually want to do anything that day
 Philip 01 Dec 2004
Went to N Wales few weekends ago with the club, including an american girl. When she got home and phoned her dad (a climber - although he's never been to the UK), the first thing he askd was did she go to Pete's Eats.
 sutty 01 Dec 2004
In reply to Ian J:

not impressed with quality, but the quantitty cannot be faulted. Perhaps they need to open petes epiqure restaurant to cater for those who want quality over quantity.

It does have disabled loos though 3* for that.
 IMA 01 Dec 2004
In reply to Ian J: where the !!!! is petes eats, i no i dont normally eat out in cafe sorta places, but iv never seen or heard of it until this topic... or am i just livin in some secluded shell
 Marc C 01 Dec 2004
In reply to iain abernethy: LLanberis!

I haven't been recently, but I've always found the food to be 'good hearty fare' - just the job with a mug of tea.
 stanoslav 01 Dec 2004
In reply to iain abernethy:

'or am i just livin in some secluded shell'
Obviousley the answer to that is yes!

The other answer is, 'Llanberis'

Nice caf, nice pictures on the wall and plenty of room to spread yourself about.

There are other cafs in north wales though, for instance the alpine cafe in Betws-y-coed, the breckfast at plas-y-brenin are very good and you don't have to be a resident to enjoy them.

Overall though for location, chilled out atmosphere and reasonable grub i would say petes is hard to beat.

IMA 01 Dec 2004
In reply to stanoslav: have to remember to try it wen im in N wales next
Fex Wazner 01 Dec 2004
In reply to Ian J:

Ths standard fry ups are below par and expensive. However, monster omlette and chips is a winner, spinach thing and lasagne were all good last time I went too.

Chips have been known to be over done, but the last few times I've been there they have been top. Salads are mega.

In general, I'd say the quality can vary and good staff are often hard to get when the weather is good.

The rest of Pete's eats rocks including library, new internet, accomodation, map room, showers and the man himself's attitude.

Fex.
 Rubbishy 01 Dec 2004
In reply to Ian J:

S'ok, but you can't beat Bernies in Ingleton for pints of tea and an open fire.

If you like women with beards (like Darren Jackson does) then this is your place - chock full of speleo monkeys.
Carbonum Jist 01 Dec 2004
In reply to Fex Wazner: There is definitely good value to be had in Pete's. It's always a good idea to spend some time looking at the menu, and not just nervously blurting out "eh.... Large breakfast, please....!"
As for the staff, you should all spend one day working there in the summer. You'd find that they all do a great job! I did one day's work there in 1995, and it was a crazy experience! It left me with nothing but respect for the poor souls who are there all year round!
It's worth mentioning that the management of the cafe are currently looking to change the photo-walls, so dig out your snaps and get them immortalised!!!!

fnord
Bob kate bob 01 Dec 2004
In reply to Ian J:
Pete's Eats may not be what it once was, but it still is a lot better than Longlands in Hathersage was.

Though wasn't Longlands under new management recently?, maybe it has gotten better?

BKB...
 Skyfall 01 Dec 2004
In reply to Bob kate bob:

Talking of which, what about Eric's? Has he managed to sell it yet? Very selfishly, I hope not or my trips to Trem may never be the same again
 Anni 01 Dec 2004
In reply to John Rushby:

Never had a problem with petes. The gravy there is lush with big onioney bits. Cracking place I rekon.

Anni 01 Dec 2004
In reply to Bob kate bob:

Yep longlands is under new management and isnt that good at all. Not been impressed.
 Rubbishy 01 Dec 2004
In reply to Anni:

I agree, never had a problem with it.

What we do need is a decent cafe in the Lakes, I sadly miss the lean to cafe in Glenridding.
 Skyfall 01 Dec 2004
In reply to John Rushby:

> What we do need is a decent cafe in the Lakes, I sadly miss the lean to cafe in Glenridding.

Excuse me - what about Shepherds cafe?!
 net 01 Dec 2004
In reply to John Rushby:
> What we do need is a decent cafe in the Lakes, I sadly miss the lean to cafe in Glenridding.

