UKC

Winter skills course.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hobgoblin 11 Jan 2005
Hi everyone

I know this isnt strictly a 'climbing' related question, but im hoping someone may be able to help.

Im looking to do a winter skills course to give me the confidence to move beyond my current plateau!

Basically, i have done my summer ml course, and have plenty of summer experience. I was also a leader for my walking/hiking club back at uni (couple of years ago) and have done a fair amount of winter walking, but nothing involving any ropework.

I have used ice axes and crampons before a few times (although i may be a little rusty), and want to do a course that will give me sufficient skills to maybe undertake slightly more daring routes.

I am mot by any means a climber, and dont really have any desire to become one! Although i have given it a go, but im more of an adventurous hill walker really, and quite fancy learning the skills needed to do (and maybe lead with some of my mates) some gully/ridge routes (maybe winter I/II) but no more then that. I also feel it would be good to get useful skills for maybe some wintery walking in the alps...but again nothing crazy (e.g. TMB in winter)

Im also flat broke (student debts!), and cant really afford that much!

Does anyone know of any courses/centres that may be able to help me out?

PS If it could be combined with an introductory ski-mountaineering course for a reasonably competent piste-basher that would be great too! (only jokin...sort of

whatdoiknow 11 Jan 2005
In reply to Hobgoblin:hey hobgoblin,buy a winter skils book,read it then go out and do it,winter walking and mountaineering is an adventure treat it like one!
Keep your eyes peeled for that there pesky shifting snow
and you'll be fine.Just remember small steps he he.

Have fun mac.
 sutty 12 Jan 2005
In reply to Hobgoblin:

When I lived in the IOM we had a member of the MFRCC that would fairly call himself a walker who asked the same question.
I suggested he try Glenmore lodge or PYB as they were what I knew of at the time.
He chose Glenmore and came back eyes gleaming after learning so much and having been encouraged to get up slopes he would have thought impossible before.

In the summer, we got him on his first real rock climb in the lakes, one of those routes by Ullswater used by outward bound and two days later he did Corvus with us, leading the top easy pitches as his confidence had increased so much.

He learned to use crampons and axes and snowhole and a bit of avalanche awareness.

If that is what you want contact one of the centres, or one of the BMG to see if they do the same thing.

You will come back knowing a lot more about the mountains in winter, in fact more than a lot of people who go regularly but never take a course.

http://www.bmg.org.uk/about.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...