Definitely! Wilf's is pretty good but isn't that handy unless you've been round Kentmere way. Pippins in ambleside isn't bad for fry-ups though, and the Apple Pie for (v expensive) cake. Where in Glenridding was the lean to?
 net 01 Dec 2004
In reply to JonC: Does do excellent carrot cake!
 Rubbishy 01 Dec 2004
In reply to net:

It was next to the paper shop on the left as the lake is on your right, now occupied by an extension. It comprised a wooden lean too which served great bacon butties mainly to bikers, climbers and roadies.

Disappeared about 1993.
Sharky 01 Dec 2004
In reply to 5.10 Ken:

>
> I agree. And some of the staff are wankers too.
>
That's abit harsh!

They work hard to earn a living and feed the Llanberis community not just myopic egocentric climbers who are more concerned about seeing their pictures on the wall.

Its always been good in there because of the atmosphere AND the large platefuls of food

Don't knock it unless you can do better!
Sharky 01 Dec 2004
In reply to JonC:

> Excuse me - what about Shepherds cafe?!

Its probably the best little cafe in the North of England, not just the Lakes

Sheperd's Cafe is the best for location, scones and meeting the greatest rock climbering story teller still alive - Ray McCaffie!
Ian J 02 Dec 2004
In reply to Ian J: I still go to Pete's now and again and there isn't really a good alternative in 'Beris. I still love it for the fact that it is the original climbing/food institute in N Wales. I'm not into the breakfasts and the chips though. Although it has slightly less kudos I prefer Erics, it's in a more esoteric setting, the foods better and Eric is a star and a half. I will miss him when and if he sells up.
Hotbad Peteel 02 Dec 2004
In reply to Ian J:

i've not been impressed with petes lately. The foods too fatty to climb well afterwards. They say they've got healthy stuff but apart form vege food its just fry ups far as i can tell. If i'm wrng i'd like to know what else they do is nice
PT
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:

They do nice big jacket potatoes.
Bolton71 02 Dec 2004
In reply to Charlotte in Anni's Basement:
In reply to all

Have you or anyone you know ever managed the "big Jim" in Pete's.

I and my girlfiend always eat there on our trips to NW and always find it fine even though she possibly the fussiest eater on the planet.
Liathac 02 Dec 2004
In reply to Ian J: It seems from a lot of the responses on here that most people prefer quantity

similar to the guy at work " I will tell you where to stop for a steak, just off the M6 and you get loads" and what you do get is garnish and onion rings on one half, McDonalds style chips and a steak that you wonder why they bothered asking you how you liked it.

Or the canteen dinner lady at school, chips are burnt but you can have extra. eh?
OP Anonymous 02 Dec 2004
In reply to Sharky:
> They work hard to earn a living and feed the Llanberis community not just myopic egocentric climbers who are more concerned about seeing their pictures on the wall.
Yeah, it must be hard to make any money on soup at £3 a bowl?

> Its always been good in there because of the atmosphere AND the large platefuls of food
But i think most peoples comments relate to the fact that they'd rather have a smaller portion and better quality!

> Don't knock it unless you can do better!

Can we look forward to you recommending your own cafe soon (recommended as if from a satisfied customer!!)

Jus 02 Dec 2004
In reply to Ian J:

I've always been impressed by the friendly atmosphere, quick service & the quality & portion size of the food.

I've never had a proper greasy fry-up there so can't comment about those, but the huge mugs of coffee sure are good.
Dave Collier 02 Dec 2004
In reply to Jus:

Just to throw in my ha'pennies worth, I think it's a fab place and very accomodating of almost any form of humanity including children (unlike Bernies in Ingleton which hates children or women without beards). However I do think the consistency of the food served needs to be looked at but on the whole it tends to be a bit too greasy so I think there's room for a bit of improvement there. Mind you the queues would be even longer if the food was better....
 Duncan Bourne 03 Dec 2004
In reply to Ian J:
can't say as I have noticed any drop in quality myself
 CENSORED 03 Dec 2004
In reply to Duncan Bourne: I think some people expressing negative opinions on here are harking back to the days of their uncouth youth, where quality was unknown to them and quantity was what really counted. Now that they have developed a cultured palate, it's the opposite of rose tinted spectacles!
 Duncan Bourne 03 Dec 2004
In reply to CENSORED:
reckon so. I like quality but quantity still counts too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...